• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wally

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
What did you think of Wally in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald? Did you consider him a rival like May or Brendan? Did you like his character arc and how he got really strong at the end of the games?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked Mitsuru (Wally) on paper since he was given an illness that he had to overcome, but his character development wasn't that interesting in retrospect since he didn't appear that often in the main storyline of R/S/E. So when we eventually fought in Saiyu (Ever Grande) City, his development seemed too quick and unbalanced.

TwilightBlade

I never thought of Wally as a real rival, more like a recurring character who was almost like our protege since we helped him catch Ralts. I wish that May/Brendan could be rebattled the way Wally was in RSE.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
I never thought of Wally as a real rival, more like a recurring character who was almost like our protege since we helped him catch Ralts. I wish that May/Brendan could be rebattled the way Wally was in RSE.

I didn't think of him as being on par with Haruka (May) or Yuuki (Brendan), either. Mitsuru (Wally) didn't have the same rival music as they did in R/S/E as far as I can remember, so I always considered him to be just a regular trainer who we just so happened to meet early in the games.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Never thought of him much but I will say that I never saw him as a real rival. He was too minor of a character in RSE and I didn't like his green hair either. I'm just picky like that.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What did you think of Wally in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald? Did you consider him a rival like May or Brendan? Did you like his character arc and how he got really strong at the end of the games?
It's weird. At the time of release of Ruby & Sapphire, I never really thought of him as a real rival or even as a character at first. He was just kind of there and the thing is most Pokemon fans I knew as a kid appear to feel the same way or perhaps never really felt anything because I never really saw anyone talked about Wally at the time. At the time, I've never really seen a Wally fanbase until I discovered Pokemon Adventures. In the Pokemon Adventures manga, I not only discover how compelling and amazing Wally's character is but also quite possibly the biggest Wally fanbase there was at the time who were incredibly dedicated to the character that they actually expressed their anger when they found out that the Emerald Chapter would not feature Wally as the main character since they've always considered Wally as one and the rightful "third" trainer to Sceptile since Wally's team in the manga is themed around the color green.

Since the Pokemon Adventures manga, I still saw no love for Wally outside of the manga as I grew up until ORAS hit. I don't know if it's the 3D visuals, the Gallade, the music or the awesome battle background at the end but love for Wally exploded when the ORAS remakes hit. Kind of strange looking back to all of it don't you think? At first you don't see anyone talking about Wally, then you discover that the Pokemon Adventures fanbase loves Wally's character, then years later your wondering where did all these Wally fans come from?

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
but I wish he battled you more often during the main storyline and had a full team with better attacks in Victory Road.

That part always bothered me considering that he could be re-battled yet he still didn't have a sixth Pokemon in R/S/E. If I could choose, I would've given him something like Huntail since no NPCs owned one in those games outside of battle facilities.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
I didn't think of Wally as a rival I just saw him as a character that appeared early in the game and who came back stronger than ever at Victory Road. But he was never our enemy just our friend.

In a way, he was almost like our student or protege since we were with him when he caught his first Pokemon, which is strange in hindsight since at that point in the games we were newbies as well.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
I think Wally's (intended) development from a sickly, weak kid to a top trainer is much more distinctive than if he was another jerk rival - the only other trainer who goes from being weak to an actual rival is probably Hau, and even then they're two rather different characters personality-wise. Wally actually had quite a strong team at Victory Road, but his appeal as a rival is held back by how little he appears during the game.