• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Walt Disney Animation/PIXAR Movies

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I can't seem to find a post in regards to this so I may as well start it.

So, for PIXAR, these are the movies coming out

Inside Out (Don't spoil it for me, It's not out in the UK yet)
The Good Dinosaur

And for Walt Disney Animation Studios, these movies are coming out

Zootopia/Zootropolis
Moana

So, discuss here upcoming, or, current Disney Animation and PIXAR movies!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
To be frank, what's there to discuss that hasn't already been said? I hate what Disney's been doing the last several years, but I still love them. I've been disappointed by their last two movies, though, and after seeing the teaser trailer for Zootopia, I honestly don't know what to think of it. I got Chicken Little vibes, which isn't a good thing, even though I know it's not Chicken Little, but it's probably because it wasn't creative enough. Also, a red fox is our protagonist? If they want to do a fox, fine, but why a red fox? And Moana could be interesting, but it does depend on its execution. I made a vow to myself that if these two don't do it for me, I may stop seeing their newer films (with one exception down below). I've been liking DreamWorks more than Disney, anyway.

As for Pixar, with exception of Brave and Cars which were "meh" (still have of yet to watch Cars 2 all the way), I've loved their films. I feel like I owe Inside-Out an apology for being so skeptical of it especially since it was directed by Pete Docter, but I'm still worried about The Good Dinosaur due to its production problems. I am looking forward to seeing Finding Dory next year (I believe it's next year), and Incredibles 2 when it's ready to come out. I'm still very, very iffy about there being a Toy Story 4, because the third one ended so perfectly, and I know that was Disney's idea like Cars 3 was their idea.

Really, I think the only thing I've agreed with Disney on lately has been the confirmation for a Wreck-It Ralph 2, even though I liked how that movie ended as well, and I didn't care too much if there was a sequel or not. Although let's be honest, Disney sequels tend to not be very good, with some very few exceptions. So I think it'd be easy to screw up WIR2, but if the same people are still involved with it, I think it'll be in good hands--and not because they promised to put Mario in the movie.

To be frank, what's there to discuss that hasn't already been said? I hate what Disney's been doing the last several years, but I still love them. I've been disappointed by their last two movies

I made a vow to myself that if these two don't do it for me, I may stop seeing their newer films (with one exception down below). I've been liking DreamWorks more than Disney, anyway.

Sorry for being that guy, but that is just completely unfair to Big Hero 6. Not only did Baymax top Wall-E in the category of "endearing robot," but the villain had one of the most relatable motives in any Disney movie ever. It was a masterpiece and it completely deserved its Oscar. The only DreamWorks movie nominated was How to Train Your Dragon 2, and it was definitely not Oscar material.

Let me state the best explanation I can possibly give someone on these Forums for why Big Hero 6 had a tremendously better story than How to Train Your Dragon 2: Both, believe it or not, had a story reminiscent of the story in particular anime that you know. The story in Big Hero 6 was similar to Digimon and the story of How to Train Your Dragon 2 was similar to Pokémon.

I don't think I have to tell you that's not a good thing!

I was going to put a spoiler with a description of the similarities between each of those movies and the anime series I mentioned, but then I realized that I'm not sure whether you've seen How to Train Your Dragon 2. Suffice it to say that a significant plot point in it is something I'm sure I've seen at least a handful of times as an easy way out of a difficult situation in the Pokémon anime, and somehow it's even worse here. Now... I guess we just move on to the part of the discussion where I wonder what on earth you think DreamWorks made in 2014 that was better than Big Hero 6?

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I can't wait to see The Good Dinosaur. I'm a major dino buff, the other movies you said look good too.

Speaking of, I just saw the new trailer and THANK GOD, that kid now looks adorable and not scary like the poster leak from last year made him out to be, and Arlo actually grew on me. I think the trailer as a whole convinced me to rest easy, so now I can't wait to go see it. And if that piece of music (before the song, unless that counts, too) is part of the soundtrack, I think the music's going to tug at my heartstrings again, it sounds gorgeous. I also have this feeling that the dialogue may be rather lacking this time. It's still there, but it might go into WALL-E territory there, and that's probably what I'm looking forward to the most. They proved with WALL-E (at least for the first act, but in other scenes afterwards as well) that dialogue can be virtually gone and the movie can still work through visuals and audio alone, so if this movie does it again, that'll be a joy.

But I'm getting Land Before Time vibes lol. It's unfortunately not going to be as harsh, though.

Alola Adventurer

I'm still very, very iffy about there being a Toy Story 4, because the third one ended so perfectly, and I know that was Disney's idea like Cars 3 was their idea.
Toy Story 4 is Pixar's idea. Not Disney's:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-animation-special-20141107-story.html

"A lot of people in the industry view us doing sequels as being for the business of it, but for us it's pure passion.
We only make sequels when we have a story that's as good as or better than the original.
We don't just, because of the success of a film, automatically say we're going to do a sequel and then figure out what we're going to do."
- John Lasseter

dabbido

Fiery Passion
Just saw the new trailer for The Good Dinosaur and I'm very impressed! Doesn't seem to be much comedy or action focused. More of a heart-warming emotional movie.

Teasers or trailers can be tricky though. Like when the first Frozen teasers were shown and I only saw Olaf's comedy sketches, I thought "this will be a comedy movie, with over-using the snowman as comedy relief". But it turned out to be nothing like that. I hope I'm not wrong this time though, this looks so good as it is.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
No interest for The Good Dinosaur, mind you. It doesn't have that good a hook in my opinion

I believe that, recently, Pixar and Disney have switched quality and are just now switching back

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
To be frank, what's there to discuss that hasn't already been said? I hate what Disney's been doing the last several years, but I still love them. I've been disappointed by their last two movies, though, and after seeing the teaser trailer for Zootopia, I honestly don't know what to think of it. I got Chicken Little vibes, which isn't a good thing, even though I know it's not Chicken Little, but it's probably because it wasn't creative enough. Also, a red fox is our protagonist? If they want to do a fox, fine, but why a red fox? And Moana could be interesting, but it does depend on its execution. I made a vow to myself that if these two don't do it for me, I may stop seeing their newer films (with one exception down below). I've been liking DreamWorks more than Disney, anyway.

As for Pixar, with exception of Brave and Cars which were "meh" (still have of yet to watch Cars 2 all the way), I've loved their films. I feel like I owe Inside-Out an apology for being so skeptical of it especially since it was directed by Pete Docter, but I'm still worried about The Good Dinosaur due to its production problems. I am looking forward to seeing Finding Dory next year (I believe it's next year), and Incredibles 2 when it's ready to come out. I'm still very, very iffy about there being a Toy Story 4, because the third one ended so perfectly, and I know that was Disney's idea like Cars 3 was their idea.

Really, I think the only thing I've agreed with Disney on lately has been the confirmation for a Wreck-It Ralph 2, even though I liked how that movie ended as well, and I didn't care too much if there was a sequel or not. Although let's be honest, Disney sequels tend to not be very good, with some very few exceptions. So I think it'd be easy to screw up WIR2, but if the same people are still involved with it, I think it'll be in good hands--and not because they promised to put Mario in the movie.

Ironically, I believe that Dreamworks has been the disappointing company. For clarity, Frozen only got the hate it got because of being unnecessarily exposed to death with the franchise and the constant singing of Let It Go. Ironically, I suppose the worldwide praise for the movie ended up having the effect in which the people who hate the movie grew in numbers and it just became a cult following to hate on Frozen. I mean Olaf doesn't even shout his lines and he has some left field dialogue so I don't see the unwanted hate on him. Frozen deserves the praise it's gained: I'm still supportive of this movie as it subversed Disney tropes in a more plot relevant manner and having the most successful animated movie of all time have two distinct female characters that do not fall on female stereotypes is nothing short of praiseworthy. As far as Big Hero 6 goes, it did have the trouble of placing so many surprise reveals, when it fact, these surprises reveals can be discovered a mile away... regardless, I personally believe that it does not detract from the emotional core of the movies premise: bereavement, vengeance and healing (all executed by Hiro and Baymax).

To be fair, the very first Disney teaser trailers are there to establish the characters. As a signal of relief, the director of Wreck-It Ralph is also working on Zootopia so it's going to be nothing like that abomination called Chicken Little. Here's what the movies world is going to look like: C9F5D56F-1F82-48D7-BD77-70DBB876C743.jpg As far as PIXAR goes, I'm just concerned about Finding Dory. She was a hilarious Tritagonist, however, making her a primary character may be tough to execute even for PIXAR and Cars 3 is probably going to be PIXAR first ever dud.

Sorry for being that guy, but that is just completely unfair to Big Hero 6. Not only did Baymax top Wall-E in the category of "endearing robot," but the villain had one of the most relatable motives in any Disney movie ever. It was a masterpiece and it completely deserved its Oscar. The only DreamWorks movie nominated was How to Train Your Dragon 2, and it was definitely not Oscar material.

Let me state the best explanation I can possibly give someone on these Forums for why Big Hero 6 had a tremendously better story than How to Train Your Dragon 2: Both, believe it or not, had a story reminiscent of the story in particular anime that you know. The story in Big Hero 6 was similar to Digimon and the story of How to Train Your Dragon 2 was similar to Pokémon.

I don't think I have to tell you that's not a good thing!

I was going to put a spoiler with a description of the similarities between each of those movies and the anime series I mentioned, but then I realized that I'm not sure whether you've seen How to Train Your Dragon 2. Suffice it to say that a significant plot point in it is something I'm sure I've seen at least a handful of times as an easy way out of a difficult situation in the Pokémon anime, and somehow it's even worse here. Now... I guess we just move on to the part of the discussion where I wonder what on earth you think DreamWorks made in 2014 that was better than Big Hero 6?

I personally see Baymax and Wall-E as two distinct robots and they're both endearing in their own way. Wall-E wants to find love and achieves it through Eva and Baymax wants to accomplish his programming as a healthcare robot and he achieves that purpose by serving Hiro. Wall-E was designed with the PIXAR philosophy of "What if robots had emotions?" which is why Wall-E emotes so much emotion. Baymax in comparison has been designed as an advanced healthcare protocol that only looks like it is emotional, when in fact, it's just advanced programming. I respect them both in equal merit, however, I prefer the design of Baymax just because he's a Japanese robot made by Disney.

Just saw the new trailer for The Good Dinosaur and I'm very impressed! Doesn't seem to be much comedy or action focused. More of a heart-warming emotional movie.

Teasers or trailers can be tricky though. Like when the first Frozen teasers were shown and I only saw Olaf's comedy sketches, I thought "this will be a comedy movie, with over-using the snowman as comedy relief". But it turned out to be nothing like that. I hope I'm not wrong this time though, this looks so good as it is.

That's the funny thing about the very first Disney teaser trailers, people think that "Oh they sold out, what is this?", when in fact, it's just initial hype for the upcoming Disney movie.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

I remember that quote, and it's true, no doubt about it. I think my main problem with it is that I don't want to be disappointed by Pixar again. I don't mind that Toy Story continues in shorts, it's just that the third movie has been so critically acclaimed that I don't know if Pixar's really going to top it again. A very good trilogy is extremely rare, and so the already-fine line that the third movie cleared just got even more fine with the announcement of a fourth, and it worries me.

Still, I'm thinking Pixar should start laying off on sequels. Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2 should be the last sequels we get from them for a long while.

Ironically, I believe that Dreamworks has been the disappointing company. For clarity, Frozen only got the hate it got because of being unnecessarily exposed to death with the franchise and the constant singing of Let It Go. Ironically, I suppose the worldwide praise for the movie ended up having the effect in which the people who hate the movie grew in numbers and it just became a cult following to hate on Frozen. I mean Olaf doesn't even shout his lines and he has some left field dialogue so I don't see the unwanted hate on him. Frozen deserves the praise it's gained: I'm still supportive of this movie as it subversed Disney tropes in a more plot relevant manner and having the most successful animated movie of all time have two distinct female characters that do not fall on female stereotypes is nothing short of praiseworthy.

Whether the hype had anything to do with it or not, I do not like Frozen because it wasn't a well-written movie, everyone held the idiot ball at least once, Elsa (well, the movie) had an identity crisis in whether she was the villain or not, the villain himself is just not that memorable of a villain, the climax was one of the lamest climaxes I've seen, the songs just weren't fun, the animation looked lackluster (and that's ignoring the whole "It's just like Tangled" argument), and Disney's had better female characters--Mulan best comes to mind, although Nani and Lilo had the better sister relationship. (Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more movies about sisters, but I didn't "get it" with Anna and Elsa.) I also hated how the trailers (or at least the ones on TV) basically said it was the "best experience since The Lion King". I know it's marketing and selling itself, but Disney shouldn't have to toot their own horn like that, or even try to make it out to be the best thing ever since The Lion King. It actually would've been hilarious if Frozen hadn't done as well as it did, but whatever.

But it at least felt like a Disney movie, albeit not a good one. That's why I'm disappointed with Big Hero 6 so much, because I didn't feel that Disney magic with it. Next to the fact that the "coming-of-age" story used in the movie has been done better with other movies and shows that I honestly don't know what new things it brought to the table, if at all.

To be fair, the very first Disney teaser trailers are there to establish the characters. As a signal of relief, the director of Wreck-It Ralph is also working on Zootopia so it's going to be nothing like that abomination called Chicken Little.

Even so, I'm going to remain skeptical about it. Even with Rich Moore as the co-director (with Byron Howard who co-directed Bolt and Tangled), that doesn't automatically mean the movie's "saved". I don't see this being a "masterpiece" film, to be honest. It'll probably be decent at its worst depending on its execution, although it'd be terrible if it was forgettable.

As far as PIXAR goes, I'm just concerned about Finding Dory. She was a hilarious Tritagonist, however, making her a primary character may be tough to execute even for PIXAR and Cars 3 is probably going to be PIXAR first ever dud.

I get your concern, and I do agree, though she could have hidden depths to her that being a main character could bring out. Hard to say at this time, but I think as long as she doesn't take the spotlight from the other characters, it should be fine. And I don't think Cars 3 is going to be their first-ever dud, it's going to make back its money, no doubt about it. But only time will tell if it's better or worse than the second one. *still has to sit and watch Cars 2 despite having caught the last ten minutes on TV once*

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Eh, I sort of disagree with you. I think that Disney's been on a consistent 'good' streak since Tangled and have enjoyed all four of its movies since then. I think the movies have become a bit more inventive in terms of plot and I like a lot of the characters in them. That said, I do feel that Frozen and Big Hero 6 are somewhat flawed (even if I do like them) so I can understand why you might think differently. I'm wondering how Zootopia will turn out - it's hard to judge anything based on the current trailer.

I saw Inside Out yesterday, and it lived up to the hype. I don't really cry at movies, but I did feel sad at many moments and was actually quite contemplative for a while after seeing the film. The characters were all good and likeable (this film didn't need a villain, and so I'm glad that there wasn't one, and that all the emotions were in the end treated as worthwhile and that all of them simply tried to do what they thought best for Riley) and I thought that it showed the effects of grief and depression really well too. There weren't any problems with pacing or anything, and the humour as well as the poignant parts both worked well. After several years of poor-to-average films, it's nice to see Pixar's standards back again.

That said... not thrilled about the Good Dinosaur. From the trailers, it doesn't look bad as such, but I think there's a bit of a missed opportunity with the concept of dinosaurs co-existing among humans, and apart from that, the film doesn't appear to be doing much new. From what I've currently seen, the film just appears to be okay. Not to mention all of Pixar's sequels (most of which are utterly unnecessary... especially Toy Story 4). It seems like Inside Out's return to form may only be temporary.

OptimusZygarde

Butterfly fanatic
I absolutely loved Big Hero 6. It's probably my 2nd favorite Disney movie with The Lion King being my 1st. It actually made me cry pretty good, and I'm one of those people that rarely likes to express my emotions openly to most people. I also really like that despite it being based on a Marvel property, it still felt like it was its own unique film.

For the whole "Disney VS Pixar VS DreamWorks" deal, I avoid that argument like the plague. I think all three have put out some pretty good movies that I've genuinely enjoyed. Definitely looking forward to the 3rd installments of Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon, and hoping that they don't do anymore sequels for those. Po's and Hiccup's stories I feel are finally starting to come to a close, please don't pull a Shrek and just keep dragging it on longer than necessary.

I hope Moana is really good. Other than that though, the only future movie I'm looking forward to is Incredibles 2. That one has deserved a sequel for Arceus knows how long, let's hope that long wait for it will be worth it.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'm good with how Disney has been mostly. I know the cool/hipster thing to do is to hate on Frozen and all the success it made. And I do not think it was by any means a perfect movie. But I enjoyed Frozen if only because I've walked in the main characters shoes of slowly losing a older sibling and longing to be with them. That is what sold me on Frozen. Not the music (though I love Do You Want to Build a Snowman way more then Let it Go) not the effects, certainly not the lame villain. This was the first Disney movie I could relate to on such a personal matter and is why I ultimately enjoyed it, and no amount of haters could change my mind on it. Though I 'm dreading Frozen 2. How on earth will they make that without it not looking like a fanfic. I also wonder with Frozen's backlash how Lion King would have done today with the internet being around and people being so snarky?

From Princess and the Frog to Frozen I have enjoyed all of Disney's hits. Tangled and Wreck it Ralph are also two I enjoyed. But to be honest, I wasn't big on Big Hero 6. I enjoyed Hiro and Baymax relationship, but everyone else I was kinda like, meh. It's alright. This one I wasn't crazy for. But by no means a bad movie.

I recently saw Inside Out from Pixar and loved it. It's going to join Frozen, Tangled and Wreck it Ralph in my Blu-Ray collection when it finally comes out. I nearly cried during Inside Out. If you have seen the movie, you know why. Wonderful movie.

So for me, Disney/Pixar have been good, minus the Cars franchise. Other then them I have no complaints with how they are doing movie. None of them are perfect but what movie is? So I'm good with them.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Walt Disney Animation/PIXAR responses response

Whether the hype had anything to do with it or not, I do not like Frozen because it wasn't a well-written movie, everyone held the idiot ball at least once, Elsa (well, the movie) had an identity crisis in whether she was the villain or not, the villain himself is just not that memorable of a villain, the climax was one of the lamest climaxes I've seen, the songs just weren't fun, the animation looked lackluster (and that's ignoring the whole "It's just like Tangled" argument), and Disney's had better female characters--Mulan best comes to mind, although Nani and Lilo had the better sister relationship. (Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more movies about sisters, but I didn't "get it" with Anna and Elsa.) I also hated how the trailers (or at least the ones on TV) basically said it was the "best experience since The Lion King". I know it's marketing and selling itself, but Disney shouldn't have to toot their own horn like that, or even try to make it out to be the best thing ever since The Lion King. It actually would've been hilarious if Frozen hadn't done as well as it did, but whatever.

That’s the thing with the key characters from Frozen, their “idiot ball” flaws are actually relatable to some people. Elsa is so introverted that she prevents herself from gaining the help and support she needs to be able to control and maintain herself. Anna on the other hand is so extroverted that anybody can take advantage or scrutinise their trustworthiness. I should know, I can personally relate with Anna for being too trustworthy. Thing is though, it makes sense for Elsa to be who she is because her parents conditioned her to seal her powers away essentially sealing away her personality. It also makes sense for Anna to be who she is because Elsa and her parents inadvertently did not provide Anna affection and love during the younger years due to Elsa’s powers. The true culprits in the movie were the parents themselves. They could be argued that they were not well written. I loved Hans reveal, it was an ironic reality check that reinforces the consequences of being too trustworthy to strangers and it was also a change in values from “love at first sight”. Hans in himself is a great villain because he is the personification of The Mirror from the original Snow Queen tale. He mirrors the personality traits of Anna, Elsa and even the Duke Of Weaselton when he is talking to them in order to be deceptive to all three of those characters.

And to be brutally honest, Lion King is not the golden pillar of Disney movies that people claim it to be. I loved the characters and the premise, however, there’s two crucial flaws that people overlook for the movie because “It’s so nostalgic”. Firstly, Hakuna Matata has a terrible message. I’m optimistic myself but “No worrys for the rest of your days” is a far worst message than “The past is in the past” and it is nonsensical. Alongside that, Simba was going to confront Scar and he only striked Scar once he admitted that he killed Mufasa. Had Scar not done that then Simba would have let his fears overpower him and be theoretically killed!

Even so, I'm going to remain skeptical about it. Even with Rich Moore as the co-director (with Byron Howard who co-directed Bolt and Tangled), that doesn't automatically mean the movie's "saved". I don't see this being a "masterpiece" film, to be honest. It'll probably be decent at its worst depending on its execution, although it'd be terrible if it was forgettable.

That is a very pessimistic mind frame. Think like that once the movie comes out and you will not enjoy the experience at all whatsoever. And what exactly is the problem if this movie’s claimed as “A Masterpiece”? It’s opinions not fact. You do not have to succumb to those opinions. Just be ambivalent to the movie entirely until you watch it for yourself. Being pessimistic for the movie is only going to be ruining your experience watching it.

Eh, I sort of disagree with you. I think that Disney's been on a consistent 'good' streak since Tangled and have enjoyed all four of its movies since then. I think the movies have become a bit more inventive in terms of plot and I like a lot of the characters in them. That said, I do feel that Frozen and Big Hero 6 are somewhat flawed (even if I do like them) so I can understand why you might think differently. I'm wondering how Zootopia will turn out - it's hard to judge anything based on the current trailer.

I saw Inside Out yesterday, and it lived up to the hype. I don't really cry at movies, but I did feel sad at many moments and was actually quite contemplative for a while after seeing the film. The characters were all good and likeable (this film didn't need a villain, and so I'm glad that there wasn't one, and that all the emotions were in the end treated as worthwhile and that all of them simply tried to do what they thought best for Riley) and I thought that it showed the effects of grief and depression really well too. There weren't any problems with pacing or anything, and the humour as well as the poignant parts both worked well. After several years of poor-to-average films, it's nice to see Pixar's standards back again.

That said... not thrilled about the Good Dinosaur. From the trailers, it doesn't look bad as such, but I think there's a bit of a missed opportunity with the concept of dinosaurs co-existing among humans, and apart from that, the film doesn't appear to be doing much new. From what I've currently seen, the film just appears to be okay. Not to mention all of Pixar's sequels (most of which are utterly unnecessary... especially Toy Story 4). It seems like Inside Out's return to form may only be temporary.
Yeah, if a movie is popular, quite a lot of people use the movies peak of popularity as the opportunity to hate upon the movie as that is an easy task to accomplish.

Inside Out made me cry too and I too do not cry with Pixar movies either. Merlin protecting Nemo, Andy giving his toys away and UP’s beginning montage was melancholy… but this movie legitimately made me cry simply because of a particular character (which chances are, everybody cried for too). As far The Good Dinosaur goes, have a little patience for the next trailer. It’ll solidify the emotional core. I’m just concerned that it will be tarnished due to comparing it towards Inside Out…

I absolutely loved Big Hero 6. It's probably my 2nd favorite Disney movie with The Lion King being my 1st. It actually made me cry pretty good, and I'm one of those people that rarely likes to express my emotions openly to most people. I also really like that despite it being based on a Marvel property, it still felt like it was its own unique film.

For the whole "Disney VS Pixar VS DreamWorks" deal, I avoid that argument like the plague. I think all three have put out some pretty good movies that I've genuinely enjoyed. Definitely looking forward to the 3rd installments of Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon, and hoping that they don't do anymore sequels for those. Po's and Hiccup's stories I feel are finally starting to come to a close, please don't pull a Shrek and just keep dragging it on longer than necessary.

I hope Moana is really good. Other than that though, the only future movie I'm looking forward to is Incredibles 2. That one has deserved a sequel for Arceus knows how long, let's hope that long wait for it will be worth it.

Honestly, I believe that DreamWorks are a shadow of their former self. They used to be bold, creatively unique and ambitious with The Prince Of Egypt, The Road To El Dorado and Stallion: Spirit Of The Cinnamon… don’t get me wrong, I love Guardians Of The Galaxy and I am a huge fan of the Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon Series, however, aside them two successful franchise, DreamWorks is bringing out mediocre movies like Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Home.

I’m honestly at an even split between Disney Animation and Pixar. I see them in equal regard, recent Disney Animated movies seem to be stronger with the comedy and have cooler character design and world building whilst Pixar seems to have the stronger moral messages and more unique elements within their movies (with their whole “What if” analogy)… Inside Out is an exception to me as I see that as a western adaptation of a Miyazaki movie as it does not dumb down for the target audience and the intricacy of the world is very reminiscent of Miyazaki caricature which is amazing too! As far as Moana goes, it features Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a Demi God which is awesome!

I'm good with how Disney has been mostly. I know the cool/hipster thing to do is to hate on Frozen and all the success it made. And I do not think it was by any means a perfect movie. But I enjoyed Frozen if only because I've walked in the main characters shoes of slowly losing a older sibling and longing to be with them. That is what sold me on Frozen. Not the music (though I love Do You Want to Build a Snowman way more then Let it Go) not the effects, certainly not the lame villain. This was the first Disney movie I could relate to on such a personal matter and is why I ultimately enjoyed it, and no amount of haters could change my mind on it. Though I 'm dreading Frozen 2. How on earth will they make that without it not looking like a fanfic. I also wonder with Frozen's backlash how Lion King would have done today with the internet being around and people being so snarky?

From Princess and the Frog to Frozen I have enjoyed all of Disney's hits. Tangled and Wreck it Ralph are also two I enjoyed. But to be honest, I wasn't big on Big Hero 6. I enjoyed Hiro and Baymax relationship, but everyone else I was kinda like, meh. It's alright. This one I wasn't crazy for. But by no means a bad movie.

I recently saw Inside Out from Pixar and loved it. It's going to join Frozen, Tangled and Wreck it Ralph in my Blu-Ray collection when it finally comes out. I nearly cried during Inside Out. If you have seen the movie, you know why. Wonderful movie.

So for me, Disney/Pixar have been good, minus the Cars franchise. Other then them I have no complaints with how they are doing movie. None of them are perfect but what movie is? So I'm good with them.

THANK YOU. Somebody else who is sick of the Frozen hate. I understand the over-exposure but some people just bash the movie like it’s the worst thing to have ever been placed in cinema. Far from it, it is a legitimately amazing movie (it just so happens to have an overused song). Home On The Range and Chicken Little are terrible concoctions that deserve the Frozen hate…
I can understand your distaste for the rest of the characters in Big Hero 6 aside Hiro, Baymax and Tadashi… they were severely underdeveloped. Did you know that Yokai had a military background?! But that was never explained and explored due to a lack of character development within the movie. Don’t get me wrong, I too love Big Hero 6 but I see your perspective about the movie too.

On a side note, the very first YouTube video I created by myself is an analysis of the Zootopia/Zootropolis trailer. It was originally an idea that was brewing in my head which I decided to practically execute and it turned out better than I expected. Through the teaser trailer, I’ve speculated the Red Herring, Secondary Antagonist and Primary Antagonist. I’m open to honest criticism with the video as it is my first attempt at doing something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a62vu7nZ_M

I personally see Baymax and Wall-E as two distinct robots and they're both endearing in their own way. Wall-E wants to find love and achieves it through Eva and Baymax wants to accomplish his programming as a healthcare robot and he achieves that purpose by serving Hiro. Wall-E was designed with the PIXAR philosophy of "What if robots had emotions?" which is why Wall-E emotes so much emotion. Baymax in comparison has been designed as an advanced healthcare protocol that only looks like it is emotional, when in fact, it's just advanced programming. I respect them both in equal merit, however, I prefer the design of Baymax just because he's a Japanese robot made by Disney.

Oh, I totally agree that they are each endearing in their own way. I do, however, stand by my statement that Baymax is the more endearing one.

I also hated how the trailers (or at least the ones on TV) basically said it was the "best experience since The Lion King". I know it's marketing and selling itself, but Disney shouldn't have to toot their own horn like that, or even try to make it out to be the best thing ever since The Lion King. It actually would've been hilarious if Frozen hadn't done as well as it did, but whatever.

That is the right complaint with the wrong reasoning behind it, as you are essentially faulting marketing for being marketing. They are highly likely to pick quotes from positive reviews in a decidedly non-representative sense. What they can be faulted for is for choosing a quote that was so far outside the consensus of reviewers (approximately the farthest it could possibly be), and in so doing they guaranteed that some people would react in the way you did. It's not so much like overselling something as it is like selling something entirely different.

Home On The Range and Chicken Little are terrible concoctions that deserve the Frozen hate…

Hmm. I've never seen Home on the Range, but I thought Chicken Little had some things going for it. Mind explaining what is so bad about it?

Honestly, I believe that DreamWorks are a shadow of their former self. They used to be bold, creatively unique and ambitious with The Prince Of Egypt, The Road To El Dorado and Stallion: Spirit Of The Cinnamon… don’t get me wrong, I love Guardians Of The Galaxy and I am a huge fan of the Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon Series, however, aside them two successful franchise, DreamWorks is bringing out mediocre movies like Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Home.

Uh, I just gotta check: Did you mean to say Guardians of the Galaxy?

That said, I haven't seen as many DreamWorks movies as Disney or Pixar movies, but I wouldn't have said Mr. Peabody & Sherman was mediocre. Just, after comparing it with Big Hero 6 and The Lego Movie, I reluctantly had to say it was not something I'd award an Oscar.

I can understand your distaste for the rest of the characters in Big Hero 6 aside Hiro, Baymax and Tadashi… they were severely underdeveloped. Did you know that Yokai had a military background?! But that was never explained and explored due to a lack of character development within the movie. Don’t get me wrong, I too love Big Hero 6 but I see your perspective about the movie too.

Would you mind pointing out where you found out that the villain had a military background? Because if that detail was from the comics, it could be that they departed from the source material there, as they did in like a billion other places that ultimately made it sooooo much better than if they had followed it more closely! (To be completely clear, I'm saying that I'm totally not convinced that military background adds anything to just how great of a villain that movie had.)

But to be honest, I wasn't big on Big Hero 6. I enjoyed Hiro and Baymax relationship, but everyone else I was kinda like, meh. It's alright. This one I wasn't crazy for. But by no means a bad movie.

Seriously? I know that all female characters not named Aunt Cass had too few opportunities to do or say things that explain the character, but what about Fred? Or the villain? I'm not kidding you, the villain's motivation has to be one of the best in all of Disney villainy.

Eh, I sort of disagree with you. I think that Disney's been on a consistent 'good' streak since Tangled and have enjoyed all four of its movies since then.

THANK YOU. Somebody else who is sick of the Frozen hate. I understand the over-exposure but some people just bash the movie like it’s the worst thing to have ever been placed in cinema. Far from it, it is a legitimately amazing movie (it just so happens to have an overused song).

Actually, Kutie Pie is not wrong about Frozen being poorly written. (Though, Lion Demon, you brought up some very interesting points that I didn't quote.) Don't get me wrong, I disagree with some of her criticisms of it, but that doesn't change the fact. Let me cite one thing that helps explain this:

Has anyone posting in this thread heard any of the tracks from the two-disc Frozen soundtrack? I recommend it to anyone who liked the movie (which I did, mind you), since it has songs that didn't make it into the movie, and these show some things about how the plot and characters were changed before it was released. In the final product, the world is not as rich, and important background details that would have tied the story together are literally unraveled. The characters were also different, though not all to the same degree. It seems the final product makes the characters not have as clear motivations. And in fact...

One of the songs that didn't make it in is called "Life's Too Short", and I think it is absolutely excellent. It deals with the conflict between the two sisters, and by contrast, the final version of the movie simply trivialized this element. "Life's Too Short" shows these characters actually having some moral flaws, with Elsa being much more clearly and seriously out-of-line. In my view, comparing this version of the characters to the version in the movie as released shows just how much the people in charge couldn't handle a Disney Princess with the capability to do seriously bad things out of bad motives; in short, a Disney Princess who is evil or at least struggling with evil inside.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
That’s the thing with the key characters from Frozen, their “idiot ball” flaws are actually relatable to some people. Elsa is so introverted that she prevents herself from gaining the help and support she needs to be able to control and maintain herself. Anna on the other hand is so extroverted that anybody can take advantage or scrutinise their trustworthiness. I should know, I can personally relate with Anna for being too trustworthy. Thing is though, it makes sense for Elsa to be who she is because her parents conditioned her to seal her powers away essentially sealing away her personality. It also makes sense for Anna to be who she is because Elsa and her parents inadvertently did not provide Anna affection and love during the younger years due to Elsa’s powers. The true culprits in the movie were the parents themselves. They could be argued that they were not well written.

Just because it's relatable doesn't automatically make it any less frustrating. If it was better written, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I do agree that the parents were the worst, though, one of the very few times where I didn't care that the parents were killed off. They were morons anyway, albeit rather effective morons as their stupid parenting pretty much made the sisters who they were as you said. But you would still think there would be better people looking out for them after their parents died (Elsa I kind of get, but why did Anna stay at home again and not go socialize? Did that decree really still stand after the king and queen died?), I sincerely doubt they were left to fend for themselves and that Elsa remained locked in her room until her coronation.

I loved Hans reveal, it was an ironic reality check that reinforces the consequences of being too trustworthy to strangers and it was also a change in values from “love at first sight”. Hans in himself is a great villain because he is the personification of The Mirror from the original Snow Queen tale. He mirrors the personality traits of Anna, Elsa and even the Duke Of Weaselton when he is talking to them in order to be deceptive to all three of those characters.

Even so, still doesn't make him any more memorable for me, even if his motivation for why he did the things he did made some sense. I honestly think Elsa should've been the villain, even if she ended up reformed at the end.

And to be brutally honest, Lion King is not the golden pillar of Disney movies that people claim it to be. I loved the characters and the premise, however, there’s two crucial flaws that people overlook for the movie because “It’s so nostalgic”. Firstly, Hakuna Matata has a terrible message. I’m optimistic myself but “No worrys for the rest of your days” is a far worst message than “The past is in the past” and it is nonsensical. Alongside that, Simba was going to confront Scar and he only striked Scar once he admitted that he killed Mufasa. Had Scar not done that then Simba would have let his fears overpower him and be theoretically killed!

I don't see The Lion King as the golden pillar either, but I do believe that it really is the pinnacle of the Disney Renaissance (although I feel Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan were the best of the Renaissance movies), and thus it's a high standard for the company itself at least in terms of animation and music. Does it have the best story? Ignoring the whole “it's Hamlet with lions”, it's not a bad premise, albeit one that has been done to death over the ages. There's nothing “new” about the story itself, but it was the way it was presented that made it “different”, and it stands out to a lot of people, and thus it's considered a “masterpiece” at story-telling. Kind of like how the Star Wars trilogy is considered to be one of the best epics of a hero's journey for forming a three-act structure with traceable key turning points with each movie having their own three-act structure and key turning points.

I would also dare-say that it took chances that Disney hasn't really done since. While I believe the best Disney villain is a tie between Frollo and Maleficent, Scar is pretty much one of the very few Disney villains who actually succeeded in murdering a character, and has an awesome villain song to boot. He's also probably the most intelligent who happened to have a flaw to him that became his downfall.

“Hakuna Matata” has a bad message (damn that catchy beat, though), but in the context of the movie, it fits the scenario because of the two characters who are singing to a lost Simba (who don't know who he is, mind you), and as a bonus serves as a transition for us to get to an adult Simba. (It's also one of the most well-known scenes of the movie next to Mufasa's death, so what can you do.)

Scar traumatized Simba and fed him lies that he believed because he was a naïve kid, and it was made worse when Mufasa died as that was who he looked up to for guidance. Scar had pretty much gone insane from the power as king that he let his pride (eh? Eh?) get to him. Now I think he was a better villain before he took over, but he reaped what he sowed, so I suppose it does fit the character, and his death's one of the most brutal and karmic to date.

That is a very pessimistic mind frame. Think like that once the movie comes out and you will not enjoy the experience at all whatsoever. And what exactly is the problem if this movie’s claimed as “A Masterpiece”? It’s opinions not fact. You do not have to succumb to those opinions. Just be ambivalent to the movie entirely until you watch it for yourself. Being pessimistic for the movie is only going to be ruining your experience watching it.

Ha, well, I was rather skeptical of Inside Out (I have a friend who was much more harsh about it) until that beautiful first scene opened up. That was when all of my pessimism went away, and I fell in love with the movie. It's true that some movies are harder to market than others, so trailers are going to be shit majority of the time. First reactions aren't a bad thing, sometimes the first reaction is correct, but depending on the expectation one has, it usually is an over-reaction, or a “judged a book by its cover too soon” scenario.

I will be colored surprised if Zootopia turns out to be a very good movie rather than just “good”, but as of now, I'm going to assume it'll be somewhere in the middle and hope it at least stays that way even if I end up a little disappointed in the end. I'm like that with all movies anyway, knowing I can't properly judge them until I see the movie for myself. (Also, a bad theater experience can ruin the enjoyment of the movie. Having kids scream in the middle of an emotionally-clad scene is very hard to ignore.)

DreamWorks is bringing out mediocre movies like Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Home.

Home I can understand even though it was a kids' movie, but how was Mr. Peabody & Sherman mediocre? That movie was the most underrated animated film of 2014 (I didn't see The Boxtrolls), it saddened me to see it do so badly at the box office.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Oh, I totally agree that they are each endearing in their own way. I do, however, stand by my statement that Baymax is the more endearing one.

That is the right complaint with the wrong reasoning behind it, as you are essentially faulting marketing for being marketing. They are highly likely to pick quotes from positive reviews in a decidedly non-representative sense. What they can be faulted for is for choosing a quote that was so far outside the consensus of reviewers (approximately the farthest it could possibly be), and in so doing they guaranteed that some people would react in the way you did. It's not so much like overselling something as it is like selling something entirely different.

Hmm. I've never seen Home on the Range, but I thought Chicken Little had some things going for it. Mind explaining what is so bad about it?

Uh, I just gotta check: Did you mean to say Guardians of the Galaxy?

That said, I haven't seen as many DreamWorks movies as Disney or Pixar movies, but I wouldn't have said Mr. Peabody & Sherman was mediocre. Just, after comparing it with Big Hero 6 and The Lego Movie, I reluctantly had to say it was not something I'd award an Oscar.

Would you mind pointing out where you found out that the villain had a military background? Because if that detail was from the comics, it could be that they departed from the source material there, as they did in like a billion other places that ultimately made it sooooo much better than if they had followed it more closely! (To be completely clear, I'm saying that I'm totally not convinced that military background adds anything to just how great of a villain that movie had.)

Seriously? I know that all female characters not named Aunt Cass had too few opportunities to do or say things that explain the character, but what about Fred? Or the villain? I'm not kidding you, the villain's motivation has to be one of the best in all of Disney villainy.

Actually, Kutie Pie is not wrong about Frozen being poorly written. (Though, Lion Demon, you brought up some very interesting points that I didn't quote.) Don't get me wrong, I disagree with some of her criticisms of it, but that doesn't change the fact. Let me cite one thing that helps explain this:

Has anyone posting in this thread heard any of the tracks from the two-disc Frozen soundtrack? I recommend it to anyone who liked the movie (which I did, mind you), since it has songs that didn't make it into the movie, and these show some things about how the plot and characters were changed before it was released. In the final product, the world is not as rich, and important background details that would have tied the story together are literally unraveled. The characters were also different, though not all to the same degree. It seems the final product makes the characters not have as clear motivations. And in fact...

One of the songs that didn't make it in is called "Life's Too Short", and I think it is absolutely excellent. It deals with the conflict between the two sisters, and by contrast, the final version of the movie simply trivialized this element. "Life's Too Short" shows these characters actually having some moral flaws, with Elsa being much more clearly and seriously out-of-line. In my view, comparing this version of the characters to the version in the movie as released shows just how much the people in charge couldn't handle a Disney Princess with the capability to do seriously bad things out of bad motives; in short, a Disney Princess who is evil or at least struggling with evil inside.

I totally agree about the deleted song. It's way better then what the movie did during that part. Elsa in general would have made a better villain then the one we got, even if she was a inadvertent villain. Her backstory called for it with dumb parents that go "Elsa you freeze stuff! Go to your room until your queen and no dessert." parents of the year. Too bad that song didn't make it in the movie.

As for Big Hero 6. I forgot about Fred and Tadashi. They are two other characters I also liked. Not as much as Hiro and Baymax. The villain's motives were better then I thought they'd be, but the villain himself wasn't memorable. At least for me. For a superhero movie I expected more villain lines that would be memorable. I don't think Big Hero 6 was a bad movie, I just thought I'd enjoy it more. The superhero parts of the movie felt lacking. One thing I am disappointed they didn't do was have Baymax speak his health care lines while attacking evil. Imagine Baymax punching the bad guy in the face and then saying "On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain?" that would have been a memorable fight quote. Again not a bad movie, I just expected a little more enjoyment out of it.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
By a 'good' streak, I meant it in the sense that I personally enjoyed all of those films. If you or Kutie Pie didn't like Frozen and Big Hero 6, it's fine, since it's mainly a matter of personal taste anyway. I do agree that both of those movies are quite flawed - specifically, I think that Frozen's villain doesn't hold up at all and the sisterly relationship isn't built up well enough at the start of the film (Anna was 3 - she'd barely remember that stuff), whereas I think that the last portion of Big Hero 6 drags on massively by introducing another conflict. But for me, the good elements of those films stick out more than the bad. I understand that not everyone would think the same. I'm not saying Disney's been releasing a steady stream of masterpieces here, but rather that in my opinion, they've been fairly consistent in terms of not making anything I'd consider outright bad (though this can include okay films). If you disagree, that's fine, not every film is for everyone after all.

Navin

MALDREAD
All I know is I watched the stampede/Mufasa's death + Simba's roar scene on Youtube recently, and I nearly cried. Even if it wasn't perfect, I still think it's the best Disney film.

As for Good Dinosaur, I'm not going to doubt Pixar after Inside Out, which didn't all that great in the previews either.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Home I can understand even though it was a kids' movie, but how was Mr. Peabody & Sherman mediocre? That movie was the most underrated animated film of 2014 (I didn't see The Boxtrolls), it saddened me to see it do so badly at the box office.

Honestly, I seen Mr. Peabody and Sherman: what exactly is so special about that animated movie? It left absolutely no impression upon me whatsoever.

Even so, still doesn't make him any more memorable for me, even if his motivation for why he did the things he did made some sense. I honestly think Elsa should've been the villain, even if she ended up reformed at the end.

Originally Elsa was a villain. The result of this draft was that it made the movie a carbon copy of The Little Mermaid. Elsa was going to be an Ursula like villain who would try and deceive Anna for her Frozen heart. That was too generic and predicable. I’m glad they went with what they had. Sure, Hans reveal as a villain may have been a little too late, however, I disagree that Hans was not memorable. One of the reasons as to why Frozen was so successful was the fact that he was a surprise villain. He was deceptive, he did have dark intentions that the audience were unaware of, and best of all, throughout the movie: Hans gave subtle hints as a villain within the movie.

The character designer for Big Hero 6 confirmed it. It’s why he’s so versatile and bulky as Yokai. It also links with the reason as to why he was granted access of Project Sparrow when his daughter was going through with the portal demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf3PDyotxDI
^ Watch this: it pretty much sums up how terrible Home On The Range is.

Baymax speak his health care lines while attacking evil. Imagine Baymax punching the bad guy in the face and then saying "On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain?" that would have been a memorable fight quote. Again not a bad movie, I just expected a little more enjoyment out of it.

To be honest, that is against Baymax’s protocol. He was never designed as a robot. He was only a superhero as part for Hiro’s healthcare protocol. Heck, you could easily argue that the hero persona’s in Big Hero 6 was a facade in itself. The movie isn’t really about superheroes; rather, it’s about Hiro’s emotional journey through dealing with bereavement. At least, that’s how I see it as.