• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Warning: European versions of ORAS may be failing

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Article from Nintendo LIfe

There have been several cases noted on both Reddit and ResetEra that European versions of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have been starting to fail.

This has also been a problem with Persona Q and possibly Smash 3ds.

I would recommend those in Europe to look at their games and see if they still work.
As far as people know, this isn't a problem elsewhere.

Xionea

Half a centaur

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
My Omega Ruby stopped working a few years ago. Every time I tried to do certain things like fishing, checking the PC and talking to the move relearner, the game would crash with the “An error has occurred” message. My Alpha Sapphire works fine. Both are PAL copies I got on release day.

Might be worth noting that Pokémon Bank could still read the save file so I was at least able to get my important Pokémon off of it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Failing as in they can't start it up / boot the game at all?
In many cases, they can't boot up the game.
I've heard of some, including Requiem Aeternam's anecdote that the game will crash after a while after loading it.
My Omega Ruby stopped working a few years ago. Every time I tried to do certain things like fishing, checking the PC and talking to the move relearner, the game would crash with the “An error has occurred” message. My Alpha Sapphire works fine. Both are PAL copies I got on release day.

Might be worth noting that Pokémon Bank could still read the save file so I was at least able to get my important Pokémon off of it.
I've been hearing that the save data is still in tact for these copies.

Maybe I'm naive, but couldn't one transfer their save onto a digital copy?

Xionea

Half a centaur
PAL is a TV format, there's no such thing as "PAL 3DS games".
Oh really? I didn't know that. I knew the 3DS was still region locked so I figured it was under the same format as home consoles, so I guess PAL region would have been more accurate to say. My bad.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My copies of OR/AS are North American English and Japanese, so I assume that they haven't been affected, although I haven't played them in years and I'm not quite sure where they are since I have so many boxes of stuff laying around. It's a shame that apparently some copies of the games are faulty: it's almost like the G/S/C internal battery issue all over again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Tested out my US copies of OR and AS last night and thankfully they work ok.

This sucks though. :( That so many people's games are affected by this.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The article I linked to in the first post recently posted this YouTube video and the following:

[UPDATE - 6th May: With regards to the ORAS issue, we had a reader reach out to us, @Voultar, who may have identified the cause of the cartridge problem, and it may explain why it has seemingly affected a particular batch in meaningful numbers. It is anecdotal of course, but you can view the video below, in which re-soldering the chip seems to get the game working again. It's an interesting potential fix, even if it's not possible at this point to confirm it as a 100% solution.]

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
My european pal cartridge version omega ruby isn't affected so far. Only problem is GTS...it has a tendency to brick the system when manually seeking trades on GTS like other games. Hate having to turn off the console.

Mewtwo's Amber

Don't cry Mewtwo
As I am in America my cartridge should not be affected but I find this worrisome just the same as if this can happen in some regions there is no reason it can't happen here as well (not that I know of anyway) and my AS is loaded with shinies I spend a lot of time hatching or DexNaving.

I'm not naive as I was when the internal battery in my Silver cartridge died and I lost a lot of sentimental data despite having the option of preserving my Pokemon on both Stadiums, I have considered investing in an SD card to preserve my save data before and now I that know it's a significant need I'll make it more of a priority.

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I have a digital copy of Y. I've been replaying it and just beat the last gym two nights ago. I got an error message that says "The saved data is not compatible with this version, so it can't be used." Does that mean I've lost my entire save file?