• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Warning: Wii Update 4.2 May Be Fatal!

BCVM22

I guess I'm lucky that my Wii didn't brick.

No, again, you aren't. You have to think about this in a broader sense and remember that for every one person whose Wii was bricked, there are ten or twenty or more who downloaded the update with nary a problem.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Mine worked out fine, but maybe that's because, as of recently, I've only been using the Internet Channel.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I can't remember if I updated or not. My Wii is fine though, so it's fine, or I didn't.

Thriller

Its almost time
No, again, you aren't. You have to think about this in a broader sense and remember that for every one person whose Wii was bricked, there are ten or twenty or more who downloaded the update with nary a problem.

Making. Him. Lucky...

Crumpet

Delete your System32
Hm. Mine hasn't been bricked.

THe reason for the brick:
Wii system menu 4.2U bricks virgin wii's as well as modded wii's for the same reason.
It includes a faulty line of code that edits the boot2, something no update had ever edited before, to boot2v4. It's a simple short poorly coded code that sometimes causes freezing upon installation. Boot2v4 is already on LU64+ (serial number) wii's. This is supposed to make them unhackable, and it disrupts bannerbomb, eliminating the largest method of installing the homebrew channel, and is supposed to shut down when the HAXX ticket (HBC id) is presented for installation. They've already defeated this by changing the HAXX ticket to another four letter word. This boot2(v4) is what boots up the system menu when you turn your wii on. Now when this really terrible code starts installing it sometimes freezes the update, forcing owners to shut off their systems. Now your wii has no line of code anywhere in it's firmware which leaves it incapable of starting up, and just gives you a black screen, thus rendering it bricked. Funny thing is, for how bad Nintendo just f*cked up attempting to stop hackers, it's already able to be HBC'd, and bannerbomb is back with v2. If you have BootMii installed (wii loader on boot2) installed, and the update freezes, you can still run your wii.
The Big N is now replacing bricked wii's for free if they had no illegal software.
Nintendo really owes it's fans an apology, they screwed up normal users more than hackers, and those who updated safely got no new features except a craptastic boot2v4.

EDIT: Op please.

My Wii hasn't been bricked... the closest thing I've seen to anything showing anything happened is when I beat file two of DKC3 yesterday (As in, beat Kaos the second time,) after the credits, playing it again, the water looked... darker and squarier, and some of the buildings vanished and were recolored to look like the rest of the water. Next time I played, it was normal again.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Text Wall

Will this mean they've stopped sending out the update/amended the code?

Also, out of curiosity, what counts as a modded wii? My common sense tells me an update couldn't recognise a third party replacement laser, but I'd like some reassurance.

Modded wii.
The only thing they can do is update your wii with consent (you have to click yes) and their updates can uninstall hombrew channel, bootmii, DVDx, and any illegally installed .wad's. They do not have a search and destroy bricker for modded wii's, just a deleter. You can always update your system menu through a thing called wad manager, and not have any of the negative consequences.
Your replacement laser is fine.

Oh yes, and I don't think nintendo has taken the update off of their servers.

Cobalt_Latios

If you have BootMii installed (wii loader on boot2) installed, and the update freezes, you can still run your wii.
In fact, if you've done NAND backups using BootMii, and you do the update (either automatically, or you just thought it wouldn't affect things), you can use BootMii to go back to the last useable settings.

It's also how people have managed to unbrick Wii's. I have this, so I know how it works (of course, not like it matters).

The Big N is now replacing bricked wii's for free if they had no illegal software.
Nintendo really owes it's fans an apology, they screwed up normal users more than hackers, and those who updated safely got no new features except a craptastic boot2v4.

Wow... Ninty went far to "kill" hackers, but the update did absolutely nothing for those that did it normally.

BTW, I'm not sure if I can say this... but this rather well known user in the Homebrew community (wananiko, I think is the name) is in the process of building a custom 4.2; one that will probably function better.

Again, if I'm not allowed to mention the above, I'll delete it. Simple as that.

<C_L>

His name is Waninkoko, and I believe you're right.
I think the only thing this update did to anyone besides change there boot2 is make the shop channel unacessable without updating and risking a brick.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Damnit. I read the thread title really fast and thought it had been announced that Fatal Frame IV was coming to NA or something.

Surfing_Pikachu

It includes a faulty line of code that edits the boot2, something no update had ever edited before, to boot2v4. It's a simple short poorly coded code that sometimes causes freezing upon installation. Boot2v4 is already on LU64+ (serial number) wii's. This is supposed to make them unhackable, and it disrupts bannerbomb, eliminating the largest method of installing the homebrew channel, and is supposed to shut down when the HAXX ticket (HBC id) is presented for installation. They've already defeated this by changing the HAXX ticket to another four letter word. This boot2(v4) is what boots up the system menu when you turn your wii on. Now when this really terrible code starts installing it sometimes freezes the update, forcing owners to shut off their systems. Now your wii has no line of code anywhere in it's firmware which leaves it incapable of starting up, and just gives you a black screen, thus rendering it bricked. Funny thing is, for how bad Nintendo just f*cked up attempting to stop hackers, it's already able to be HBC'd, and bannerbomb is back with v2. If you have BootMii installed (wii loader on boot2) installed, and the update freezes, you can still run your wii.

Whoa, that was awesome. Thanks for writing that, I'll copy that somewhere for future reference the next time somebody asks. But tell me, since the HAXX Ticket is the Homebrew Channel, can I simply just remove the channel to update? Or would I have to run a cleanup app to wipe out all traces?

You can use AnyTitleDeleter, but updating with or without the homebrew channel poses the same risks.

If you have homebrew and update all that happens is that it gets deleted.
It's strongly recomended no one updates, and when you do it should be through the HBC after they release the update as a wad file with a properly functioning code.

Upgrading to 4.2 is pretty much a bad idea with or without soft modifications.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
So, if I'm reading Mr. Mudkip's wall of text right, the only Wiis that are getting bricked are ones that are brand new, and ones that are clearly modded?

pichu_power

But Never Again...
My Wii hasn't been bricked... the closest thing I've seen to anything showing anything happened is when I beat file two of DKC3 yesterday (As in, beat Kaos the second time,) after the credits, playing it again, the water looked... darker and squarier, and some of the buildings vanished and were recolored to look like the rest of the water. Next time I played, it was normal again.

I actually did update my Wii...but so far I haven't had anything bad happen yet...

For the red part, I purchased DKC3 a while ago [very good game, btw] and it did the same thing for the KAOS stage/level select screen. The water turned dark blue and the kongs were very discolored. I quit and restarted and everything was fine. I see that we both have had the same glitch/problem. :D

So, if I'm reading Mr. Mudkip's wall of text right, the only Wiis that are getting bricked are ones that are brand new, and ones that are clearly modded?

No, all wii's can fall prey to this update's powers of brickage.
Except possibly newer wii's since they come packaged with boot2v4 already, not sure if that exempts them though.