• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was anybody else impressed by Sarah's M20 performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

One thing that I fret about watching I Choose You! dubbed was if Sarah Natocheny's portrayal of Ash would show any improvement over what she got on the TV series.

It always felt like she's come into her own over time but often seemed hampered by the voice direction and script adaptation the dub staff had to offer.

However, I think the 20th movie was her acting at its best and even with some off lines, most of the script was a cut above the rest. I can't fully explain why so much as it felt less like she was channeling Veronica's Ash and more like she was channeling, well, Ash.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I honestly feel she has improved so much over the years. She herself admitted how bad her dubbing was back in the day and realizing. I think her voice acting in the whole SM saga has been really good, most of the cringe comes from the script and the direction, not from her acting.

M20 has indeed been her best work, though. I hope she keeps it up in the next seasons/movies.

DatsRight

I honestly feel she has improved so much over the years. She herself admitted how bad her dubbing was back in the day and realizing. I think her voice acting in the whole SM saga has been really good, most of the cringe comes from the script and the direction, not from her acting.

M20 has indeed been her best work, though. I hope she keeps it up in the next seasons/movies.

Yeah I remember watching the SM pilot and thinking she sounded MUCH better and clicked with a lot of emotions and exclamations. Not as good as Matsumoto, but still effortful. The problem is, like the other actors, she's still stuck with clunkily translated script, half hearted direction and often unfitting music accompanying her. Everytime she or one of the other actors speaks in 'totally radical' dialect, I just cringe.

For the actors to do as impressive a job as the Japanese lot, the whole dub staff have to get their act together. You think Mel Blanc could save an awful Looney Tunes cartoon on his own? Or Patrick Stewart could save The Emoji Movie?

I don't think Natochenny deserves to be victim of cyber bullying at the very least. There's a difference between that and impersonal critique.

Last edited:

Alola Adventurer

Imo, outside of battle scenes and the reenactment of the Spearow attack scene from the first episode in the movie's prologue,
and while she still might not be as good as Veronica Taylor or Rica Matsumoto, I thought M20 was easily one of Sarah Natochenny's best performances as Ash.

She was consistent for the most part, and her acting was great again minus a few of the said moments listed above,
and she didn't sound monotone like she does sometimes in a few dub episodes.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.