• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was May supposed to meet Chloe in the contest episode?

bmw9413

As much as I loved Serena's guest episode I kind of felt she was out of place in the Hoenn contest episode and was there because the writers wouldn't physically use May.

I get Serena has been in Hoenn the whole time Ash was in Alola but why is she still there now? She should have been done a long time ago. Was she "frozen in progression" like Dawn was? The fact that Wallace was there, as well as May's ORAS outfit, Hoenn the origination of May and contests and that Serena knows May makes me think that May was originally going to be featured but the voice actor can't voice act anymore and they won't recast.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
No. Kaori hasn't voice acted in nearly a decade, so why would the writers think there was even a chance of her being available.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I do think if May was available they would have had a conclusion sort of to the whole contest arc in the anime, with Dawn introducing them and showing off an appeal, Serena performing one albeit a different kind of contest and then probably May would have been seen winning one or something, or maybe even a tournament with both Dawn and May

BlueDragonfangirl

Nope, though I do wish we could get an appearance from her, sadly her VA won’t be returning so.

If the girls of Pokémon get together for a hang out it will be so strange if she’s absent.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Nope.

People have expected serena to represent sylveon for chloe’s eeveelution tour since the start, especially since serena had the same slow burn dream finding story. This was definitely planned like this for a while.

Considering they seem to be trying to stick to the games, i doubt they had any intention of bringing back the old anime contest back anyways. So i doubt they felt the need to bring back may just to have contests, especially since they didn’t even bother going into it with dawn. On the other hand lisia who introduced contest spectaculars in ORAS and serena who did the closest thing to game contests in the anime made perfect sense. The dress is just to reference to the game like how lisia did the scouting. Though they did use it as a quick way to mention may, even if the dress really only had connections to the game version and not really the anime one.

yaris5

I suppose May could have had a different episode later on, although 3 coordinators inspiring Koharu would have been serious overkill.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Serena returning in that episode made sense considering the foreshadowing at the end of XY&Z. That being said, I would've enjoyed the episode a bit more if Haruka had appeared instead of Serena, but that wouldn't have been possible due to Kaori's illness, and they clearly have no plans to recast Haruka.

SatoSereFan224888

I don’t think she was ever going to be in the episode. In fact I don’t think Serena was supposed to be the episode either. Her addition seemed like a postproduction change. However the writers nor the director ever share stuff about what was supposed to be in episodes.

Applecorp

Didn't feel that way to me. Serena is basically the show's substitute for May anyways so I thought she fit perfectly into the role of inspiring Chloe.

SatoSereFan224888

Speed22

I don’t think she was ever going to be in the episode. In fact I don’t think Serena was supposed to be the episode either. Her addition seemed like a postproduction change. However the writers nor the director ever share stuff about what was supposed to be in episodes.

No. However it’s possible they added Serena last minute.
That's not how anime production works. Stop with the fanfics will you?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
No. However it’s possible they added Serena last minute.
Recoloring and ironing out rough edges happens at last minute.

What doesn’t happen at last minute is changing a portion of the script, adding in a character, doing the principle animation, doing in-between animation, and then calling a voice actress who may or may not have a scheduling conflict on a gamble for a last minute cameo. This isn’t like film acting.