• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was the Birth of Mewtwo really removed by 4kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

Because this is a something that's been going around yet other info points to how that part came after the dub. Hell, I have a video of the JPN version that doesn't include this.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I thought the first part of the first movie was that

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Yes, it was removed by 4kids. It is a part of the original movie in Japan.

matt0044

Yes, it was removed by 4kids. It is a part of the original movie in Japan.

Yet the Japanese VHS I have didn't include it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yet the Japanese VHS I have didn't include it.

Odd. Maybe it was theater-only until the Mewtwo Returns DVD came out? I know the Birth of Mewtwo CD Drama was distributed around that time, so perhaps that could be the reason why the ten minutes weren't on the video. Though I hear they did upgrade some of the animation when it was released on video or something like that. The doors opening weren't CGI when it was first released in theaters.

*insert Jeopardy music here*

Okay, looking it up on Bulbapedia, it suggests that in the VHS release, the ten minute origin wasn't included until it was released on DVD. And the whole CGI was done to the American release. Everything's still all hand-drawn in the original Japanese.

So yeah, you have a normal copy. I don't know why they did that, but hey.

DevilFruit

Good Kitty
I don't think the Birth of Mewtwo came with the Mewtwo first movie, but I definitely remember that it came with the second Mewtwo movie as a special short.

Thingamajig

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/myuutwo/myuutwo_strikes_back_kanzenban.html

That's a pretty good explanation of the different versions of the First Movie. The 4Kids dub of the first movie was based on this special edition, and the whole thing was dubbed. The "Birth of Mewtwo" stuff was removed from the US theatrical version at some point - whether it was always the intention to take it out of the movie or taken out after it was dubbed is unknown. Since Warner Bros. had a heavy hand in influencing the dub of the movie, it's not really known whether it was a decision by 4Kids or WB, although it was likely to increase the pace of the movie. (seeing as Ash takes about 15 minutes to appear in the movie if the "Birth of Mewtwo" stuff is left in)

Status
Not open for further replies.