• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was the English dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back movie really that awful to watch?

dwain2343

Ah yes, the old claim that I have seen many times over about Mewtwo strikes back. The claim states that most people said that the Mewtwo Strikes Back movie wasn’t as bad as people said was back then in 1999, it was the dub that made it awful back then. And ever since the dub of the first movie came out, people hate that 4kids changed Shudo’s vision of what the franchise supposed to be. The most notorious examples of why people hate the dub are the changes to Mew and Mewtwo’s characters and the ever so hypocritical “fighting is wrong” message. I think the dub of the first movie get too much hate. Now looking back at it, was the English dub of the movie really that horrible to watch, or were there still good things about it?

Last edited:

Trey pokes

At the time no. Now with the remake and its dub, going to have to go with the latter, cuz the old one has aged BADLY. Mainly the dialog, score, and well it was the 90's.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
The change in music was bad.
Brother My Brother is a great song, but it didnt fit for the scene it was used in.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Not really. Most of its soundtrack was amazing, but I don't like how they cut out the 10 minute prologue about Mewtwo or the fighting is wrong thing though lol.

dwain2343

The change in music was bad.
Brother My Brother is a great song, but it didnt fit for the scene it was used in.
I think what 4kids was trying to do with the pop soundtrack is to make it feel like the movie was a Nickelodeon/Disney-Hollywood styled product and not a tv special.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
I think what 4kids was trying to do with the pop soundtrack is to make it feel like the movie was a Nickelodeon/Disney-Hollywood styled product and not a tv special.
The only good thing that came out of it was in the scene when Pikachu ran away from the machines, the japanese version used some music that i cant take seriously and the dub actually fixed this one.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
The only good thing that came out of it was in the scene when Pikachu ran away from the machines, the japanese version used some music that i cant take seriously and the dub actually fixed this one.
That music placement alone justifies all skepticism of the claim that the original Japanese soundtrack of any Japanese property that got a soundtrack overhaul overseas is better. Even the remake knew what a mistake that track was.

As for the film in general, no, the 4kids dub is far from unwatchable. Yes it's incredibly different from the original (which was good, but not the Ghibli-tier masterpiece it honestly feels like it tried too hard to be), but it is still a neat experience. The thing I think was the biggest improvement over the original JP version is surprisingly not the soundtrack, nor the acting, nor even the writing; it's the fact that all those prerequisites (the audio dramas, the overly thorough character bios, etc.) to understand everything regarding Mewtwo are no longer necessary. Just watching the film is enough.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
That music placement alone justifies all skepticism of the claim that the original Japanese soundtrack of any Japanese property that got a soundtrack overhaul overseas is better. Even the remake knew what a mistake that track was.
Another music replacement that i liked was in movie 9 when Jack Walker told Ash why he decided to become a Pokemon Ranger.
the english dub used the instrumental version of the movie's ending song, Together We Make a Promise while the japanese version used a cappella version of Spurt!, not that the japanese version used a bad music for that scene, but i think that the instrumental version of Together We Make a Promise fits more for that scene.

dwain2343

I think the whole “fighting is wrong” message in the dub was willfully shoehorned in as a pathetic excuse to appease moral guardians who wanted to demonize the franchise!

dwain2343