• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was the jhoto saga the main reason why pokemon was going downhill and losing ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like their were a couple of times where i felt pokemon went downhill and would never rise back up but i continued to watch it regardless.The only reason why why i never gave up on it is because at least ash had his kanto starters with him.The jhoto gym matches were not as good as the other regions and his jhoto pokemon weren't really spectacular in any way

thunderblade12

Nope. It's because Pokemon was like four years old by that time. The fad was dying. Wasn't mid-Johto around the time Yu-Gi-Oh began airing and became "the next big thing?"

People follow the crowd just for the hell of it sometimes. "Pokemon's no longer ka-ewl? Yeah, I knew that. It's totally gay now with all of the Politoeds. They should have kept it 151 pokemon, these 100 new ones suck lulz!"

Last edited:
Yeah im pretty sure Yu-Gi-Oh was getting popular because of the actual story while pokemon just got worser during the Jhoto seasons.Jhoto is to blame for everything wrong with pokemon

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Yes, because many people/fans retired from the show at this point since this saga was full with fillers and in my opinion the pokemon were pretty un-developed too, with the same trio doing the same things. I personally always watch the show but there were people who returned to watch AG.

thunderblade12

To be fair, Pokemon was never really strong on story or plots. It's only now that they're beginning to add mini-arcs and subplots to broaden people's interests rather than having us sit through a single storyline (Ash's badge quest) for 200 episodes. AG kicked it up a notch by adding a secondary quest for the female character and DP kicked it up one more notch by adding Ash's rivalries and development for multiple pokemon on the team (Mamoswine, Grotle, Chimchar, etc.) And even now the story is nothing to brag about in Pokemon compared to other shows.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
You'd have to be a fool to blame Johto for the lost of interest in the show. Yes, Johto had it's faults, but so does every saga. Pokemon was considered nothing more than a fad back then, so of course people were naturally going to lose interest and move on to anything deemed as "cooler". At the time, there were a bunch of franchises being released with similar battling, monster, and collecting elements in them due to the popularity of pokemon. So with all the competition, pokemon was bound to lose some steam, so it's foolish to blame it all on Johto.

pokemon fan 132

I think more correct term in here would be how writers were responsible for pokemon TV show losing its ratings,and not Johto saga itself.

They didnt had enough experience under their belt not knowing how to handle long regions like Johto(being their first one),aswell having some wrong priorities which resulted in some unfavorable things they did during course of Johto series with GS ball being dropped,Misty and Brock not being focused enough,Ash Johto team which received fiasco,rivals being almost nonexistant,Team Rocket going nowhere, etc which caused people being dissapointed quitting with this show.

Funny thing in here is that Johto despite its flaws still had better ratings than some "glorified" future regions,and its not fair to blame one region as being responsible for state in which this show was at certain times.Other sagas had their share of mistakes and bad moves too which contributed to fall of popularity.

Nope. It's because Pokemon was like four years old by that time. The fad was dying. Wasn't mid-Johto around the time Yu-Gi-Oh began airing and became "the next big thing?"

Thats not the only reason why ratings started to decline.Several writers mistakes contributed to this aswell,with ratings having their ups an downs during course of this show.

Last edited:

dawn hater

Like their were a couple of times where i felt pokemon went downhill and would never rise back up but i continued to watch it regardless.The only reason why why i never gave up on it is because at least ash had his kanto starters with him.The jhoto gym matches were not as good as the other regions and his jhoto pokemon weren't really spectacular in any way

Do you have a proof that ratings dropped in Johto? Call it funny thing or coincidence but yesterday night I was looking for ratings of show and what I found out was that in Johto the rating actually increase. Why that happened? When the show started it had little competition but then Digimon came and its rating were higher. Pokemon had a big competition and it was shredding a lot of rating in short time but that didn't affected the writers cause Anime was just meant to promote games. But then Digimon went downhill(starting from third season it sucked) and Pokemon gained it rightful place back and here we had the true winner. As a matter of fact this happened around the time of Johto. So ratings actually increased during Johto due to Digimon's downfall. As for other anime like Yu-gi-oh, BeyBlade, Naruto, etc. they were never a big competition for a big franchise like Pokemon and Digimon who like playing it closer to the chest.

Trapman

Bazinga!!
People who had followed pokemon from the beginning grew up and got bored of pokemon and started playing beyblade.

Do you have a proof that ratings dropped in Johto? Call it funny thing or coincidence but yesterday night I was looking for ratings of show and what I found out was that in Johto the rating actually increase. Why that happened? When the show started it had little competition but then Digimon came and its rating were higher. Pokemon had a big competition and it was shredding a lot of rating in short time but that didn't affected the writers cause Anime was just meant to promote games. But then Digimon went downhill(starting from third season it sucked) and Pokemon gained it rightful place back and here we had the true winner. As a matter of fact this happened around the time of Johto. So ratings actually increased during Johto due to Digimon's downfall. As for other anime like Yu-gi-oh, BeyBlade, Naruto, etc. they were never a big competition for a big franchise like Pokemon and Digimon who like playing it closer to the chest.

Isn't obvious lol jhoto is to blame for everything wrong with pokemon.One thing i hate more than people who have no brains whatsoever is people who lie to prove their point.Seriously this "Call it funny thing or coincidence but yesterday night I was looking for ratings of show and what I found out was that in Johto the rating actually increase." isn't even remotely believable and god is watching you Liar,shame on you :( Hmm thats what you get with kids who dont grow up with a mother these days lol.Oh off topic if you really did search that up then that means you have no life no offense. Yu-gi-oh is just as popular as Pokemon and i didn't know they aired naruto during pokemon's Jhoto season lol.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
You'd have to be a fool to blame Johto for the lost of interest in the show. Yes, Johto had it's faults, but so does every saga. Pokemon was considered nothing more than a fad back then, so of course people were naturally going to lose interest and move on to anything deemed as "cooler". At the time, there were a bunch of franchises being released with similar battling, monster, and collecting elements in them due to the popularity of pokemon. So with all the competition, pokemon was bound to lose some steam, so it's foolish to blame it all on Johto.

IMO, this.

pokefandt

Oh yeah I remember watching Master Quest before watching Yu-Gi-Oh in my younger years... damn does time fly, I,m in college now.

Pokemon isn't exactly a masterpiece of plot and dialogue. Which is shame because the show has a lot of potential quandered.

RickHoenn

Banned
Isn't obvious lol jhoto is to blame for everything wrong with pokemon.One thing i hate more than people who have no brains whatsoever is people who lie to prove their point.Seriously this "Call it funny thing or coincidence but yesterday night I was looking for ratings of show and what I found out was that in Johto the rating actually increase." isn't even remotely believable and god is watching you Liar,shame on you :( Hmm thats what you get with kids who dont grow up with a mother these days lol.Oh off topic if you really did search that up then that means you have no life no offense. Yu-gi-oh is just as popular as Pokemon and i didn't know they aired naruto during pokemon's Jhoto season lol.

Why don't you give a proof and stop acting like a retarded. Oh and now there's less people than watch Pokemon in America than during Johto or Hoenn. --->

dawn hater

First of all its obvious that you messed with the wrong person. I think its obvious from my name that I am type of person who gets ****** off quite easily. Secondly mother ****er like you who make new accounts to just say something to don't hurt your image have much bigger problems than compared to people who don't grew up with their mothers. You just make stupid annoying ****ing threads with no proof but still talking like you know everything. You are saying that rating fell during Johto and you don't even know that Naruto started airing when Johto was at the end. Thats too much from a poofter that claims everything like it is true. But its not your problem. Its in your mother ****ing gene. I mean if *****es have some disease then it also passes to their puppies. BTW I live my mother and father. On a side note, I am a Scottish-Irish-Indian-Japanese descendant.
As for people who don't believe me, search for Pokemon TRP rating on some Japanese site and you will see that Pokemon rating got a big boost starting from EP149 which was in Johto. And that was because most of the fan(in Japan) didn't like Digimon Tamers and they moved to Pokemon.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The Pokemon fad died down and the fans grew up. I was in 5th grade when Pokemon was at it's peak and me and my friend's loved it, now I'm a college student and the only thing popular about Pokemon for teenagers are the video games, people play them all the time on my campus. Johto's not to blame, the fad just went out of style and like others have said, new stuff like Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, and stuff took over. Pokemon was never going to last forever even if we have gotten the Hoenn or Sinnoh arc after Kanto and the Orange Island the fad was going out. Pokemon is still pretty popular video game wise but everything else just went out of style, even the cards aren't as popular as before. That's how fads work.

First of all its obvious that you messed with the wrong person. I think its obvious from my name that I am type of person who gets ****** off quite easily. Secondly mother ****er like you who make new accounts to just say something to don't hurt your image have much bigger problems than compared to people who don't grew up with their mothers. You just make stupid annoying ****ing threads with no proof but still talking like you know everything. You are saying that rating fell during Johto and you don't even know that Naruto started airing when Johto was at the end. Thats too much from a poofter that claims everything like it is true. But its not your problem. Its in your mother ****ing gene. I mean if *****es have some disease then it also passes to their puppies. BTW I live my mother and father. On a side note, I am a Scottish-Irish-Indian-Japanese descendant.
As for people who don't believe me, search for Pokemon TRP rating on some Japanese site and you will see that Pokemon rating got a big boost starting from EP149 which was in Johto. And that was because most of the fan(in Japan) didn't like Digimon Tamers and they moved to Pokemon.

No im pretty sure im messing with an childish good for nothing idiot who likes to throw tantrums lol.Hmm didn't know being a dawn hater meant you have an anger issue and by the way its not obvious.Censoring profanity doesn't make it better and im pretty sure people know what you wrote so thats a fail.I only have one account thank you very much.Hmm im guessing your mother is dead,she must be having fun in hell lol.I am always right and never wrong so have some respect for someone who's better than you.You really need to be taught some manners asap because you are very immature.Sorry that i dont keep track of when exactly shows like naruto start lol more reason why you obviously have no life.Wait a minute...did i ask for your heritage? Jhoto went downhill the moment it began and the so called "big boost" was most likely the season getting more viewers but not that much so yeah Jhoto is one of the mistakes the creators made and it can't be undone.

Sayho1234

To be fair, Pokemon was never really strong on story or plots. It's only now that they're beginning to add mini-arcs and subplots to broaden people's interests

To be fair, you have to give credit to the Johto saga as it was the saga that had started the mini arcs first with the Whirl cup competition.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Take a look at the box office sales for the Johto movies in the U.S.

The fad was dead by mid-Johto, and the movie sales in the U.S. reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.