• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was The Oshawott Line Ruined By Samurott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
Like, i can understand the stigma against Samurott but GF could not have done anything else honestly. If you wanted a Samurott that looked more like Dewott and Oshawott, then it would just look like a bigger Dewott.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I personally never understood the stigma against Daikenki (Samurott). I think it looks tough, and I have a bigger problem with Enbuoh (Emboar) and Jalorda (Serperior).

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I don't think so, Emboar is the best of the three. Speaking of the other two starters of this region, I think they are fine too.
I've got no beef against Emboar personally but from what I've seen of the general reception towards the Unova Starters, Emboar seems to be the least liked of the 3.

I'm guessing people weren't too keen on a 3rd Fire/Fighting Starter?

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Pignite is much much much much more disliked than Emboar. I personally hate Pignite with passion while I think Tepig is cute. As for the Snivy Line, I don't think Serperior is a bad design, it's just that it really isn't my type of Pokemon. I don't hate Samurott, I think it has a cool design but it really doesn't find the growth of the Oshawott line.

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

Pignite is much much much much more disliked than Emboar. I personally hate Pignite with passion while I think Tepig is cute. As for the Snivy Line, I don't think Serperior is a bad design, it's just that it really isn't my type of Pokemon. I don't hate Samurott, I think it has a cool design but it really doesn't find the growth of the Oshawott line.
I like Pignite too, Pignite is good too. If you hate Pignite with a passion then I like Pignite with a passion then.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I like Pignite too, Pignite is good too. If you hate Pignite with a passion then I like Pignite with a passion then.
Well nobody really said it was bad to like Emboar, just that the general opinion amongst fans is pretty negative.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Samurott is not a bad design but it definely would have benefited debuting in the 3D era. It could have allowed for a more dynamic attacking animation using its swords like it does in the anime (and the 3DS Pokedex apps). Also the transition from its pre-evolved form (Dewott) is a bit jarring and a "bigger Dewott" may have meshed well better.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't hate Samurott, I think it has a cool design but it really doesn't find the growth of the Oshawott line.
That is pretty much my feelings about it. It's not bad as a design, it just doesn't fit as Oshawott's final form.
I think it lost out by not having a fighting or steel type. I prefer Dewott out of the three but I don’t believe the line is or was ruined by Samurott.
That's the thing I'm pissed with the most lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't hate Samurott, I think it has a cool design but it really doesn't find the growth of the Oshawott line.
That is pretty much my feelings about it. It's not bad as a design, it just doesn't fit as Oshawott's final form.
I think it lost out by not having a fighting or steel type. I prefer Dewott out of the three but I don’t believe the line is or was ruined by Samurott.
That's the thing I'm pissed with the most lol

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Samurott makes sense when you consider from a conceptual standpoint it's going from a training samurai to a shogun, the latter of which tends to lean more towards bulkier designs. Otters traditionally are very slim looking and they probably didn't think going just the larger Dewott route would've caught that same feel, so likely they incorporated the sea lion look to better fit the shogun direction. It's definitely a jump design-wise and it's not surprising many were taken aback upon seeing it, but I do understand them trying to think outside of the box with it.

Personally though, I like Samurott and I think it's a cool design. My only wish is that it got more animations to showcase it using its swords as only one animation exists in the mainline games and most spinoffs ignore it. Hopefully Legends will give it a chance to shine in that regard.

zolios

Maybe a little, I still like Samurott but I always thought that its design was a bit weird/awkward especially with its stance in Gen 5 games. I love Oshawott and Dewott and compared to them Samurott is a bit underwhelming to me personally. I do still love the entire Oshawott line a lot, however it is my least favorite starter line from Unova region.

Also I'm not sure how much value does my opinion hold here, especially when it comes to Pokemon designs, because I adore Pignite for example and think that it is one of the best designed middle stage starters but most other people seem to hate Pignite and think that it looks terrible.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I do think that Futachimaru (Dewott) and Daikenki (Samurott) could've been half Fighting-type to go with their samurai theme. I realize that Enbuoh (Emboar) was half Fighting-type, but I always thought it could've been Fire/Dark, instead.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I don't have problems with Samurott based on how it looks but I was expecting something a little different after my Oshawott evolved into Dewott. Also like others said Samurott could've used a 2nd type to make it more versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.