• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was The Oshawott Line Ruined By Samurott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Funny this thread exists because I watched a new video by Truegreen7 which revealed starter popularity based on a survey he conducted with his viewers, and it revealed the Oshawott line as the most popular Unova starter for each evolution stage. Samurott didn't get as many votes as Oshawott and Dewott did in their respective stages' polls, but still beat Serperior by a fair amount. I mostly prefer Oshawott and Dewott over Samurott, but I still think Samurott is really cool, especially when it uses the seamitars (the swords hidden in its legs). I also feel Legends: Arceus will help raise its popularity.

zolios

Funny this thread exists because I watched a new video by Truegreen7 which revealed starter popularity based on a survey he conducted with his viewers, and it revealed the Oshawott line as the most popular Unova starter for each evolution stage. Samurott didn't get as many votes as Oshawott and Dewott did in their respective stages' polls, but still beat Serperior by a fair amount. I mostly prefer Oshawott and Dewott over Samurott, but I still think Samurott is really cool, especially when it uses the seamitars (the swords hidden in its legs). I also feel Legends: Arceus will help raise its popularity.
I wouldn't take that video or those polls as an objective view of all Pokemon fans because only a small percentage of his fans (even smaller percentage of all Pokemon fans) voted and he often mentioned in his videos how much he likes Samurott and its design, and it's expected that he influnced at least a small number of his fans to also like Samurott, at least more than they would otherwise. Same thing with Gen 3 and Sceptile line. It's a fun video but it doesn't actually accurately represent the real opinions of the larger Pokemon fandom since only a few thousand of TrueGreen's fans participated in the voting. Some general overlapping can happen like with Charizard's popularity for example but even that isn't accurate when it comes to actual percentages and other details.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I wouldn't take that video or those polls as an objective view of all Pokemon fans because only a small percentage of his fans (even smaller percentage of all Pokemon fans) voted and he often mentioned in his videos how much he likes Samurott and its design, and it's expected that he influnced at least a small number of his fans to also like Samurott, at least more than they would otherwise. Same thing with Gen 3 and Sceptile line. It's a fun video but it doesn't actually accurately represent the real opinions of the larger Pokemon fandom since only a few thousand of TrueGreen's fans participated in the voting. Some general overlapping can happen like with Charizard's popularity for example but even that isn't accurate when it comes to actual percentages and other details.

Whatever. I do still believe Samurott's reception grew over time though, and it seems to often be competing with Serperior for the "favourite" of the Unova starters. Emboar is clearly the one that everyone despises, but there are some who do tolerate it.

TwilightBlade

Definitely not. I really like Samurott and it had a much better moveset than Serperior in my opinion. Also it just looks so much cooler. I never had an image in mind of what Oshawott would evolve into and I didn't care anyways which might explain why I'm cool with what we got. :]

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Honestly, I like Samurott... But... I'm always on the fence about its design.

I wouldn't say the Oshawott-line was ruined by it, but it could've ended up stronger in my opinion. I think people really liked the agile swordsman-ship they envisioned with Oshawott and Dewott and then Samurott, while having badass Seamitars ends up really clunky while using them having to lean on one leg to use one.

Why have two Seamitars if you can only use one at a time?

It's these things that keep me from liking Samurott a whole lot more. Also the stats are horribly unspecific. You've got a swordfighter with a higher SpA.

I've got no beef against Emboar personally but from what I've seen of the general reception towards the Unova Starters, Emboar seems to be the least liked of the 3.

I'm guessing people weren't too keen on a 3rd Fire/Fighting Starter?

Totally agreed on that last line.

People really disliked the fact we got a 3rd Fire/Fighting-type, three times in a row.

Pignite was the least liked of the line. Emboar is actually amazing ingame when you look at its stats+movepool.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
Well he did have a Samurott in a nuzlocke and does say that he digs the design, maybe his liking for Samurott got it a lot of votes?

Luthor

Ruined I would say no. It was jarring at first but I have grown to like it even to the degree that I am considering using Oshawott in Legends Arceus. It is quite a dramatic shift from Dewott and I think going from bipedal to quadrupedal and the shell on the head put some people off. Also staying pure water was OK but not the most exciting for a lot of people. It's definitely a starter I'd like to see get a mega or alternative form or something like that but that's just because I think there's some more potential there.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think Samurott got off easy compared to Emboar who's a really fat wrestler bipedal boar.
And you know, being the THIRD Fire/Fighting type starter in a row.

Personally, I like the entire Oshawott line. It's become my favorite Water starter and is part of my Holy Trinity (Chespin, Scorbunny, Oshawott), though I have to admit I personally like Dewott the best. Samurott looks great, but Dewott just feels better because it has the perfect balance between Samurott's coolness and Oshawott's cuteness, while having a bit of sass & attitude in its expressions. Plus, I think this is more-so in their faces, but the sudden shift between Dewott & Samurott's design did feel kind of jarring at first.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Honestly, I like Samurott... But... I'm always on the fence about its design.

I wouldn't say the Oshawott-line was ruined by it, but it could've ended up stronger in my opinion. I think people really liked the agile swordsman-ship they envisioned with Oshawott and Dewott and then Samurott, while having badass Seamitars ends up really clunky while using them having to lean on one leg to use one.

Why have two Seamitars if you can only use one at a time?
The anime showed Samurott are fully capable of dual-wielding if they stand on two legs and jump. Also, they're sea lions, so the implication is they mainly fight in water, where walking wouldn't be an issue. No different than Primarina.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Personally it’s easily my least favorite of the Unova starters but I’ve grown to somewhat like it over time. The design is really awkward and should’ve stayed bipedal but the 3D model helped it. From what I’ve seen online, Samurott was designed first them its preevolutions were designed. I wouldn’t say ruined but it feels a bit off compared to Serperior and Emboar who I like a lot.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The anime showed Samurott are fully capable of dual-wielding if they stand on two legs and jump. Also, they're sea lions, so the implication is they mainly fight in water, where walking wouldn't be an issue. No different than Primarina.

I've rewatched the scene with Cameron's Samurott vs. Marlon's Mantine. Apparently you're right. But, I don't think 'fully capable' is really the right term here if they're only able to do it when they need to jump. That's still not agile (which was my main gripe compared to how Dewott was conceived) in my eyes and it still looked clunky. Just imagine something getting behind Samurott and how clunky it would look to see what's obviously designed as a quadruped turn around on two feet.

Primarina is mainly a special-attacker and has singing as her main schtick. It\s not as relevant in that case, also Popplio and Brionne have similar body-styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.