1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Was the rest of Alain's Pokèmon except Charizard given to him by Team Flare?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by 345ash-greninja, Aug 5, 2018.

1. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja I'm a Diginerd now!!!

Hi guys, this is something which just intruiges me a bit. Alain was a character we knew long ago before XY&Z started, in the Mega Evolution Acts he was already a developed and well established character. But one thing we all know is that he never used any other Pokémon other than his Charizard in the entirety of the Mega Evolution specials, a.k.a. we didn't even have a clue that he had any other Pokémon other than Charizard prior to XY(Z) starting. In XY(Z), the first time we got to see one of his other Pokèmon was in XY&Z23, when he send out his Metang. And suddenly in the Kalos League finals, he all-of-a-sudden pulled out an entire full team out of nowhere, which just sort of looked a bit ridiculous. Furthermore, what looked a bit more ridiculous was that during the Team Flare arc, when the world was in danger, we never saw Alain bringing out any of his Pokemon, as he only used his Charizard there.

So could it be a possibility that the rest of Ash team bar Charizard were given to him by Team Flare for the League (since Alain, as we all know, had involvements with Team Flare and Lysandre)? Now since we know that Alain already had a Metang he used in XY&Z23(which would later evolve into a Metagross), at a time when he wasn't even planning to enter the League, I'd say that Metang-->Metagross was obviously his own Pokèmon. But is it a possibility that Tyranitar, Weavile, Bisharp and Unfezant were given to him by Team Flare for entering the League? To compete in a League, one would obviously require a full team to enter the League, and if Alain didn't have a full team of his own, there arises a possibility that he was given some Pokemon by Team Flare to have have a full team for the League. And lastly, Weavile and Bisharp sound very much like Team Flare Pokemon, we multiple times have seen Team Flare grunts/admins with those 2 species of Pokémon.

So what do you guys think on this matter?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    LilligantLewis and keepitsimple like this.
  2. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

Nah, I don't think that he was given those Pokemon. I believe while he was travelling, he just happened to find and catch these Pokemon on his journey through kalos while seeking out Mega Evolution trainers. There doesn't seem to be any indication from any of Team Flare's actions or dialogue that Alain was actually given Tyranitar, Weavile, Bisharp, or Unfezant.

3. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Fiery Princess of Mars

I pretty much think the same.

4. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

No, these pokemon were just given conveniently to him to join the league by the writers.

satopi likes this.
  5. 345ash-greninja

I wouldn't really say there wasn't any indication. Then how do you explain Alain not using any of his other Pokémon than Charizard during the battle with Lysandre/Team Flare climax when they could've been very useful? It could be because he obtained them from Team Flare itself.

Plus, Weavile and Bisharp sound very much like Team Flare Pokémon. We've multiple times seen Team Flare grunts/admins with Weavile/Bisharp.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  6. Genaller

Genaller Just don’t care about SM anymore

Alain is implied to have been on a journey for a long time and based on the advice he gave Marin he seems to be very proficient at catching Pokémon, so it’s reasonable to assume he just caught those Pokémon along the way. With regards to why he didn’t use them during the TF climax; well if you notice only Ash, Clemont and Serena get to use all of their Pokémon while everyone else only used their Aces. Asking why Alain didn’t use the rest of his Pokémon is the same asking why Steven didn’t use his Aggron or any of his other Champion Caliber Pokémon or why Diantha and Malva didn’t use any of their non-Aces eventhough both should have had 5 other extremely powerful Pokémon given their ranks

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  7. blizzardblaze

Well, for all we know Alain's Pokemon could have sustained serious damage in the battle against Ash in the Kalos League with no chance of recovery, and perhaps Alain knew that even though having multiple Pokemon would come in handy, his Pokemon could probably get knocked out by Lysandre's Pokemon rather easily, even though he had a Bisharp with the move Guillotine. And if you have 12 Pokemon, with some being very large on a small space on top of a tower, how are they supposed to fit? Have you forgotten that on Route 17, Sneasal can be found since it's in an area where it snows quite often, and that is likely a Sneasal's natural habitat? Alain could have gone there, and Bisharp...well..he could have caught it as a Pawniard in the wild.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Well, they were in a tower. Not very spacious.

9. 345ash-greninja

Well regarding the injury part it's not really a valid point, because Ash's Pokemon all battled in the KL finals and they were all knocked out in that battle, and still they were able to battle against Lysandre. Then why couldn't Alain's Pokemon battle?

Regarding the space point, fair enough, but still there was enough space for one or two of his other Pokemon at least. He could have brought out the stronger ones among his other Pokémon, which could have been useful, like say his Bisharp proved to be such a badass in the KL finals, why not send it out against Lysandre.

What you said regarding regarding Weavile and Bisharp, it is plausible for Alain could've caught them that way, but it should also be noted than Weavile and Bisharp are two species of Pokemon we saw with Team Flare multiple times, so a possibility at least remains here.

Using their aces 99% of the times is a theory the anime mostly follows with E4 members and Champions, so that wasn't that much surprising. But it definitely looked ridiculous that, among a full team used by Alain in the KL finals 1-2 episodes ago, none of them except Charizard actually got used against Lysandre/Team Flare climax when the whole world was in danger.

blizzardblaze likes this.
  10. Genaller

Genaller Just don’t care about SM anymore

Aha and gym leaders? What about Sawyer, Tierno and Trevor (when they were helping people evacuate)? Literally everyone not named Ash, Serena or Clemont were only using their aces. If you want me to seriously consider why Alain didn’t use his other Pokémon, then you’re going to have to give me an example of at least 1 non-main character who actually used at least 1 of their non-aces.

11. blizzardblaze

Sure, he could have sent out someone like Weavile, but the thing is, Weavile probably couldn't put a dent in Mega Gyarados or Lysandre's Pyroar at all since they both know Fire moves, and Gyarados knows Stone Edge. Unfezant had the aerial advantage, but Pyroar could easily just knock it out of the air with a fire move if aimed correctly, and then Gyarados would use Stone Edge or Dragon Tail to knock it into one of their opponents. tyranitar...it's own size and weight would work against it on a tower like that where it could be knocked off, and it isn't exactly the fastest Pokemon out there. Bisharp does have Thunder wave and Focus Blast, the latter being super effective move, but then again Focus Blast can be blocked and T Wave is able to be dodged. Guillotine is risky considering they are on top of a tower, and both of the Pokemon Lysandre sent out are able to use attacks of far range like Incinerate or Flamethrower. Plus, Bisharp's blades(especially the one on it's head) are kind of tough to get out of the ground.

12. 345ash-greninja

Sawyer, Tierno and Trevor didn't have that much of a involvement in the Team Flare arc, they were...just helping people evacuate, that's it. The didn't have to face an epic strong foe like Ash and Alain did, like against Lysandre, against the Megalith. There involvement was much less compared to Alain in the Team Flare arc, so it's understandable in their case, not to mention Diantha was helping them too in that matter, which made it more easier for them.

I'd agree that the Gym Leader point is fair though. That fight was all about everyone using their ace Pokemon, literally every character was using their aces in that fight.

Still the Lysander fight sort of bugs me TBH. In that fight everyone was giving it their all, Lysander used his Pyroar and Mega Gyarados, Ash uses his whole team there, and Alain....only uses his Charizard. After how he suffered a breakdown and learnt the truth about how Lysandre tricked him, I'd expect him to go totally all-out against Lysandre and given everything he got against him.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  13. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

So now Alain's team bar Charizard and Metagross were given to him from Team Flare? Really?

Ash lost fair and square. Let the Kalos league go.

satopi and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  14. Ignition

Ignition Meltan is the only good aspect of LGPE

Is anyone trying to use this in conjunction for the "Alain cheated" theory? It's not like they're saying "Since Alain came with these Pokémon out of nowhere, he obviously cheated by using Flare's Pokémon!'' I think you're misunderstanding and overreacting to this question

15. 345ash-greninja

Well, going by that logic, some of Ash's Pokémon also had disadvantages in that battle too, like say Talonflame would be dead weight against Mega Gyarados's Stone Edge, Noivern and Goodra would be weak against Mega Gyarados's Dragon Tail, Noivern would be weak to Stone Edge.

I'd still like to think that Bisharp could have been useful in that scenario, it's small-sized fast fast and nimble which would help it battle in a confined space in the tower, Focus Blast is super-effective on both Pyroar and Mega Gyarados. And given how Guillotine cut through Goodra's Dragon Pulse like butter, I won't be surprised if it could cut through Flamethrower or Incinerate.

blizzardblaze likes this.
  16. 345ash-greninja

True, it's amazing how people misunderstand a topic and say stuff like this. Did I ever say that using Team Flare's Pokémon was unfair and cheating? Nope, I never did. Even if Alain's Pokémon were from Team Flare, it's still a legitimate win for him still those Pokemon battled legitimately and didn't use any healing items to win. Prior to the Flare climax, Team Flare didn't commit any criminal acts or like that, so it's not like that Team Flare was a labelled crime syndicate from whom loaning Pokémon for a League would be illegal. LOL.

blizzardblaze and Ignition like this.
  17. Red and Blue

Not really. The question once again seems to insist once again that Alain didn't win with his own power. Saying Team Flare gave him Pokemon isn't much different than saying they somehow caused Charizard X to become overpowered.

Ash-Pikachu likes this.
  18. blizzardblaze

All the same, a small and confined space can also restrict a Pokemon's movement, and give it less room to work with. I can't argue with your point about Ash's Pokemon having trouble as well:) Still, they all have different natural abilities to work with.

345ash-greninja likes this.
  19. Red and Blue

You know who else owned Weavile and Bisharp? A bunch of shinobi trainers from the ninja two parter.

I don't think it means anything. The writers probably just thought it would be easier reusing certain Pokemon

20. Ignition

Ignition Meltan is the only good aspect of LGPE

Literally the only aspect this thread is meant to discuss the origins of Alain's Pokémon, not if that invalidates his win. Alain's character is all for working hard on his own merit. Why would he take these pretrained Pokémon if everything he aspires to be, both on and off the battlefield, is about working himself to his hardest? Alain could have been given those Pokémon at their lowest evolutionary stage and raised them to their current power. I've yet to see anyone here insist he is cheating based on this hypothetical