• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was this a bad Team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
maxresdefault.jpg

It seems out of all the Teams Ash has had over the years this one gets the most criticism in general.

I've seen complaints about how Ash had way too many Pokémon.

And how there was wasted potential in some of the Pokemon (Snivy, Scraggy, Oshawott, etc...)

Was is really that bad?
If you think so then tell me why. And how would you have fixed it?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
No simply coz ash's johto team was worse. They literally had phanphy and cyndaquil evolved in other series so I'm not inclined to include them when talking about ash's johto team, but well even if you do, Ash's unova team had good mons like krookodile, pignite, leavanny. While oshawott and Scraggy had tons of personalities.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
No simply coz ash's johto team was worse. They literally had phanphy and cyndaquil evolved in other series so I'm not inclined to include them when talking about ash's johto team, but well even if you do, Ash's unova team had good mons like krookodile, pignite, leavanny. While oshawott and Scraggy had tons of personalities.
Come to think of it. I literally cannot for the life of me remember who was on Ash's Johto Team besides the Starters

Didn't Ash have his Kanto and Johto captures combined into one Team at some point?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Maybe worst in terms of personalities among his Pokemon overall since I didn't really like any of them at the time [other than Chaoboo's personality traits to a small extent]. In terms of overall power however, Satoshi's late Kanto team was arguably the worst one since Fushigidane, Zenigame, and Pigeon were typically below average battlers that relied on plot contrivances to win, and while Lizardon was strong, he didn't listen to Satoshi's commands.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I mean yeah Snivy, Oshawott and Scraggy sucked but I didn't hate Ash's Unova team as much as others do. I thought his Johto team was wayyyy worse.

The Jouto team was arguably worse than the Isshu team, especially in the case of Waninoko and Hinoarashi since they didn't develop as much as they could've. They were basically the Mijumaru and Tsutarja of their respective region.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Underwhelming not really bad, they were misused should have evolved few more pokemon. I thought johto team was even worse than this.

Luthor

I don't think it was bad. But I think they should have given more personality to certain Pokemon (Mostly Unfezant, Palpitoad, Boldore and Leavanny) and more growth such as evolution or moves (Snivy & Oshawott). I do think rotating was a cool idea that could work but the way they did it wasn't the best.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
I don't think it was bad. But I think they should have given more personality to certain Pokemon (Mostly Unfezant, Palpitoad, Boldore and Leavanny) and more growth such as evolution or moves (Snivy & Oshawott). I do think rotating was a cool idea that could work but the way they did it wasn't the best.

To be fair, Gantle probably had the most personality out of the reserves since he'd sometimes crush Satoshi to show his affection. But one thing that hindered the other reserves from showing their personalities the most was their limited screen-time.

WaterTypeStarter

Honestly, I find them to have lot of personality. I like Oshawott, find him to come across like a pet with some more human-like characteristics. Snivy was kind of a type who was serious and stood no nonsense you could say. And Scraggy was a hot headed and rough type. The appeal of Best Wishes in my opinion comes not from the battles, characters' goals, deed rivalry, or even some clever lore, but from the characters (both people and Pokemon) interacting with each other. With all the antics and other things. As well as seeing the region (honestly many of the episodes lot of people consider filler are probably some of the most fun).

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Johto was worse, the Kanto starters stuck around forever and didn't leave much time for the Johto Pokemon to develop(And probably screwed Ash over from catching more than he did back then)
Given how Donphan and Quilava returned and evolved quite quickly I think they actually intended to do so back then but couldn't due to improper handling and time management, but you can't really blame them the series was still new and they seemed to learn their lesson by having Ash put everything par Pikachu into the lab so the new captures have time to grow and not get overshadowed by all the old favorites like Bulbasaur, Charizard, Hawlucha, etc.

This is a reason I find the "Ash needs to use reserves right here and now!" complaints at the beginning of the series annoying, the new Pokemon need time to develop and get in some battles before the old guns return. They should most definitely use reserves in this saga, but there's no need for it right now, let Ash progress further in ranking and then the reserves can show up to lend a hand while the new guns can actually fight alongside them and hold their own

The Best Wishes team is mostly fine, Snivy just needed her moveset changed and a few evolutions thrown that team's way. Looking at Boldore and Oshawott in particular

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ash's Johto team is worse. If we're keeping it based on their accomplishments in their regions (since non of the BW Pokemon had a chance to do anything post Unova), I'd say Krookodile and Pignite did more than his entire Johto team combined. I can't remember anything noteworthy from any of them besides Heracross and maybe Bayleef

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ignition said:
Ash's Johto team is worse. If we're keeping it based on their accomplishments in their regions (since non of the BW Pokemon had a chance to do anything post Unova), I'd say Krookodile and Pignite did more than his entire Johto team combined. I can't remember anything noteworthy from any of them besides Heracross and maybe Bayleef

Hinoarashi managed to have a few interesting moments like the episode where he learned to control his flames and beat Airmd, and of course his Gym wins against Tsukushi's Strike, Matsuba's Ghos, Akane's Nidorina and Pippi, Mikan's Haganeil, and Yanagi's Jugon.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Firstly, I wouldn't really include Charizard in the team, since it returned post league to do.. nothing.

Based on the rest though? I mean, excluding Pikachu, there were three Pokemon in each stage, so it was well balanced, if nothing else. It's just a shame that their characters were handled rather badly, especially in the case of Palpitoad which is a shame, since had they followed through with the Kingler parallel, then it could've evolved in the league and given Ash a powerful water type for the saga, but I guess they just wanted to save a fully evolved three stage Water type Pokemon for the next gen?

Last edited: