• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Was Wally supposed to be the third Hoenn Dex Holder.

Red and Blue

Does anyone else feel that Kusaka originally intended for Wally to be the third Dex Holder and get both the Pokedex and Treecko?

His team matches his trademark color green which would have included Treecko. Plus Emerald is a type of Green as well. Not only that but Rayquaza was green as well.

It can't possibly be a coincidence

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
That was probably the case.

When Norman was training Wally at the Sky Tower, he told the Old Man from Pacifidlog to call Scott. The original intention must have been for Norman to recommend Wally as the Battle Frontier original challenger.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Yes. There was a scene in the magazines where the Pokedex registered him, but was changed to it not in the volumes.

Red and Blue

Yes. There was a scene in the magazines where the Pokedex registered him, but was changed to it not in the volumes.

So it was true. I wonder why Kusaka changed his mind and didn't go through with Wally being the third Dex Holder

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
So it was true. I wonder why Kusaka changed his mind and didn't go through with Wally being the third Dex Holder

To introduce the most annoying dex holder, of course.

Perhaps they didn't want to give the wrong impression by having Wally, a character who only shows up about 3 or 4 times in R/S be the main character for the Emerald arc. I honestly think it would've been for the better though since Wally came across as a much more compelling character than Emerald.

Red and Blue

To introduce the most annoying dex holder, of course.

Perhaps they didn't want to give the wrong impression by having Wally, a character who only shows up about 3 or 4 times in R/S be the main character for the Emerald arc. I honestly think it would've been for the better though since Wally came across as a much more compelling character than Emerald.

I agree. I don't hate Rald, but Wally being the third dex holder was far more fitting. Plus if he was chosen, I'm positive he would have used Gallade's mega form instead of losing it to Sapphire.

lolipiece

Staff member
There are many possible reasons but I wonder if Kusaka has ever given an actual answer.

Maybe he felt that Wally's character arc was done.

Maybe he felt that Wally wouldn't really have much of an interest in the Frontier. I could see it.

Given that Emerald wanted to do the Frontier at the same time as his mission, I wouldn't put it past that Wally would only want to focus on the mission.

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream
I think that Kusaka started plotting out the Emerald saga with Wally in mind as the protagonist only to find that it wouldn't exactly work.

Some time between the drawing of the magazine chapter with Wally registering in the Pokedex and the start of the drawing of the Emerald saga, Kusaka could have found himself with two options: throw away a good plot and start from scratch to make the Frontier, Wally, Guile Hideout, and Jirachi work together or simply come up with a new character that would fit the plot better.

And as much as I like Wally as a character, I have to agree that we got the best outcome in the end. Emerald got wonderful development with a solid backstory that wouldn't have been possible with Wally (because we already got it in the RS saga).

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
I think that Kusaka started plotting out the Emerald saga with Wally in mind as the protagonist only to find that it wouldn't exactly work.

Some time between the drawing of the magazine chapter with Wally registering in the Pokedex and the start of the drawing of the Emerald saga, Kusaka could have found himself with two options: throw away a good plot and start from scratch to make the Frontier, Wally, Guile Hideout, and Jirachi work together or simply come up with a new character that would fit the plot better.

And as much as I like Wally as a character, I have to agree that we got the best outcome in the end. Emerald got wonderful development with a solid backstory that wouldn't have been possible with Wally (because we already got it in the RS saga).

I had the same thought with Wally being the main hero for the Emerald chapter, but Kusaka felt that a new character would have made a better impact in the story instead of someone who has overstayed his welcome. He may have seen how successful the Yellow chapter was and the popularity of the Yellow character that he wanted to replicate the same success with Emerald. I appreciate the development and the much needed warmth the Emerald character deserves, but it might feel different if Wally was the hero. Anyways, the Emerald is best the way it is and I have no bad marks against it.

BlackButterfree

I believe so, otherwise why not keep him as a Pokédex holder like he was in the original magazine version?

He may have seen how successful the Yellow chapter was and the popularity of the Yellow character that he wanted to replicate the same success with Emerald.

If the next game is a single Kalos game and not a pair, I could see them doing the same thing again. The only other character from Kalos that could possibly be a Pokédex holder (going by the previous ones' game counterparts) is Shauna since she gets a starter in the games, but since she doesn't share the name of a game (obviously), they might just make a brand-new trainer to get Fennekin and its Pokédex.

IdiotHeroMaleDexHolder

RedGoldRubyDiaBlackX
Everything I could have said was said before. But yeah, I think Wally was the original prota of the Emerald Arc, but seeing he wouldn't fit tin the plot as much as Emerald (plus we would have never gotten dat epic moment when Rald pees on Ruby lol :'D) (Wally is too respectful) But I think Kusaka will introduce the Battle Resort (I like to think that the Battle Resort and the Frontier are rivals in the manga) with Wally challenging it.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Wally's name isn't Emerald, so...

Unless Wally was planned to be an alias, or he wasn't the REAL Wally(Both of those would be as questionable as the Aqua and Magma Admin retcon of late), or Wally's last name was to be Emerald(which would be a ridiculous reason to make him Emerald)...

It wasn't planned. Like, at ALL.

I don't get what is so appealing about Wally, anyway...he's just a sick kid with a Iron Man suit...that likes green...what else is there?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I believe Wally's hair was made to be green to match Ralts and its evolutions. You have to remember that he wasn't that strong when he caught Ralts and progressively got stronger. Having a starter seems like it would be out of place for his character development since the starters all learn pretty good moves to match their types early in the game.

Red and Blue

Wally's name isn't Emerald, so...

Unless Wally was planned to be an alias, or he wasn't the REAL Wally(Both of those would be as questionable as the Aqua and Magma Admin retcon of late), or Wally's last name was to be Emerald(which would be a ridiculous reason to make him Emerald)...

It wasn't planned. Like, at ALL.
Well, apparently it was according to lolipiece

I don't get what is so appealing about Wally, anyway...he's just a sick kid with a Iron Man suit...that likes green...what else is there?

I thought that he was a more endearing trainer than Rald due to the fact that he didn't let his illness stop him from being a trainer. I thought that would have been a good character arc for the Emerald saga

lolipiece

Staff member
Well, apparently it was according to lolipiece

Not necessarily. I said he was meant to be the third Dex holder, but it probably wasn't planned from the beginning, either.

There was a huge gap between his first appearance and his Sky Pillar appearance. I guess he decided to make Wally the third Dex holder, but only decided to scrap it after it was too late? Who knows?

I thought that he was a more endearing trainer than Rald due to the fact that he didn't let his illness stop him from being a trainer. I thought that would have been a good character arc for the Emerald saga

That's not really fair. Both have similar backstories with their illnesses. While the severity of Wally's is higher, it doesn't mean Emerald didn't have it bad.

At least Wally had loving not-dead parents and people around him who didn't mock him for his height issues.

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
Everything I could have said was said before. But yeah, I think Wally was the original prota of the Emerald Arc, but seeing he wouldn't fit tin the plot as much as Emerald (plus we would have never gotten dat epic moment when Rald pees on Ruby lol :'D) (Wally is too respectful) But I think Kusaka will introduce the Battle Resort (I like to think that the Battle Resort and the Frontier are rivals in the manga) with Wally challenging it.

That could be a possibility, since we've saw Wally only as a cameo in one of the earlier ORAS rounds. It might be possible that Wally might be seen competing at the Battle Resort before the horrid end-of-the-world news started to spread. Hopefully, Kusaka can explain why Wally was absent as of the ORAS chapter as this was the case after you've completed the Delta Episode. The idea of a Battle Resort vs. Battle Frontier subplot would be an interesting component to the chapter.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm glad Emerald was a dex holder instead since I didn't think Wally was interesting enough to be one. Emerald's team interests me compared to Wally's for example, so I'm pleased with how things turned out. :3

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
There are many possible reasons but I wonder if Kusaka has ever given an actual answer.

Maybe he felt that Wally's character arc was done.

Maybe he felt that Wally wouldn't really have much of an interest in the Frontier. I could see it.

Given that Emerald wanted to do the Frontier at the same time as his mission, I wouldn't put it past that Wally would only want to focus on the mission.
According to TV Tropes, it was because Kusaka decided it wouldn't be in-character for Wally to go to the Frontier.

Last edited: