• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

wat was most popular pokemon for competitive??

reekjoa

G4Gnious
yeah... i heard it was starmie,jolteon, dragpnite,chansey ....

but most popular was tauros...
is it true???

~*Lyra

Pokémaniac
;150;

But wherever that was banned, Starmie, Jolteon and nearly all of the PKMN towards the end of the 'Dex were strong contenders.

LuNa^^

La Reine de la Nuit
I always use Hitmonchan, but the Special is bad and Ice, Thunder, Fire Punch is all special... So I use Charizard or Snorlax ^ ^

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Exeggutor, Rhydon, Snorlax, Starmie, Chansey, Tauros

This team was pretty much the be all and end all of the RBY metagame. You'd sometimes find a Lapras, Jynx or Slowbro thrown in for a bit of a chance, but this was mainly it. Dragonite was never a proper contender, not with it's massive ice weakness and RBY's most prominent strategy being bolt-beamers.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I don't think that Tauros is the answer.

Snorlax, Starmie and Jynx are the most appropriate for competitive things.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I don't think that Tauros is the answer.

Snorlax, Starmie and Jynx are the most appropriate for competitive things.

Tauros IS the answer. The pokemon I listed owned RBY metagame. If you could use them properly (with their standard sets) then you were set.

Habibi

I would think Charizard would. Every body seems to have one in their teams.

Traveller

My team was

Charizard
Blastoise
Gengar
Zapdos
Mewtwo
Snorlax

Not saying I was uber competitive, but I never lost to people I knew from school.

pizzahead

people who think charizard: ingame =/= competitive

anyways, tauros by far. it is included in every single team ever. im not sure if jynx isnt first tier because GGFan uses it in his tournament team, which is the most successful in rby tournament history.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Meh?

I'd have though Alakazam would have been popular.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Blastoise, Charizard, Gengar, Alakazam, Arcanine, Jolteon, Snorlax, All 3 birds, Mew, and Mewtwo were all found on a lot of teams back in my school yard RBY competitive days. Oh where does the time go...Oh yeah, into video games!

Golden Fire

MasterOfTheNothing
The psychis ones like Alakazam dominated the game, Mewtwo was even the boss of the pokemon stadium game.

But back in the day almost every pokemon you used could be a worthy opponent.

Sprintking

Exeggutor, Rhydon, Snorlax, Starmie, Chansey, Tauros

This team was pretty much the be all and end all of the RBY metagame. You'd sometimes find a Lapras, Jynx or Slowbro thrown in for a bit of a chance, but this was mainly it. Dragonite was never a proper contender, not with it's massive ice weakness and RBY's most prominent strategy being bolt-beamers.

Definitely this one. I remember seeing quite a bit of jolteon and jynx as well, but it seemed like at least 4 or 5 of these were on every serious competitive team.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I never had "serious" competetive battles, but I did battle. I just used my favorites and won most of the time.

I remember a lot of people having Alakazam, Mewtwo, Chansey, and Charizard, oddly. Dunno. People usually picked their favorites or strong looking Pokes (at least in my school).

Ludicepop!

I live in hoenn.
Ubers have always been common when ever i battle some one. So I guess mewtwo.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Razor Leaf really had it.

Competitively popular and generally popular are two COMPLETELY different things, as is being evidenced by people's grade school memories. Not to devalue any of that, I have them too.

Dragonite and Charizard are actually good Pokemon, Dragonite's being a mixed attacker with Thunder Wave and Charizard having a nice Fire Blast/Earthquake/Body Slam-Slash core. Dragonite just had the x4 ice weakness, and Charizard water and rock weakness (Which you will see below are huge deals).

Smogon OU lists:

Alakazam- Thunder Wave lead and special staller.

Snorlax- Tank.

Tauros- Late game sweeper with a 24% critical hit rate.

Eggexegutor- Sleeper special powerhouse than can explode.

Starmie- Special powerhouse

Slowbro- Amnesia. That is all. Wasn't nearly as popular.

Jynx- Sleeper special powerhouse that is actually fast, unlike Eggy.

Persian- Divine speed, instata-critical slash. Often overshadowed by Tauros.

Zapdos- Electric dual attacker lacking a ground weakness.

Lapras- Bulky Starmie, pretty much. Not nearly as popular.

Chansey- Special Wall.

Rhydon- Electric absorber and late game paralyzed sweeper.

Golem- Electric absorber who could explode. Not nearly as popular as Rhydon, as he was stronger.

I know Jolteon, Cloyster (Defense through the roof and a STAB clamp in the days where is stopped everything), Dodrio, and perhaps even Dragonite got invited to the party from time to time.

Last edited: