• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Watamote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
"WataMote"
"No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!"

From Wikipedia:
Having been well-versed in the world of otome games, fifteen-year-old Tomoko Kuroki believes herself to be popular. However, upon entering high school, she discovers this is far from the truth as she winds up being an unsociable loner and is forced to take a long hard look at herself for the first time in years. The story follows Tomoko as she attempts to improve her social status as she progresses through high school.

Well, what do you guys think of the show so far? I'm loving it although I admit to never reading the manga so far. New episodes air every Monday (correct me if that's wrong).

Also, according to Amazon, the manga is stated for an official English release on October 29th so I'll just wait until after then to read the manga

This is already one of my favorite anime. I fell in love before I was even finished watching episode 1.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
This is actually one of the better manga based series released in the last few years. The OP is probably the best this season. Kuroki is a pretty cool character as well. My second favorite series this season.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
i love this anime. to bad its not doing well at all in japan seeing as they werent the ones who wanted this anime. still really enjoyable and one of the animes i look forward to every week

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I just got into this anime, it really is hilarious and I really like the main character. It reminds me of Lucky Star in a way, but the socially awkward Kuroki is just so much more entertaining inside and out and a dynamic character.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Like I do for all anime that comes out in recent times, I'm waiting until it's done airing, or at least close to finishing airing before I watch it. I'm not exactly sure what it was that caught my attention about this, whether it's the title of the anime, the girl's design, the premise, the PV, the girl herself--or all of the above--I really don't know. I just have that feeling that I know someone like her, and so it brought out nostalgia or something.

Also, to comment on what wingzx said, is it just me, or have there been a lot of good anime that don't do well in Japan but gain popularity overseas? I find that odd, honestly.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
Also, to comment on what wingzx said, is it just me, or have there been a lot of good anime that don't do well in Japan but gain popularity overseas? I find that odd, honestly.

well the only reason WataMote got a anime is cause a ton of people in the west sent emails and letters to the writers asking for the anime and he answered it by giving it to us

Jb

Tsun in the streets

That's because the Japanese like weird ****. Like moe, lolis, panty monsters and mecha anime.

I mean, they didn't like Nichijou. That confirms them for bad taste.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
That's because the Japanese like weird ****. Like moe, lolis, panty monsters and mecha anime.

ya i never understood how they disliked nichijou that anime was awesome. but didnt they love Nichibros?

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Still surprised at how well of a job they're doing adapting this so far. Both episodes have been superb.

This x1000. Any time I see the question asked online "Why didn't Nichijou sell well?" it's always met with "because it's ****" "forced humor" "just OTT reactions" etc. without any legit answers. Bad taste seems to be in the right ballpark though.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
Even though I have only seen 2 episodes so far, it is one of my favorite animes I have watched. Definitely in my top 5 (only because it is only 2 episodes long ATM and I am sure it will go higher and higher as the episode count racks up). I am currently waiting impatiently for the next episode

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Am I the only one that's not feeling the adaptation after reading the manga?
I think it's how they decided to represent kuroki.. Might be partially the voice actor for me.

Still a fun watch though

Am I the only one that's not feeling the adaptation after reading the manga?
I think it's how they decided to represent kuroki.. Might be partially the voice actor for me.
I have to agree with this. I'm not really fond of how the anime is going; the way Kuroki is depicted in the anime plus the way the VA speaks just seem too unnatural for me. I found the manga to be much better in terms of presentation and execution.

But as you've stated, still a decent and enjoyable watch.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
I have to agree with this. I'm not really fond of how the anime is going; the way Kuroki is depicted in the anime plus the way the VA speaks just seem too unnatural for me. I found the manga to be much better in terms of presentation and execution.

But as you've stated, still a decent and enjoyable watch.
The only unnatural thing I find about Tomoko is the way she looks, but I can accept that as a stylistic choice.

I really like this anime so far. Tomoko is hopeless yet endearing, which is not something I remember coming across before without the character in question being really adorable to make up for it. And the show somehow manages to be really funny as well as being touching. I can't wait to see more!

Autis-misc

Abridger
The only thing I honestly don't enjoy about this anime is the OP. Not because it's bad, but mainly because it's just not my type of music. I get a headache after listening to it for the first 5 seconds.

Blue Saturday

Tomoko has got to be one of the most realistic and stronger, relatable anime characters for me. I really like her voice acting as well, in the scene where she's ordering her hamburger for example. The softness of her voice and her overall social anxiety is conveyed very very well, you can truly feel her emotions and how hard doing something like that must be for her. I find it relatable myself because I have had terrible social anxiety in the past, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. These days my social behavior usually passes for normal when I speak to someone or meet them. She's just so endearing and weird in a great way, her not fearing talking to her family normally too was a realistically done seen in showing off her introverted nature. Or simply fearing walking past a group of kids from her school that would recognize her and her going to all that trouble to simply avoid being seen, I've had occurrences like that in the past with my classmates/peers. She's just such a treat and possibly one of my favorite anime characters out of a non-long running anime in a long time.

As for the other characters, Yuu, I'm not sure if she'll be appearing again. She might have been a one-off thing, Tomoki is likable. In the sense of being a nice foil to his sister who has terrible social problems compared to him who has absolutely zero. Something I was wondering about them both is why Tomoki has dark circles under his eyes? I realize with Tomoko it's to highlight her downward character but it doesn't make too much sense with Tomoki, unless it's meant to show off his stinging nature toward his sister. I also noticed their mother is without dark circles as well, but yeah Watamote is a nice fun show and only two episodes in I already feel committed to it completely. I am not disappointed.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Haha, did anyone else think the opening didn't make any sense? Unless, that's how Tomoko really feels even though her life is nowhere near that bad. ._.;

I kinda like Tomoko, I feel bad for her a lot but not after her imagination goes overboard.

Blue Saturday

Haha, did anyone else think the opening didn't make any sense? Unless, that's how Tomoko really feels even though her life is nowhere near that bad. ._.;
Tomoko is a massive recluse in any case, she feels introverted 100% of the time to most people outside of her family/close friends. It's really realistic, because believe it or not, a lot of people with social anxiety do act that way and feel that way. Even her mannerisms in the latest episode with her low, nearly inaudible speaking speak leaps and bounds about it. Regarding the opening, yes Tomoko feels that way. It's symbolism to the fact she's forced into a situation where she feels so timid, out of sorts, unloved or not liked by most of her peers and people around her.

Episode three, was good though I do feel it wasn't as quality as episode two and one. Episode one remains to be my favorite of the show thus far, I simply enjoyed Tomoko's moe/meek attitude most of the time once again. How she was going to so much trouble to get sick to simply miss school, I've tried similar tricks before. Even her attitude toward being stuck in the rain and being forced to stay around two other people, one of which was kinda cocky and the other was kind. The nice one had enough sympathy to buy her an umbrella, Tomoki was entertaining as usual with his disdain actions.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I thought this series felt like watching something by Shaft, or Silver Link trying to be Shaft.

Turns out it has the same director as ef. Oh.

Also after giving the OP a few more tries I... still don't like it that much. Just gonna skip it from now on. The show itself is still great, ep 3 was just as entertaining as the first two. That part where she nearly loses it when she thought someone stole her umbrella? I've done that so many times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.