1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Water monotype team

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Gen RMT' started by lifesharker, May 23, 2008.

1. lifesharker

lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

Hello! I'm currently doing a water monotype challenge on crystal. My intended team is this, but there are so many other good water types in GSC that i was wondering if this is the right team. Feel free to criticise the movesets, and if you recommend another pokemon could you say why, what you would replace and a suggested moveset please? Much appreciated! Unable to trade, btw.

;062; Poliwrath
    Mind reader
    Dynamic punch
    Ice punch
    Surf

;121; Starmie
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Recover
    Surf

;131; Lapras
    Ice beam
    Surf
    Body slam
    Rest

;160; Feraligatr
    Crunch
    Surf
    Slash
    Ice punch

;195; Quagsire
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Rest
    Curse

;199; Slowking
    Psychic
    Surf
    Headbutt
    Rest/Recover

2. boomer 30569

boomer 30569 Member

Good, a few things though
    If you cant trade then you cant get a slowking, only a slowbro. Use recover on it it is way better.
    Feraligatr cant learn crunch in this gen so use bite instead.
    Mind Reader Dynamic punch is a good combo, or you could use submission(learned by poliwrath ,not earlier forms, at lv. 35) and a filler move.

3. lifesharker

Sorry, i should have been more specific. My golds battery has died, so i can't trade pokemon found on gold and not on crystal easily as I'd have to play far enough through gold to catch it in one sitting. However, i can get far enough in one sitting to get the trade function in gold, allowing me to trade to evolve.

I considered another fighting move and a filler- In the end i went with dynamic punch because of the extra attack power and confusion. I intend to have Poliwrath face Red's Snorlax, so i want to be as sure as possible I can take it out in one hit- and if i can't, the confusion could stop it using Rest. If I can think of a good filler, I'll use Submission & filler instead.

I was going to breed to get Feraligatrs crunch, but i've just realised that no pokemon i can breed Feraligatr with can learn crunch naturally either, and I can't be bothered to do it twice for an ingame team, so I will use bite instead. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel Well-Known Member

He can't learn Recover. so Rest is needed. Thunder Wave over Headbutt if you can still get it. and then keep it the same from there

5. lifesharker

My own changes in bold
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 26, 2008