• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Water monotype team

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Hello! I'm currently doing a water monotype challenge on crystal. My intended team is this, but there are so many other good water types in GSC that i was wondering if this is the right team. Feel free to criticise the movesets, and if you recommend another pokemon could you say why, what you would replace and a suggested moveset please? Much appreciated! Unable to trade, btw.

;062; Poliwrath
Mind reader
Dynamic punch
Ice punch
Surf

;121; Starmie
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Recover
Surf

;131; Lapras
Ice beam
Surf
Body slam
Rest

;160; Feraligatr
Crunch
Surf
Slash
Ice punch

;195; Quagsire
Earthquake
Surf
Rest
Curse

;199; Slowking
Psychic
Surf
Headbutt
Rest/Recover

Good, a few things though
If you cant trade then you cant get a slowking, only a slowbro. Use recover on it it is way better.
Feraligatr cant learn crunch in this gen so use bite instead.
Mind Reader Dynamic punch is a good combo, or you could use submission(learned by poliwrath ,not earlier forms, at lv. 35) and a filler move.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Good, a few things though
If you cant trade then you cant get a slowking, only a slowbro. Use recover on it it is way better.
Feraligatr cant learn crunch in this gen so use bite instead.
Mind Reader Dynamic punch is a good combo, or you could use submission(learned by poliwrath ,not earlier forms, at lv. 35) and a filler move.

Sorry, i should have been more specific. My golds battery has died, so i can't trade pokemon found on gold and not on crystal easily as I'd have to play far enough through gold to catch it in one sitting. However, i can get far enough in one sitting to get the trade function in gold, allowing me to trade to evolve.

I considered another fighting move and a filler- In the end i went with dynamic punch because of the extra attack power and confusion. I intend to have Poliwrath face Red's Snorlax, so i want to be as sure as possible I can take it out in one hit- and if i can't, the confusion could stop it using Rest. If I can think of a good filler, I'll use Submission & filler instead.

I was going to breed to get Feraligatrs crunch, but i've just realised that no pokemon i can breed Feraligatr with can learn crunch naturally either, and I can't be bothered to do it twice for an ingame team, so I will use bite instead. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

133tSneasel

Hello! I'm currently doing a water monotype challenge on crystal. My intended team is this, but there are so many other good water types in GSC that i was wondering if this is the right team. Feel free to criticise the movesets, and if you recommend another pokemon could you say why, what you would replace and a suggested moveset please? Much appreciated! Unable to trade, btw.

;062; Poliwrath
Mind reader
Dynamic punch
Ice punch
Surf

There is the Mind Reader/Fissure Combo with Hypnosis. I really like Hypnosis on my Poli-pokemon so drop it for Ice Punch, if your going to use an Ice attack use Ice Beam, not Punch, its stronger. and Drop Mind Reader for Earthquake, Submission is better then Dynamic Punch, cuz of pp and accuracy.

;121; Starmie
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Recover
Surf

I guess that can work, maybe Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray over one of the element moves.

;131; Lapras
Ice beam
Surf
Body slam
Rest

Sleep Talk, and Thunderbolt over Body Slam, and Ice Beam.

;160; Feraligatr
Crunch
Surf
Slash
Ice punch

Earthquake, Rock Slide or Ancient Power, and Curse. Keep Surf. Curse over Slash, and Ice Punch Rock Slide and Ancient Power. Dynamic Punch over Crunch.
you can put Hydro Pump over Surf for power, since his special isn't so stealer

;195; Quagsire
Earthquake
Surf
Rest
Curse

Maybe Sludge Bomb for incoming grasses and Zapdos. Ancient Power is good over that, but then you can't really hit Grass types. It should be over Surf, but you can keep that.

;199; Slowking
Psychic
Surf
Headbutt
Rest/Recover

He can't learn Recover. so Rest is needed. Thunder Wave over Headbutt if you can still get it. and then keep it the same from there

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
;062; Poliwrath
Mind reader/Hypnosis
Dynamic punch/Submission
Ice punch
Surf

There is the Mind Reader/Fissure Combo with Hypnosis. I really like Hypnosis on my Poli-pokemon so drop it for Ice Punch, if your going to use an Ice attack use Ice Beam, not Punch, its stronger. and Drop Mind Reader for Earthquake, Submission is better then Dynamic Punch, cuz of pp and accuracy. Ice punch is for grass coverage should Lapras be out of commision. I'm probably going to keep submission over dynamic punch up until Red, when I'll want dynamic punch's power. and the challenge doesnt allow trading to RBY, so no fissure.

;121; Starmie
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Recover
Surf

I guess that can work, maybe Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray over one of the element moves. I considered dropping surf for confuse ray, but this set gives me total type coverage, and ingame confuse ray is rarely worth it, imho

;131; Lapras
Ice beam
Surf
Sleep talk
Rest

Sleep Talk, and Thunderbolt over Body Slam, and Ice Beam.I think i may go for Sleep talk over Body slam, but Ice beam Lapras is the best grass coverage an all water team can come up with

;160; Feraligatr
Bite (as Crunch requires several rebreedings)
Ancient power
Slash
Curse

Earthquake, Rock Slide or Ancient Power, and Curse. Keep Surf. Curse over Slash, and Ice Punch Rock Slide and Ancient Power. Dynamic Punch over Crunch. you can put Hydro Pump over Surf for power, since his special isn't so stealer Rock slide, i believe, requires several breedings. If this were competitive, I'd agree with you, but ingame it's just too much effort. Dynamic punch without mindreader/lockon is pointless, and I'll want some sort of dark later on for Sabrina/Red's espeon. I'll consider Curse or Ancientpower over Ice punch or Surf

;195; Quagsire
Earthquake
Ancient power
Rest
Curse

Maybe Sludge Bomb for incoming grasses and Zapdos. Ancient Power is good over that, but then you can't really hit Grass types. It should be over Surf, but you can keep that.This is an ingame team- Zapdos isn't an issue. I may well go for ancient power over surf due to Quagsire lacklustre special attack. and theres no point covering grass types with quagsire; his terrible speed means they'll hit first and his medioce special defence and 4x weakness means they'll take him down in one hit.

;199; Slowking
Psychic
Surf
Headbutt/Thunderwave (if possible)
Rest

He can't learn Recover. so Rest is needed. Thunder Wave over Headbutt if you can still get it. and then keep it the same from thereI wasn't sure if he could learn recover, thats why i put both. I will thunder wave over headbutt, if i can

My own changes in bold
Thanks!

Last edited: