1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Water montype team: Take two.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Gen RMT' started by lifesharker, Jul 3, 2008.

1. lifesharker

lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

Hello, world! I'm doing a water monotype challenge, and I thought I had my team sorted until just after I beat Price, when I had a major change of heart. I only want 5 pokemon (to leave space for a permanant flyer), but I have 7 to choose from (I could catch and train a Krabby or Chinchou, but too much effort at this point.) So, my seven contenders for the top five places are:

;130; Gyarados
    Surf
    Double-edge
    Ice beam
    Dragonbreath

;195; Quagsire
    Earthquake
    Ancient power
    Rest
    Curse

;062; Poliwrath
    Mind reader/Hypnosis
    Dynamic punch/Submission
    Ice punch
    Surf

;121; Starmie
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Recover
    Surf

;131; Lapras
    Ice beam
    Sleep talk
    Rest
    Surf

;160; Feraligatr
    Bite
    Slash
    Curse
    Filler

;199; Slowking
    Psychic
    Surf
    Thunderwave
    Rest

Any suggestions for my movesets are welcome, but I'm mainly wondering which 5 should I go with and why?

2. poke'master

poke'master Well-Known Member

Quagsire - You'd be nuts not to use him with his immunity to electricity!!!
    Poliwrath - Strong with his fighting side and option of hypnosis, he's very vercatile and wroth considering
    Starmie - Starmie is great to have with electric and psychic attacks (psychic will eliminate alot of early grass types because most are half poison ^^) however slowking prob has better stats so use either one dependong on who you like more.. its a toss up but i prefer starmie
    Lapras - Lapras is always good, strong ice moves which are always useful, Fair bit of HP to annoy people (like me ><) and the option of sing if your into that.. although it's like 55% accurate so it's up to you
    Feraligatr - Needs a move like surf imo but is good to have with Bite and Slash to shake things up.. He's a personal favourite, or one of, so that might have had an impact on this but he's always reliable.. i tought mine dynamic punch in silver and he was unstopable

Those are my suggestions.. It's really up to you but i'd go with those. Good luck on your challenge

EDIT: Please excuse spelling errors, I just finished work and it's 7am

3. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel Well-Known Member

Gyarados: Put Zap-Cannon over Dragonbreath
    Quagsire: That's fine, SludgeBomb can go over Ancient Power
    Poliwrath: Hypnosis, Belly Drum, Submission, Surf or Ice Beam. Belly Drum works well to increase it's attack
    Starmie: Thunder Wave over Psychic
    Lapras: Thunderbolt over Surf
    Feraligatr: Curse, Earhquake, Rock Slide, Hydro Pump

Drop Slowking, it's slow and special defenses don't matter that much, you might as well use Bro, he can use Zap-Cannon and has better defenses.

4. mew-the original

mew-the original Binchsquatch

yeah ditch Slowking.

and on Poliwrath, switch surf for something like body slam.

5. Dragon_Reborn

Dragon_Reborn Well-Known Member

All my changes/comments are in bold above.I think you have a pretty good mono water team.Some other good water types to keep an eye out for would be Slowbro,Tentacruel,Cloyster,Lanturn.Slowbro could make a outstanding physical wall for your team.Slowbro's great HP and good special defense allows it to take some special based attacks well too.Tentacruel can make a pretty good special wall that can also dish out some damage as well.With Tentacruel being a poison type too negates out grass weakness.Cloyster makes a good physical wall too and can be used as the only best Spiker in the game.Probably won't be able to take as much special attack hits then Slowbro can.Lanturn is a good electric weakness stopper.Amazingly,he is part electric which shuts down electrics well.Lanturn can also take hits pretty well too since he has high HP stat.Lanturn can make a good "parafusion"pokemon.Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray can mess up some pokemon bad.Here are some moveset for these pokemon if you decide on maybe using a few.

Slowbro
    -Psychic
    -Surf
    -Rest
    -Thunder Wave
    Similar moveset to Slowking,but different defense/special defense stats.

Tentacruel
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Swords Dance
    -Surf
    -Substitute

Cloyster
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf
    -Spikes
    -Rest

Lanturn
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder
    -Confuse Ray/Rain Dance/Rest
    -Thunder Wave/Sleep Talk
    Lots of options here.You can use the Sleep Talk moveset,Parafusion(Thunder Wave+Confuse Ray).Also Rain Dance is in there to help Thunder hit 100%.