• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Water Types: Platonic ideal or red herring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genwinner

HM 06: Blast
We've got a whole lot of threads about favourites; how about a discussion thread? Your topic:

What makes water types so great? Is a pure water type better than one of mixed types? And, is there an ultimate water-type in gen 3 (Starmie? Milotic? Swampert? Kingra?)?

Make your case.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I'm not one of those "too much water" critics who dislikes how many sea areas the Hoenn games had, but I felt that the Hoenn PokeDex had way too many Water Pokemon. The best were Milotic and Swampert in my opinion.

genwinner

HM 06: Blast
I'm not one of those "too much water" critics who dislikes how many sea areas the Hoenn games had, but I felt that the Hoenn PokeDex had way too many Water Pokemon. The best were Milotic and Swampert in my opinion.

What about Milotic and Swampert makes you rate them above the others?

Kalosian

So long
Water-types were pretty great in Gen 3, as far as I know. From a competitive/semi-competitive standpoint, Starmie and Gyarados were great sweepers while others like Suicune, Vaporeon, Swampert, Milotic and Slowbro fell into the category "Bulky Waters", they were Pokemon with strong Defense but without any Physical weaknesses and often had the ability to boost their Special Defense as well. Kyogre was obviously also amazing, but it is in a category of its own. As for the best Water-type in this generation, I think Suicune is the one. It has excellent stats all-round, Calm Mind to boost its stats and a good enough movepool. Sadly, obtaining a Suicune with good IVs/Nature within the games is extremely difficult and tedious. Swampert would be another alternative as it is can fulfill many roles and only has one weakness. It is also amazing for in-game playthoughs of R/S/E.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I'm not a very active battler, so I couldn't really speak from that point of view. But I think it's amazing how there are Water types that are paired up with as different types as Ground, Grass, Dark and Bug in this game. I can't think of any other types like that in Generation 3, except maybe Flying.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
My favourites are Starmie, because it's fast and versatile, Milotic, because it is bulky and picks up Recover, and Vaporeon, because it is also bulky and has Water Absorb. Shame Gyarados and Swampert couldn't use their Water STAB moves that well yet due to the lack of the physical/special split. Oh, I obviously like Kyogre,too, but it's overpowered to the point of being banned from the battle facilities.

EspNeon

Badge Collector
Hoenn had a large expanse of Water, and was one of the first to introduce the concept of "puddles", to give a marshy/swampy effect, so it only seemed natural that there was an influx of Water types and part water types.

I can't particularly speak as a competitive battle, but I remember as a kid struggling with Ludicolo. That thing was just a plain nightmare. Although, I do remember managing to complete solo ( I use the term loosely, it was more a case of I only rrained my starter and everything else just casually levelled on occasion) run with Swampert. Ice Beam/Waterfall/Brick Break/Earthquake could destroy the Elite 4, no questions :D

The 3rd Gen games had way too many Water Pokemon available and only a few were good enough to use. Stuff like Swampert, Starmie, Milotic, and Kingdra were useful, but Seaking, Corsola, Luvdisc, Relicanth, Huntail, and Gorebyss seemed weak by comparison.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
I honestly like Luvdisc the best out of the Hoenn water types. I think a water type should just look like a water type,

Daizy

I call you honey
Stuff like Swampert, Starmie, Milotic, and Kingdra were useful, but Seaking, Corsola, Luvdisc, Relicanth, Huntail, and Gorebyss seemed weak by comparison.

Depends what you mean by useful. In terms of battles, Corsola and the other Water types may seem weak, but not every player focused on battling.

Status
Not open for further replies.