• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ways Nintendo can ruin their own games

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
(I think there isn't a topic like this, I also don't mean to be mean or anything)

We all know that Nintendo has pretty fantastic games like Super Mario Galaxy and Pokemon Di,Per and Plat and even more to the fact that they have popular gaming mascots like Samus,Link and Pikachu (and of course Mario) but what if they did something to one of the upcoming Nintendo games that was a little unforgivable? like mess up the plot or somthing or turn games like Fire Emblem into a useless minigame collection. (well that might sorta work...).
If this topic sounds like a forum game then please move it.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
Well they already ruined the Paper Mario franchise by not making it an RPG so what will stop them next time.

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
Well they already ruined the Paper Mario franchise by not making it an RPG so what will stop them next time.

^This

Paper Mario was a fantastic new idea for a Mario franchise, and I'd say it damn near perfect. Then they came out with TTYD, and that was nearly perfect too!

Then they threw it all away with that P.O.S. game Super Paper Mario. Terrible.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter

SPM is still an RPG. It features a level up feature, has characters with unique abilities, and provides a story filled with many chapters exploring different places. It just combines it with the platforming of the old Mario games.

And battling the Underchomp screams Earthbound battle.

^This

Paper Mario was a fantastic new idea for a Mario franchise, and I'd say it damn near perfect. Then they came out with TTYD, and that was nearly perfect too!

Then they threw it all away with that P.O.S. game Super Paper Mario. Terrible.

I never once heard that Super Paper Mario was a terrible game.

IGN gives it an 8.9 out of 10.

Gamespot gives an 8.8 out of 10.

Game Informer and Nintendo Power gave it 9.5 out of 10.

Do I need to go on?

But Mario doesn't need swordplay or a werewolf transformation, that's for sure. =P

Then they came out with TTYD, and that was perfect too!

Fixed.

Super Paper Mario was a great game, by no means was it poor, and the transition to a Platformer was justified considering the direction that Nintendo was and has been taking at the time and ever since. RPGs aren't particularly easily accessible, especially to younger players, as they can scare off some people with the way they work and how to play them. SPM was an incredibly easy game, while still keeping the sort of humor from previous Paper Mario games and the style of writing as TTYD. SPM only really failed compared to the first two in terms of difficulty, character development, and a few other minor things (The humor wasn't quite as good as the first two, levels seemed a bit more linear, etc.), but it went by too quickly and didn't have as memorable of a plot or anything of the sort to keep it within as good standing as the first two.

I can go on, but I'll leave it at that.

And let me also add to this thread that Nintendo has been slowly "ruining" their games lately. Ruining is quite a harsh way to put it, but look at some of the things Nintendo has done in the past, for example. Animal Crossing: City Folk based itself more off of the GCN version than it did the DS version, which many people appreciated. Unfortunately, however, that meant that it took steps backwards in the form of downgrading your house to the same size as the ones in the GCN version. To top it off, things such as Kap'n and the Tropical Island were not present, loading screens were added, and the new addition of the City was really just taking most of the random events and shoving them into one hub so you could do them all at once, every day or week.

Or another great example in the form of the newest WiiWare Pokemon game; Melee! Pokemon Scramble! The game looked like an awesome idea, and while it still is very cool, new and interesting for the Pokemon franchise, they chopped the Pokemon in the game in half by only allowing the Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon. They have all the Pokemon loaded in their Ranch looks on the WiiWare already, so what else is keeping them from adding them into the final product of the game?

Or look even at the Wii Menu itself. The possibilities are near endless for things to add to there. They could take after Microsoft and give themes to people, add some more customization or anything, really. While the channels we have now are all good, why not take any further steps? The Mii Channel could certainly use some new looks for download, for example. It's almost as if they're taking a great thing and either chaining it up to keep it from growing or cutting it off at the legs so it falls short.

The thing I think Nintendo is suffering from is almost like a lack of wanting to press onwards with where gaming is going. Their role in online play is there, for example, but not very big, and certainly not anything like Microsoft. While they do have DLC for some games, it's not all that impressive to say the least, and how many games honestly have it and put good use to it? It seems almost like Nintendo is trying to preserve older gaming, which is by no means a bad thing, but they've become to obsessed with it, I think. Not only that, but they think that younger or inexperienced audiences are confused or intimidated by these things, which is a fair reason for not pressing on, but does that mean they shouldn't allow any more of a direction to grow? If you're going to cater to the non-gaming crowd do so, but cater to those who have been with you from the beginning, too.

I can go on, but I'm sure this post will be overlooked due to length already.

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
You're right on most of that. Except I think that Animal Crossing City Folk needed to be more like the gamecube version. I my opinion, Wild World was terrible (I'm sure it got good ratings as well) and the introduction of the 'world' format was terrible, and it's still present in City Folk. Acres were a lot easier to navigate, and allowed you to perfect your town easier. The island is another example (like you said) is a Gamcube version feature that could have been implemented. And lastly they removed the golden and money trees.

I guess Nintendo believes they cannot survive in the world of modern gaming so they must remain in their 'old-style' niche. Our only hope is to wait. Back in the 1800's, the United States threatened Japan to join the modern world or they would be taken over. The realized they could not continues living like this and now they're one of the world's leading nations. Maybe history will repeat itself.

ShoelaceKid

Narutopokedude;9928695I said:
guess Nintendo believes they cannot survive in the world of modern gaming so they must remain in their 'old-style' niche. Our only hope is to wait. Back in the 1800's, the United States threatened Japan to join the modern world or they would be taken over. The realized they could not continues living like this and now they're one of the world's leading nations. Maybe history will repeat itself.

The only thing about that is that Japan was completely cut off from everything else- by choice because they thought everyone else in the world were barbarians. I don't think that Nintendo is exactly doing that. I don't think that Nintendo has shut itself off from ideas of the other gaming companies, or "super powers" It's choosing to pursue a different audience than what the others are, the casual players as apposed to the more hard core, so it's taking different actions. Actions towards re-using and re-inventing formulas that did work in the past with the hopes of drawing in veteran players and new, alike. With some games I think they did it nicely, like with Mario Galaxy. With others they did an ok job, like with Twilight Princess (I like the game, don't get me wrong, I think that it is just too easy)

What I think will bring Nintendo down is watering over the games for more casual players too much, therefore ruining everyones outlook on Nintendo games.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
The #1 way Nintendo can ruin their games is by listening to us fans. They know what to do, and we are some of the most shifty and unsatisfiable groups out there. If we had our way, Brawl would have 5000 characters, Galaxy would be better than sliced bread, and there would be gold and silver remakes.

ShoelaceKid

The #1 way Nintendo can ruin their games is by listening to us fans. They know what to do, and we are some of the most shifty and unsatisfiable groups out there. If we had our way, Brawl would have 5000 characters, Galaxy would be better than sliced bread, and there would be gold and silver remakes.

I think they actually implanted that idea into our heads. Make us feel like we have power, you know.

BCVM22

This x 1000.

I think they actually implanted that idea into our heads.

No, the fans themselves - ourselves? - are the only ones to blame for thinking we really have anything to contribute but buying the games.

woot21

super noob
How is any of that a bad thing?

woot21 out dawgs

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
How is any of that a bad thing?

woot21 out dawgs

Can you imagine the complaining over the tier list if brawl had an extra 4965 characters?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Nintendo often ruins their own games by coming up with innovations that no one appreciates.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Can you imagine the complaining over the tier list if brawl had an extra 4965 characters?

To be fair, and somewhat realistic, Japan did put up that poll that allowed Sonic to be in. Also, there was a poll where fans were asked which Nintendo characters they'd like. King Dedede won out, with Ridley missing out by a small margin.

The fanbase may not play a part directly, but fan reaction does have an impact. If it wasn't for the fans' appreciation for Marth and Roy in Melee, the Fire Emblem franchise may never have been localized.

Chris

Old Coot
How in the world did Super Paper Mario "ruin" the Paper Mario franchise? Because it added action elements?

With that logic, one could say Paper Mario "ruined" the Super Mario RPG franchise (Paper Mario was originally supposed to be the sequel to Super Mario RPG) simply because it's somewhat different from the original.

As mentioned, the one way Nintendo could screw things up is by listening to most of the fans. Nintendo would lose money on bringing Mother 3 to the US, Brawl would just be Melee+ and the Zelda franchise would be nothing more than "realistic" adventures as opposed to the ORIGINALLY INTENDED cartoonish looks.

Another would be to pull a SEGA. In order to do that, they'd have to fire all of the original heads that made the company what it was, bring in new people and have them work on new games non-stop without time to breath. Think about it; we'd see two or three new Mario, Zelda and Metroid games every year that promises to be better than the last but ends up with disastrous results.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Fixed.

Super Paper Mario was a great game, by no means was it poor, and the transition to a Platformer was justified considering the direction that Nintendo was and has been taking at the time and ever since. RPGs aren't particularly easily accessible, especially to younger players, as they can scare off some people with the way they work and how to play them. SPM was an incredibly easy game, while still keeping the sort of humor from previous Paper Mario games and the style of writing as TTYD. SPM only really failed compared to the first two in terms of difficulty, character development, and a few other minor things (The humor wasn't quite as good as the first two, levels seemed a bit more linear, etc.), but it went by too quickly and didn't have as memorable of a plot or anything of the sort to keep it within as good standing as the first two.

I can go on, but I'll leave it at that.

And let me also add to this thread that Nintendo has been slowly "ruining" their games lately. Ruining is quite a harsh way to put it, but look at some of the things Nintendo has done in the past, for example. Animal Crossing: City Folk based itself more off of the GCN version than it did the DS version, which many people appreciated. Unfortunately, however, that meant that it took steps backwards in the form of downgrading your house to the same size as the ones in the GCN version. To top it off, things such as Kap'n and the Tropical Island were not present, loading screens were added, and the new addition of the City was really just taking most of the random events and shoving them into one hub so you could do them all at once, every day or week.

Or another great example in the form of the newest WiiWare Pokemon game; Melee! Pokemon Scramble! The game looked like an awesome idea, and while it still is very cool, new and interesting for the Pokemon franchise, they chopped the Pokemon in the game in half by only allowing the Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon. They have all the Pokemon loaded in their Ranch looks on the WiiWare already, so what else is keeping them from adding them into the final product of the game?

Or look even at the Wii Menu itself. The possibilities are near endless for things to add to there. They could take after Microsoft and give themes to people, add some more customization or anything, really. While the channels we have now are all good, why not take any further steps? The Mii Channel could certainly use some new looks for download, for example. It's almost as if they're taking a great thing and either chaining it up to keep it from growing or cutting it off at the legs so it falls short.

The thing I think Nintendo is suffering from is almost like a lack of wanting to press onwards with where gaming is going. Their role in online play is there, for example, but not very big, and certainly not anything like Microsoft. While they do have DLC for some games, it's not all that impressive to say the least, and how many games honestly have it and put good use to it? It seems almost like Nintendo is trying to preserve older gaming, which is by no means a bad thing, but they've become to obsessed with it, I think. Not only that, but they think that younger or inexperienced audiences are confused or intimidated by these things, which is a fair reason for not pressing on, but does that mean they shouldn't allow any more of a direction to grow? If you're going to cater to the non-gaming crowd do so, but cater to those who have been with you from the beginning, too.

I can go on, but I'm sure this post will be overlooked due to length already.

Agreed with all of this.

I didn't think that Super Paper Mario was a bad game. It was just too easy like said above.

I didn't like Pokemon Battle Revolution. All it was was battling in 3D since most of the features were taken out and the only one was trainer customization, which was cool, but seemed very limited.

I can't really think of any other than that.

BCVM22

I didn't like Pokemon Battle Revolution. All it was was battling in 3D since most of the features were taken out and the only one was trainer customization, which was cool, but seemed very limited.

Which is all it was ever intended to be. For some reason, the fandom at large seemed to assume that it would not only be the megaton console RPG that they think they want, but that it would also cure cancer and do their homework for them, and they maintained this misconception right up until they put the game in their Wii units and played it, at which point they complained because, shockingly enough, it was just 3D battling.

Again, the fans are at fault, not the developer.