• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ways to improve videogames

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Was thinking about this lately, especially in regarding Super Mario Maker 2. Wish they could patch in a way to turn off effects like strobing lights. It would be nice, since some levels I've seen tend to overuse them and it can be rather overwhelming.

What could be improved in games?

Let's keep things sarcasm and trolling free. Thanks.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Since people have complained about it, in Dragon Quest XI, I would have it to where characters can store pep as long as they don't attack that turn, so that those missions are easier. One thing I would especially change would be in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, where you can unlock the bonus chapters later on without having to sacrifice characters. Really, why did they do it that way?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
You reminded me of something. I wish games would stop using points of no return. Stopped playing Goldensun Dark Dawn due to it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
That reminds me actually, the one thing I would change in Final Fantasy VII would be to not have permanently missing items once you reach a certain point. Instead, they could opt to have them available much later in the game.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
That reminds me actually, the one thing I would change in Final Fantasy VII would be to not have permanently missing items once you reach a certain point. Instead, they could opt to have them available much later in the game.

FFVII actually wasn't as bad with that. The only things that were permanently missable were the Huge Materia and by extension the items associated with them. The other items you could eventually get.

But the worst offender in the FF series by far when it came to missables, was Final Fantasy IX. You have a game that is on par with Donkey Kong 64 in terms of how many collectibles there are. And so many of them can easily be permanently missed simply by not being in the right place at the right time. In fact, you can't even get one of the ultimate weapons without getting to the end of the game in under 12 hours, forcing you to skip other missable items to avoid missing the deadline because they would take too long to obtain. In other words, it is literally impossible to get everything in one playthrough of the game.

Since people have complained about it, in Dragon Quest XI, I would have it to where characters can store pep as long as they don't attack that turn, so that those missions are easier. One thing I would especially change would be in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, where you can unlock the bonus chapters later on without having to sacrifice characters. Really, why did they do it that way?

I used to say that the problem with Dragon Quest XI's Pep system is the problem with FFIX's Trance system. You really don't have any control over when you go into it. The game has to kind of just decide to let you go into the state. Made worse by the fact that numerous quests in the game require enemies to be defeated by specific skills you can only access in that state, meaning you just have to get lucky and hope it happens. DQXI's only saving grace in this is the fact that you can switch the party member out after they go into that state to 'save' it for when the other character or characters you need are also in the state. But you're ultimately still at the mercy of the RNG.

Last edited:

WalesNote

I would say developers should approach game design as players as well as developers. There are many things developers do that are not very good, some of them being idiotic.

Like in Majora's Mask 3D, Zora Link couldn't swim the same as in the original release unless you used his magic barrier thing. There was no reason to change it, yet they thought they should. The Twinmold fight turned into a wrestling match, which was beyond silly to me.

Dumbing things down is also something I despise. Doesn't make for good game design. Instead, they could just add difficulty levels. Would solve all the problems in that area if they did.

Of course, developers should make the games they want, but that doesn't mean they are doing what they should be doing, and it doesn't mean fans will like it either.
To some extent, I would say games should be made for the fans, like with Smash Bros characters that fans want should be included (within reason I suppose), or things like that.

Going back to your roots is one method to understand and improve future games in a series, or at least it's something that lots of fans would like, so it would sell to some extent at least.

--

For Pokémon, I think difficulty levels could be added in as standard. That would help to please the more hardcore fans. Maybe more focus on telling a good story, and providing good post-game content as well.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Well at least Pokemon is focusing on expansion content with DLC that's post-game. Third versions were kind of outdated and arguably cheap.