• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

WB Channel to close!

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
This is really important news. I was worried that I wouldn't know what channel Pokemon would be on this fall. Now, knowing that both UPN and WB are merging, I can breath a bit easier. I know that I get both channels, but I'm not sure if they would use a new numbered channel. Hopefully, they'll keep it at a channel where I wouldn't need digital cable or something like that to get the channel. If they keep Pokemon in the timeline it is in right now, then I'll be happy, as well as other people here would.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Kinda ironic, Pokemon's first batch of episodes aired on UPN, before it was moved to KidsWB.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Actually, the first 40 eps aired in syndication-and some UPN affiliates happened to pick it up

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
I got a little nervous when the news on tv said WB and UPN would be merging to make a new channel. I just hope it stays on local tv. WB and UPN are both local channels i think so they should keep it local. If it goes to cable or if pokemon moves to only Cartoon Network im screwed. I need my weekly dose of pokemon. Dont anyone tell me to get DVDs or Cable cause i dont have the money for it. Seems WB was already setting up for this merger by moving the cartoons to only Saturday and adding an hour. I dont mind if the two channels merge as long as they stay on local tv but it seems a lot of shows are going to be cut. I know UPN doesnt have many hit shows but WB has quite a few. I dont think they will take it off local channels since a lot of people watch it but you never know. Digital cable is becoming a big thing even though its so darn expensive. Just dont take it off local channels please!

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
LMAO at this irony.

WB owns the Drew Carey Show now. Drew Carey bashes UPN on his show Whose Line is it Anyways? (which is aired on ABC anyways). You think this will affect Drew Carey? I love the Drew Carey show...

CoolTrainerTerry

Rising Trainer
I found this out literally five minutes ago. Good news is, Pokemon will still be airing. Bad news, I hope it's on network television, CW that is. But, Pokemon IS going to CW this fall, so we don't have to worry about that. Kids WB, home of Pokemon, R.I.P. 1996 - 2006

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
I don't think the people who decided to do this would cut out a bunch of their viewers by being on a channel that's not as accessible as it had been. That would be bad for the fans, AND themselves.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Also, FOX Broadcasting, owners of LA FOX affiliate KTTV and UPN affiliate KCOP, could be pretty upset, because FOX had signed a deal to keep UPN on LA's KCOP until at least 2010. KCOP would also be upset after so many years of loyalty.

Anyways, Pokemon will still air because of a contract. I know it's pretty shocking, but I could take the new independent stations and start my own TV network.

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
CoolTrainerTerry said:
Kids WB, home of Pokemon, R.I.P. 1996 - 2006

Pokemon was on UPN from late 98 to early 99, and on Kids WB 99-present.

As long as Pokemon is still there, and I can access the channel which I'll probably be able to, I don't mind. The channel probably won't be a cable channel, since both the WB and UPN aren't.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Psychic Venusaur said:
Pokemon was on UPN from late 98 to early 99, and on Kids WB 99-present.

Again, the first 40 eps actually aired in syndication-and some UPN affiliates happened to pick it up

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
Yall keep forgetting that there will be a 5 Hour Time Block for us "Kids" according to the article. http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060124/bs_nm/media_cbs_warner1_dc

I'm not worried - if anything I hope it moves to Cartoon Network because I dislike all the other shows on WB. We dont even get UPN in Austin, but they have it in Houston (I never watched it though, too boring)

~Scott;229;

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Pokeshipping Togetic said:
AWW! Hell no That's just ******** unbelievable, taking a way Pokemon from WBkids that's crap

What the heck are you complaining about? The show's still going to be on. And nobody's taking the show away from Kids' WB; the point is that, come Fall 2006, there'll be no Kids' WB anymore because there isn't going to be a WB network anymore - it's merging with UPN to create one network, which is where "Pokémon" will air from then on.

It's not that hard to understand. You don't need to make it this complicated, folks.

Swifty

Less competition in the network television market. BLAH. :\ We used to have NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, UPN (Owned by CBS), and WB. Now it's just NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox since WB and UPN are now out of the picture under the auspices of CBS.

Poor KCOP in the Los Angeles region. KTLA is WB's flagship affiliate TV station on the West Coast, most likely because the WB Studios are like, right there in Burbank. They're going definitely are going to pick up CW while the poor UPN affiliate KCOP gets nuttin'.

Wikipedia said:
The network will provide 13 hours of prime-time programming to the newly affiliated stations, adopting the WB's present programming schedule: 8-10pm Monday to Friday (all times ET/PT), 5-10pm Sundays, 3-5pm weekday afternoons, and a five-hour Saturday morning animation block. Specific programming has not yet been formally confirmed, although the two networks' strongest series, such as Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, and others have been cited in the media as possible components in the Fall 2006 season. WWE Friday Night SmackDown! is "expected to play a role" on the schedule, according to a press release, but any carriage is subject to negotiations between WWE and the new network.

I'm rather curious as to how they'll brand their block of Saturday Morning Cartoons. I doubt they're going to stick with the "Kid's WB" brand, considering they're no longer part of the entity known as the "WB", but now the "CW."

Let's look forward to Kid's CW peoples. All the while, I'll stick with BitTorrenting my episodes because I can never get up before 1:00 PM on Saturdays (Hangovers).

Last edited:
P

Pikachu90000

That's just sweet. I recive KSTW(UPN) here but not WTWB(WB). KSTW is going to be a CW affliate and now that I know that Pokemon will be on CW, I won't have to watch YTV anymore.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Swifty said:
Less competition in the network television market. BLAH. :\ We used to have NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, UPN (Owned by CBS), and WB. Now it's just NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox since WB and UPN are now out of the picture under the auspices of CBS.

Poor KCOP in the Los Angeles region. KTLA is WB's flagship affiliate TV station on the West Coast, most likely because the WB Studios are like, right there in Burbank. They're going definitely are going to pick up CW while the poor UPN affiliate KCOP gets nuttin'.

Yeah, and after how loyal UPN was to KCOP-and KCOP's owners, News Corp, signed an 8-year pact in 2002 to keep UPN on KCOP. In fact, News Corp could file a lawsuit to block the merger from happening.

Last edited:

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Jesse GS the II said:
Wait...if you're listing good shows that would likely get picked up by the new network, why would you include "Friends" in there? Since when was that show ever good?

You win this thread.

Anyways, I really wish some of you people would learn how to read a goddamn press release and could go at least one week without prophesizing the end of Pokemon on American TV. The show is still going to be airing on local TV (that's what "terrestrial channel" means, Hidden Mew and RaikousThunder), so really, nothing's going to change.

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to update my sig once again. It's really starting to get crowded...

Solar Crimson

A Crimson Tide
Me Yesterday said:
Are you serious?! This just basically screws up everything! I'm concerned more with the fates of shows like Everybody Hates Chris, Half & Half, and WWE Smackdown! than Pokémon, though.

My guess is lack of funding and/or ratings.
Okay, maybe I overreacted here. But I still don't see how it'll work, unless they expand Prime Time by a hour (making it 3 hours like NBC and ABC). That would be a good decision, IMO.