• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Let's cut out the arguing. This is a general warning. Disliking things are fine. But devolving into an argument, isn't.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Frankly, I find Quaquaval less humanoid than I expected. People talk about it's "butt" but having it poke out like that actually makes it more like a real bird rather than more humanoid. Humanoid would be the likes of Blaziken and its completely upright back. Quaquaval is more a coot/peacock hybrid that has longer legs and is standing up as straight as it can.

And it may be flamboyant, but I don't think that makes it some gay stereotype as I've seen some argue. It fits a suave, makes-the-ladies swoon dancer about as well, just with a silly prancing run thrown in. It's focus on dancing, colorful appearance, etc. are all more common as male bird traits for wooing females, or just for mutual wooing when the sexes look the same.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I don’t care if it’s someone’s favorite, I’m not talking objectively here. For me it’s the worst lol.

Stop taking every opinion so personal lol, when did I say my opinion was a fact ? lol. People are allowed to dislike things you like, deal with it.

If people don’t want to see dissent, social media is the last place they should be roaming around.
Then I'm not talking about you then

I'm talking about people like OP who keeps going around saying things like this as if they are completely 100% objective facts (and you can tell by their other posts that they seem to believe their opinions are facts).

Tsukisha

Why getting so serious about disliking a Pokémon? What did it do to you?
Quaquaval looks awesome, explosively handsome with that chain of feathers dancing around it. Also, do you know that my favourite starter is Meganium and the more people dislike on it the more I love it? In other words, the more you hate on Quaquaval, the more I'm going to like this ninth generation starter.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think part of it is people expected Quaxly to evolve into some sailor/navy inspired Pokémon based on its hat.

I also appreciate Quaquaval because the other 2 starters are kind of stiff (in fact, most of the starters are besides Incineroar and Infernape) so I like that it looks like it's enjoying the battle. But I love all the starters and generally most Pokémon and being somewhat anthro/humanoid is a silly reason to dislike one imo. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though ofc.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Its evolved form is fine. It goes from being a little duck to being Sgt. Joe from Suikoden III, to being a member of Sylvando's troupe from Dragon Quest XI. Honestly, how can you beat that?

vondecayle

I think part of it is people expected Quaxly to evolve into some sailor/navy inspired Pokémon based on its hat.

I also appreciate Quaquaval because the other 2 starters are kind of stiff (in fact, most of the starters are besides Incineroar and Infernape) so I like that it looks like it's enjoying the battle. But I love all the starters and generally most Pokémon and being somewhat anthro/humanoid is a silly reason to dislike one imo. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though ofc.
To be honest I wasn’t expecting anything nor did I have any ideas of what they where going to do with the Quaxly line. I was more interested in Sprigatito and Fuecoco the whole time.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Also, do you know that my favourite starter is Meganium and the more people dislike on it the more I love it? In other words, the more you hate on Quaquaval, the more I'm going to like this ninth generation starter.
I love Meganium too! :D It was my favorite back when Colosseum was 'the thing' at the time (Man, I feel old...). Something about the underdogs getting hated makes me like them in retaliation sometimes. Like sure, most of it is genuine, but other times it's a little spite love lol
Sorta same with Quaquaval in that regard.

Copley Hill Gym

All the starters have grown on me, now I have one of each of their lines. I actually think they're some of the strongest designed starters in a few gens. I liked Galar's set, but they more than any felt more humanoid - understandably so when you realise what their design influences are.

I do think we are owed more quadrupeds, though. Skeledirge has been a great example of that and may we have a few more in that vein in future generations.

What I would like though is to not have another cat/croc/bird/turtle choice. Go for something new. We haven't had a dog starter Pokemon as yet (Fennekin is a fox people. Not a dog. Vulpes vulpes). I think an elephant starter would be amazing, though we have now had two Paradox Elephant based Pokemon and an elephant in Gen 8 plus Gen 2's. So many potential new starter Pokemon, and we need something different.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Chespin gang: First time?

Quaquaval is cool.

Not going to lie, I pick Quaxly because of the Quaquaval being water/fighting. Were it not the case, I'd probably have gone with Sprigatito instead

But as pokémon it's not that bad. I'd say it's quite strong having Moxie as a HA and a move that's pretty much Speed Boost as an attack. And it has access to a physical ice type move that destroys terrain.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
What I would like though is to not have another cat/croc/bird/turtle choice. Go for something new. We haven't had a dog starter Pokemon as yet (Fennekin is a fox people. Not a dog. Vulpes vulpes). I think an elephant starter would be amazing, though we have now had two Paradox Elephant based Pokemon and an elephant in Gen 8 plus Gen 2's. So many potential new starter Pokemon, and we need something different.
I want a Hyena starter! And no Mightyena/Poochyena type looking dude where we can't tell if it's a striped hyena or wolf either (Yes even with the same people call it a wolf because, idk, it howls ig?), a HYENA looking hyena Pokemon that can't be mistaken as anything else, laughter described in Pokedex and all. I want my spotty yena starter, they're my favorite african animal ever and I want proper rep of them in the games. :U
Actually, gimme Aardwolf rep too, hyena family, less represented anywhere at all. They're cute af and I feel like they'd adapt good to a Pokemon Art Style.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I want a Hyena starter! And no Mightyena/Poochyena type looking dude where we can't tell if it's a striped hyena or wolf either (Yes even with the same people call it a wolf because, idk, it howls ig?), a HYENA looking hyena Pokemon that can't be mistaken as anything else, laughter described in Pokedex and all. I want my spotty yena starter, they're my favorite african animal ever and I want proper rep of them in the games. :U
Actually, gimme Aardwolf rep too, hyena family, less represented anywhere at all. They're cute af and I feel like they'd adapt good to a Pokemon Art Style.
Mighyena is a hyena, just the lesser-known Brown Hyena over the more popularized and well known Spotted species (Striped is actually a different species as well).

And honestly, anything remotely canine looking usually gets called a wolf or dog at one point so that's not a point against Mighyena.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Mighyena is a hyena, just the lesser-known Brown Hyena over the more popularized and well known Spotted species (Striped is actually a different species as well).

And honestly, anything remotely canine looking usually gets called a wolf or dog at one point so that's not a point against Mighyena.
IK Mightyena is a hyena, or supposed to be, but like, I want a hyena looking pokemon that looks more like one and can't be mistaken for something else (Mightyena's shiny looks more of a brown hyena due to the color but that's a rare instance of getting one, it don't even got a sloped back like hyenas do, hence the more canine stature). Not in a "it's just a hyena" sort of way like Dewgond and Ratata, but would be a start.

Preferably not called a wolf or dog, as that's different from looking canid like Hyenas do look, looking like it doesn't make one that. Maybe it's just the hyena fanatic in me but I'd be annoyed as hell seeing a hyena pokemon called a wolf or dog and trying to lump them into that.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
IK Mightyena is a hyena, or supposed to be, but like, I want a hyena looking pokemon that looks more like one and can't be mistaken for something else (Mightyena's shiny looks more of a brown hyena due to the color but that's a rare instance of getting one, it don't even got a sloped back like hyenas do, hence the more canine stature). Not in a "it's just a hyena" sort of way like Dewgond and Ratata, but would be a start.

Preferably not called a wolf or dog, as that's different from looking canid like Hyenas do look, looking like it doesn't make one that. Maybe it's just the hyena fanatic in me but I'd be annoyed as hell seeing a hyena pokemon called a wolf or dog and trying to lump them into that.
I mean, that's Pokemon for you. Generally, you don't ever get a 1:1 interpretation of the original animal, even cases like Ratata and Dewgong still have little flourishes that make them stand out from their original counterparts. For what it is, Mightyena is actually a pretty close interpretation of a Brown Hyena as it has all of its notable traits like the bald stripe down the back, the fur going past the body like a longcoat, and the exposed legs. It having a different stance and color scheme doesn't really change that, especially the latter since as you said the shiny has a brown color scheme anyway if you want that.

And again, it and other such designs being mistaken for a dog or wolf is a misconception that happens with multiple Pokemon, other monster franchises, and even in real life regardless of how close they look to actual canines. Hyenas themselves get mistaken for canines despite not being related to them at all since as you said they look similar to them, so I don't think that's something that can ever be avoided even if Mightyena or a future Hyena Pokemon was 1:1 with one.

Last edited: