• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

We Need a Restricted Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magcargo

Intellectualist
I'm sick and tired of idiotic topics and posts that we have to continually endure in the Debate Forums. Examples:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=96013
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=95882
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=94893
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=95543

We need to create a forum where a person can post only after passing some kind of post showing that they are not a dumbass. In the forum any stupid topics and posts would be automatically deleted. Otherwise we will continue to have serious discussions flooded by dumbass remarks and topics.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
Second'd. The debate should be about intelligent discussion. :/

Skrusti

Thirded. I hate debating with idiots who can't tell their neck from their...well...leave it at that >.< I thought debates were supposed to be purely intellectual, but when we have topics like "Should Ant-killing be illeagal?"...it just ruins the purpose =/

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I agree, that Cannbilsm thread seems pretty stupid, Maverick really getting pwned in the Gay sterotyped one by all of the debaters. The ant killing one was really stupid, and there was one or two more. So yeah we do need good debaters, I don't, know if I would classifeld me as a good debater, you would have to ask someone else but there are others who are good debaters.

O

Orgasmo

I'd like no debates about religion. Seeing as no-one will be persuaded either way makes the whole point redundant :/

Yes, for intelligent debates section.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Well, I go to the debate forum sometimes, and rarely post, and really never check any rebuttals that are directed at me. (if there are any. >>; )
But yes, it tires me to no end to see such idiotic threads that really have no point. >>; It certainly tires me to see all of these that are directed at the Christian Religion that have no foothold on either side, and that are just duplicates of the many religious debate threads. But it seems as though it would be near impossible. There are many who qualify, but who's to tell? It would be too time consuming to test each forum member's brain cell capacity.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I rarely go into the Debate forum, but when I do, almost all the debates are stupid, or pretty much the same thing with a different title. It could be made that there is one thread stickied at the top of Misc. discussion, and you post there if you want to be allowed in, and the mods decide if you're intelligent enough to be let in. Of course, that could be pretty time-consuming, but IMO, it's worth it to get less unintelligent, repetitive debates.

Eszett

one love
I would severely enjoy it should such a proposition be manifested into reality. How I dream to see a Debate board not cluttered with pages of gay topics and unabashed idiots.

Chris

Old Coot
Password protected would be nice. But you know some jackass is obviously going to leak it out. :|

Perhaps there would be some kind of list of people that the mods of Misc. Discussion feel are fine and should be allowed to enter a protected Debate section.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
As Chris said, the password system is indeed flawed. And it would be pointless to change it everyday, as that would take...>>; bulk PMing. But, nonetheless, that would get tiring. Perhaps set up another member group, with the exact same features as members, but have a slightly different permission mask? But, ofcourse, that would pile most of the work on Joe. Perhaps it's just best for now.

O

Orgasmo

Locke Yggdrasill said:
Perhaps set up another member group, with the exact same features as members, but have a slightly different permission mask? But, ofcourse, that would pile most of the work on Joe. Perhaps it's just best for now.
What kinda like A.N.A.Ls Member + thing?

Chris

Old Coot
Wait. Don't we have some kinda thing with Fizzy Bubbles where people can't post unless they activate some sort of thing on their profiles? o_O Something similar to that would possibly work.

O

Orgasmo

Edward Elric said:
Wait. Don't we have some kinda thing with Fizzy Bubbles where people can't post unless they activate some sort of thing on their profiles? o_O Something similar to that would possibly work.
Fizzy Bubbles? The hell.

Eszett

one love
The only negative thing I could see resulting from this is people accusing Serebii of displaying favoritism towards certain people, then clamoring that they ought to be granted access to it as members of the site, forcing Serebii having to open it up to them/abolish the board due to complaints from parents. Hopefully that won't have to happen.

Anyways, I don't see the benefit password protection would give to this board. The user permissions to see the board could simply be granted on a per-user basis or a group could be formed.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Well, it would make sense if Joe made the quiz, seeing as he is the head administrator of the forum. He may not have a PhD, but how can anyone with intelligence argue with him making it? And it's most likely people who will not make it who would argue, anyway. But you still hold a point, Latios.

Eszett

one love
I would like for the test to be about debate protocol since I gather that most of the idiots in the Debate forum are the ones who aren't even properly debating. A pool of 40-50 questions should be devised, from which 10 would be randomly selected per test. Those who get at least a 7/10 on the test should be granted access to the secret debate forum, and a person should be allowed to re-take the test two times (with new questions selected). The test questions should be compiled by the mods of the Debate forum and anybody else they deem fit to compose said questions.

How about there is a thing where someone has to be on SPPf for about 4/5/6 months and post 1000 (Or lower.) post to get on a certain part of a forum, like the Debate Forums? (Though Eszett's idea is a good idea too.) This will allow time for someone to be a good and active member on SPPf and it will allow them to mature a bit. *shrugs* It has worked for other forums I go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.