• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

We Need a Restricted Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
post 1000? >>; I'd have to put a big fat "rejected" on that. lol
It would have to be more like 500-800 or something like that. I'm not even sure that I'm to 1,000 yet. I like the quiz idea better, I'm sorry to say. or, what about some type of validation?

Locke Yggdrasill said:
post 1000? >>; I'd have to put a big fat "rejected" on that. lol
It would have to be more like 500-800 or something like that. I'm not even sure that I'm to 1,000 yet. I like the quiz idea better, I'm sorry to say. or, what about some type of validation?
1000 post isn't a lot, at least where I come from....which is the Zelda Universe Forums. LOL! But I think it would be easier for it to be like that because members would PM mods constantlly to take a quiz to get into the restricted forums.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
You bring up a good point. Even if we were to make an announcement about the quiz, sticky it, and all of the like, members of the staff would constantly be hassled by new members who want to prove their maturity. We already have enough things that new members are asking about, and we certainly don't need anymore. Anyone got any ideas?

tamayo

KARP KARP KARP
That's a really good idea: Quiz them, but do not use the Post 1000 idea. They should get two chances to take it, then (If they pass above 80% or something) they can access the certain parts of the forum. However, if they were to fail, we would stamp Stupid n00b on their foreheads. I definitely agree with you mostly Eszett.

Oh, one more thing: the quiz should also test their ability to type complete words/ sentences.

Tamayo

Last edited:

Eszett

one love
Can't we set up some automated system under the guise of an account here? Someone could simply message it, get a reply with the randomly selected test questions, answer the quiz, then send it back to the bot, who would automatically send it to an answer repository which mods could check and review them and establish appropriate permissions when necessary. Forgive me if I'm thinking too wishfully here, but I just don't believe such a system would be very hard to implement (it needn't be implemented on the site, even, if that's too difficult to code).

PDL

disenchanted
how about just PMing someone permission to access the restricted forum

it worked well for another fourm I go to (though the restricted forum in question was a mature forum, where 18+ stuff was posted, and it was alot smaller then this one)

the problems I see with this is because of the number of people on the fourm, the person who will grant access would be swamped with PMs asking for access.

if someone does get premission to the restricted forum and acts like an idiot, they get lose their restricted forum access... or get banned...

Last edited:

Eszett

one love
I mentioned earlier that the questions should be compiled by the mods of the Debate forum (or the planned mods of the new Debate forum, which I imagine wouldn't be too different from the mods of the current forum). I would like to see the questions handle themselves about debate protocol (e.g. clarifying the distinctions between implicit atheism and explicit atheism, asking about logical fallacies, that sort of thing). PsiUmbreon does take a debate class, by the way; he should be able to confer about these things (forgive me, I'm not trying to put you on the spotlight, Psi, should you be reading this).

Also, in the database of questions, the general concepts for what answers are acceptable should be included along with the question.

C

Carpetted!

Funny, I like interesting debates, not those cliche "why does god exist"/ "what's wrong with being gay" debates. You hardly have to think about things before replying, "there's no evidence" or "Nothing, it's a stereotype". The bad thing about original debate topics is that they're always flamed by weird people =/
EDIT: the topics you mention had these many posts:
That's a good amount of posts! Seems these 'idiotic topis' are just ones you come in with a narrow mind on.

Last edited by a moderator:
post count =/= quality of thread.

a spam thread could get over 40 replies/few pages if there are no mods on and people are being stupid. does that make it worthy of staying open?

C

Carpetted!

Well, no, but Macgargo is being remarkably prejudiced, as usual. He has a need to classify everything, and I think us idiots have every right to post in debate forums as long as we don't spam or anything. Besides, a restricted part of the forum is just another way to seperate us and to make whoever gets in feel like he/she's better. Not to mention mods who delete stupid topics and posts can be wrong sometimes.

PsiUmbreon

I think we could use an organized debate forum. As fun as debating is, it'd be fun if there were judges and organization in the debate.

D

Dat Banned Guy

Its a debate forum so there's no need for stupid posts in it - better than restrictions on posting, I think an idea would be to enforce stricter punishments for those that infringe upon the rules.

C

Carpetted!

Why have stricter punishments? No one will post in the new debate forums if we just punish the harsher! I like the idea of organized debate a lot, though.

Slypher

I have a suggestion, instead of that post count (PC=/=Intelligence), how about every person have only 5-10 post and are then review to see if the post were intelligent, good grammer, and just common sence that makes him/her valid to go into the debate forum (even if the poster may have opnions you may strongly disagree.) All people who just show horrible post shall be restricted from the debate forum, thus filtering out the stupid.

It's the best I could come up with, I seen this on another forum, so it may work here.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
Rather than restricting people who go into the debate off the bat, would it be possible to somehow prevent them from coming in if they've already made bad posts there? Kind of like a ban, just not forum-wide.

I think there should be much stricter rules in the Debate Forum, but I don't think it's really necessary to have a sectioned-off area only people who have passed a test can go to. It has too much potential to be abused.
I do think that hate speech in the Debate forum should be punished with banning. The only good test you could do would not be a test, but a questionnaire and grammar check. This survey thingy would weed out the racists, Nazis, xenophobes, homophobes, and people like Floored. Guh!

Status
Not open for further replies.