• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

We Start at Zero! Clemont's Decision!! (940)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't care for the medal ceremony itself because we didn't get the AZ battle.

I'm glad that the ceremony didn't end up like in the games tho. AZ wasn't involved in the anime any ways, so it was just nice to see Ash's friends get some recognition for saving the city with no interruption. The fireworks scene itself was really cool.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The whole region has acted as if Ash was a celebrity/the son of Arceus since the second XY episode though. I didn't care for the medal ceremony itself because we didn't get the AZ battle.

Ash suicidally jumped off a tower and was broadcasted across the region that a lucky few saw. That commends heroism! Just like that time he dive bombed into a volcano!

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh...

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review:

A very late Mal's Review. But still delivered.

Pros:

* "Zettai Akiramenai!" Based OP is based

* Intraseries continuity +1 for the kid recognizing Ash as a finalist...but not the bloke who helped save Kalos?

* Props to James for pointing out they had no chance against the two Kalos League finalists

Cons:

* Y'know that compelling Clembot sacrifice during the Flare arc...well guess what, three episodes later, it's already back!

* Umm...so why wasn't there a father/son talk about Clemont gaining courage and his dad being secretly Batman?

Thoughts:

* Why is Clembot battling anyway? Isn't Clemont back to being the gym leader?

* Hey, I happen to have an entire box of cheap participation medals I ordered from Amazon - thanks for saving Kalos y'all!

Very "meh."

3/10

DS0308

<--- Actually me
How dare Team Rocket make a joke out of Sycamore's "MARVELLOUS" saying, unbelievable. Although I don't see why they couldn't be content with... well, lying about Team Flare to Giovanni.

I could swear that was Sleep Powder but the dub says it's Stun Spore. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect Magnemite then, plus he looked more sleepy than he did paralysed? Can't remember what the subs said because it's been a while, not that it matters anyway.

As Maldread said above, it's quite meh.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I have no idea why people are trying to act like Clembot comming back cheapens anything when it's literally a new character with Clembot's skin but ok

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I have no idea why people are trying to act like Clembot comming back cheapens anything when it's literally a new character with Clembot's skin but ok

It cheapens the fact he "sacrificed" himself, but in the end, he had an extremely flat personality that makes anything happen to him so forced.

It feels like plucking a leaf from a tree. A new one will regrow back, but...is there any point we had to watch that happen?

Soniman

Break the Limit
It cheapens the fact he "sacrificed" himself, but in the end, he had an extremely flat personality that makes anything happen to him so forced.

It feels like plucking a leaf from a tree. A new one will regrow back, but...is there any point we had to watch that happen?

As far as I'm concerned if he wasn't given a major role at some point there would've been complaints of him being a waste so as usual dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

And again it doesn't cheapen anything, Clemont essentially built a new robot and the first Clembot's death is still permanent and nothing about it was changed, they literally make a point to show the first Clembot's influence on a young trainer and how the new robot has to meet those expectations again

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
As far as I'm concerned if he wasn't given a major role at some point there would've been complaints of him being a waste so as usual dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

And again it doesn't cheapen anything, Clemont essentially built a new robot and the first Clembot's death is still permanent and nothing about it was changed, they literally make a point to show the first Clembot's influence on a young trainer and how the new robot has to meet those expectations again

Regardless of that, Clembot was essentially very expendable and the only one allowed to, uh, die during the chaos, because Clemont was just going to build another one anyway. Any other person not named Lysandre(?) was not expendable.

Doesn't help Clemont ever thought about researching this funny thing called "backup drives". Seriously. That's even worse and detracts from...both of them, actually. How did Clemont even not ponder, in his own words..."I knew I had to prepare for a situation like this, so I [insert idea here]!"

Soniman

Break the Limit
Regardless of that, Clembot was essentially very expendable and the only one allowed to, uh, die during the chaos, because Clemont was just going to build another one anyway. Any other person not named Lysandre(?) was not expendable.

Doesn't help Clemont ever thought about researching this funny thing called "backup drives". Seriously. That's even worse and detracts from...both of them, actually. How did Clemont even not ponder, in his own words..."I knew I had to prepare for a situation like this, so I [insert idea here]!"

Err, because the whole system was fried? Iirc the damage wasn't localized to one computer or something it was Clemont's entire network so I could believe he wouldn't be able to salvage it, and I doubt something as complex as AI would be able to fit on a flash drive lol

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Err, because the whole system was fried? Iirc the damage wasn't localized to one computer or something it was Clemont's entire network so I could believe he wouldn't be able to salvage it, and I doubt something as complex as AI would be able to fit on a flash drive lol

That's why external hard drives of 10TB exist. And I doubt he doesn't have one that goes up to 10,000TB.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I thought this was a great episode.

Any appearance by the shadowy boss of Team Rocket is a near automatic win.
Magneton got to win a battle, normally they just wind up as fodder.
The gym challenge was surprisingly interesting and I give it an extra thumbs up for the Cubone.
Alain has returned from the dark side and gets a homecoming party. I would not mind if he reappeared at some point in the future.

Ash is already making plans to continue with self improvement. He said so in a very Ash way, I guess that he is kind of a good role model.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like how it's implied Alain went away for days but they never explicitly said why that is. There isn't even an explanation why he has no Mega Ring or his Charizard's royal necklace anymore. They just vanished!

Which in other words I don't like it.

Ash: I don't know much about what happened...

Dear goodness. That's explains a HELL lot.

Janovy

Banned
They probably felt it would be too dark to actually say Alain was taken in for questioning by police???

No idea.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode, but there really isn't much to say overall. Clembot is just starting anew, and Mairin tries to cheer up Alain by throwing him a party. And Ash offering to battle Alain again, even though he lost the first time.

Pikachu52

One of the better episodes of the series this was not.

It's extremely uneventful. That's kind of to be expected of an end of series wrap up episode. We've had five epsiodes of pure action now we get the aftermath. Lumiose City being restored and the Lumiose Gym being rebuilt. And there's a new Clembot - so much for heroic sacrifice. The moral of the story here seems to be back up your data. The most eventful thing is Team Rocket stealing Pikachu again.

What really drags this epsiode down is these things. First of all, where exactly did Alain go? Secondly, it never ceases to amaze me just how easily Alain's been pardoned. His recklessness, ego and stupidity nearly got everyone killed and our heroes are throwing him a surprise party - when at best he's been gone a few days. Third, I know this is Pokémon where kids can wander the world freely and fight dangerous criminal gangs but for goodness sake, when is a responsible adult going to confront Mairin and her borderline infatuation with Alain and tell her that perhaps continuing a friendship with a would-be Team Flare grunt who coldly pushed her away is ill-advised. Forth - Ash are you really starting from scratch again. It's starting to get a bit cruel the way you journey with Pokémon then dump them at Oaks after they fail to win you a league. Has it not occured to him that rotating his already strong Pokémon and using his powerhouses in key battles might get him better results. There's no need to start from scratch other than as a poor excuse for the writers love of soft resets. Ash has a solid foundation as a trainer, he should build on that.

But the worst of it was when Ash and Alain spoke alone in the greenhouse. Alain at least acknowledges that his actions nearly destroyed the world and Ash's response is, "I don't know about that but I really enjoyed battling with you." He segwayed from "I'm sorry for being a terrorist" to Pokémon battling. Seriously is that all this kid ever thinks about. Even after everything he's been through in the last I suppose about 24-48hrs, after everything he's learnt about Alain the only thing he wants to talk about is battling. That dialogue was so poor it was cringe worthy.

That logic would apply if Luxray had died and Clemont had adopted a new Shinx. Even though Shinx would evolve to Luxray and presumably learn the same moves it wouldn't be the same soul. Clembot is a robot without either a soul or a personality therefore the fact the new robot looks and sounds exactly like the old Clembot and the fact that presumably after a while it will be doing exactly the same things as Clembot did, namely controlling Clemont's Pokémon (though I don't see why he'd need that now he's not going to be travelling with Ash anymore) then for all intents and purposes it will become Clembot back from the dead.

It's also a sign of Clemont more or less shrugging off the fact that Clembot "died." He was sad for a brief moment in "Rocking Kalos defences" but now seems sadly disappointed rather than grief stricken at the fact he can't restore the memory. That's a world of difference from the reaction characters have given when either a person or a Pokémon has died, appeared to die or left the series - Pikachu crying over stone Ash, Ash shouting "Pikachu come back," when Pikachu turned to stone, Ash sobbing into Goodra's shoulder when they parted ways. That seems to highlight the fact Clembot wasn't much more than an invention Clemont was attached to rather than a friend or a sentient being.

There were so many characters they could have used for a dramatic death scene or heroic sacrifice, even if they chose to bring them back later and they chose the Robot.

Last edited:

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
This was always going to be hard episode to follow the last but I actually liked it very much.

I was expecting the episode just to move on like nothing had happened but it was great to see the 'aftermath'. I thought it was quite sad when Clemont was hoping to restore Clembot's memory but alas it was to no avail however, Clemont still has his memories in his heart and so will continue on showing his 'new' Clembot the ways of the old. The gym battle was pretty good too and I hope we see Alvin again in the future (but we probably won't).

I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering 'where has Alain been' but it was nice to have a party and the portrait will be a memory of the series.

Nice episode, onto the next one!

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Well, this one was a more relaxing episode, but it makes sense since they had such a full arc and then what you would call the League, so they have a break, the young trainer wasn't anything interesting but his Pokemon weren't too bad, hey Clemont least you didn't lose a real person, like your father or sister in the Arc, (If this was a little higher rated show, one of them would have died), Clembot you can just rebuild, must be a little sad to have it with no memories though.
Alain was okay, I do find it strange his Pokemon wasn't present, but maybe it's just they didn't fight against Team Flare, or most of them wouldn't fit on the photo, who knows he isn't exactly Ash, so he may just think Charizard was the most important one who got him through.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Well, this one was a more relaxing episode, but it makes sense since they had such a full arc and then what you would call the League, so they have a break, the young trainer wasn't anything interesting but his Pokemon weren't too bad, hey Clemont least you didn't lose a real person, like your father or sister in the Arc, (If this was a little higher rated show, one of them would have died), Clembot you can just rebuild, must be a little sad to have it with no memories though.
Alain was okay, I do find it strange his Pokemon wasn't present, but maybe it's just they didn't fight against Team Flare, or most of them wouldn't fit on the photo, who knows he isn't exactly Ash, so he may just think Charizard was the most important one who got him through.

Clembot with no memories basically means he's a clone rather than the original, so the original Clembot truly is no more. With the amount of intelligence and level off sapience they gave him, he is essentially killed off for real.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not too bad of a relief from the Team Flare arc but the Gym battle didn't feel quite intense anyway for relief reasons. At least the kid won the Voltage Badge and Alain reuniting with Sycamore and working with him once again. It was nice to see everyone get a medal and the announcement of the reopening of the Prism Tower and the Lumiose Gym at the end.