• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

We Werent Born to Follow - RBY OU RMT

Hello I am Eliteknight, It has been a long time since I have posted a Rate My Team but I have decided it is time for me to post one again. My personal Favourite metagame is RBY OU and as such I have decided to post one of my successful RBY OU teams. 5 out of 6 pokemon on this team are in tier 0 speed in RBY resulting in over 20% Critical hit chances from them.

051.png

Dugtrio (M) @ (No Item)
- Earthquake
- Slash
- Rock Slide
- Mimic

Dugtrio is my lead, Dugtrio is one of the fastest pokemon in the RBY OU metagame, it has a 99.6% chance to land a critical hit with its slash attack. And a 23.4% Chance to land a crit with any other move I have on the set. Slash is a powerful choice from any speedy mon. Earthquake is a deadly stab which inflicts massive damage. Rock slide is to deal with dragonite. Mimic is used instead of substitute due to mimic being in my opinion more useful in RBY. Mimic copies any move that the opponent has not the most recent move used. This can result in some upsets such as sleep powder dugtrio.

This one goes out to the man who mines for miracles
This one goes out to the ones in need
This one goes out to the sinner and the cynical
This ain't about no apology
This road was paved by the hopeless and the hungry
This road was paved by the winds of change
Walking beside the guilty and the innocent
How will you raise your hand when they call your name?
Yeah, yeah, yeah

exeggutor.png

Exeggutor (M) @ (No Item)
- Sleep Powder
- Mega Drain
- Psychic
- Explosion

Exeggutor, one of the most prominent pokemon in RBY OU, Having two very useful stabs along with access to sleep powder and stun spore. I have opted to use explosion due to the sheer power instead of stun spore due to having many pokemon capable of inflicting paralysis. Sleep Powder is one of the most useful moves in RBY due to the power of the broken sleep status. Mega Drain is the only effective way for exeggutor to heal itself due to no giga drain in RBY. Psychic is a primary stab due to the powerful coverage of Psychic types in RBY. Explosion is to take an opponent down with Exeggutor due to the explosion mechanics of gen 1 being broken.

We weren't born to follow
Come on and get up off your knees
When life is a bitter pill to swallow
You gotta hold on to what you believe
Believe that the sun will shine tomorrow
And that your saints and sinners bleed
You gotta stand up for what you believe
Let me hear you say yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah

Alakazam(RB)Sprite.png

Alakazam (M) @ (No Item)
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Psychic
- Recover

Alakazam, the most powerful special sweeper in the entire RBY metagame. Having the most powerful special stab in the game. Thunder wave is to slow down the opponents. Seismic toss is to end weaker opponents so I don't waste PP of psychic. Psychic is one of the most deadly moves in RBY. having a chance to decrease the opponents special. Recover is for surviving. Alakazam also can use reflect to boost its physical defence I have used this but for this team I prefer seismic toss.

This one's about anyone who does it differently
This one's about the one who cusses and spits
This ain't about our livin' in a fantasy
This ain't about givin' up or givin' in
Yeah, yeah, yeah

053.png

Persian (M) @ (No Item)
- Slash
- Thunderbolt
- BubbleBeam
- Hyper beam

Persian, my most common lead however for this team I have opted to use dugtrio as the lead instead due to Persians brute force in RBY. Slash stab and 99.6% of the time landing crits is nothing to scoff at. As such it 3HKOs the entire metagame which doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is to deal with cloysters and has a decent para chance. Bubble beam is for rhydon and golem whom wall the rest of Persians movepool. Hyper beam is to finish off a weakened opponent and not to waste a slash.

RedBlueGengar.png

Gengar (M) @ (No Item)
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Gengar is one of the fastest pokemon in RBY. Being the fastest sleep inducer it has made its way onto this team. Explosion is for a final attack. Thunderbolt is primary attack which deals decent damage overall. Hypnosis is to inflict sleep. Dream eater is rarely used but mega drain sucks ***. only dealing about 30% to Dugtrio which it is SE against. Gengar is a great asset as I can switch it in on the predicted explosions.

128.png

Tauros (M) @ (No Item)
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard
- Body Slam

Tauros the most common physical powerhouse in RBY. Earthquake is used to deal with fire types which are rarely seen but may aswell have something for them. Hyper beam is to end weakened pokemon which body slam will not be able to handle. Blizzard is for grass and ground types along with Dragonite. Body slam is primary stab and attacking move having a 30% chance of inflicting paralysis. Tauros speed ties with gengar and is only outsped by 7 pokemon in OU. Having a massive speed stat and great mixed stat allows Tauros to easily deal with most of the OU metagame.

We weren't born to follow - oh yeah
We weren't born to follow - oh yeah

Snorby

Snorby
Your team doesnt really have anything that deals with Zapdos very well. Therefore, i suggest swapping out Exeggutor for Golem, which walls Zapdos and can Explode. Golem covers Explosion, gengar is a sleep inducer and packs Mega Drain, and Alazkazam hits with Pschic STAB, so eggs really have no niche on this team

Your team doesnt really have anything that deals with Zapdos very well. Therefore, i suggest swapping out Exeggutor for Golem, which walls Zapdos and can Explode. Golem covers Explosion, gengar is a sleep inducer and packs Mega Drain, and Alazkazam hits with Pschic STAB, so eggs really have no niche on this team

1) Zaptos I find to be of little issue, Between tauros and dugtrio it can deal SE damage and Persian Kos faster than zap does.
2) Golem is very lackluster from experience Blizzard is on nearly every RBY team and therefore is easily decimated
3) Exeggutor is my primary sleep inducer, due to the power of psychic I feel that just alakazam would be not nearly as effective.
4) Mega drain gengar is bad.

I'm not an expert in RBY by any means, but I do have a good bit of experience, so here's what little advice I can give.

I really wouldn't lead with Dugtrio. It doesn't really do that well against common opposing leads at all. All you really beat with ease is Gengar. Alakazam with Reflect straight up beats you, although lead Alakazam does tend to carry Seismic Toss instead. Even in those cases, Earthquake is not a guaranteed 2HKO while Alakazam's Psychic is, and you still have to deal with speed ties. That aside, Dugtrio matches up downright awfully against other common leads. You can't break 60% against Jynx without a crit while it easily OHKOs with Blizzard, so you lose outright unless you get lucky. Exeggutor just laughs at everything you do, as does Starmie. You'd be far better off leading with Alakazam. It's arguably the best sleep absorber in the game since it switches so easily into stuff like Chansey, Starmie, and opposing Alakazam and thus has a great chance of waking up before it dies. It also has a fast Recover, which is great for healing up before the opponent can finish it off with chip damage (which a lot of people try to do to a sleeping Alakazam). You're also already running Seismic Toss, which is useful for opposing Exeggutor leads. Alakazam is also a fantastic answer to lead Gengar, which is pretty popular.

I agree with Mean Mr. Snorlax that Zapdos looks kinda bad. On the one hand, you probably won't be outright swept by it since nearly everything on your team outspeeds it and does at least decent damage. On the other hand, it has a decent chance of beating most of your team 1-on-1, and some of the things that it can't beat can be easily crippled by Thunder Wave (i.e. Tauros will probably beat it 1-on-1, but a paralyzed Tauros is a very bad thing). Even if it doesn't sweep, you're likely to lose one or more Pokemon and possibly have something else crippled by paralysis before you bring it down. Honestly, unless Dugtrio is serving any particular purpose besides "gotta go fast," I don't see any reason not to replace it with Rhydon or Golem just to be on the safe side. I honestly prefer Rhydon since its STAB Earthquake is just so strong, and getting a free Substitute on opposing Zapdos can put you in a great position for some major damage provided the opponent's Exeggutor is down.

Dream Eater on Gengar looks pretty terrible. Two of the best sleep absorbers in the game, Alakazam and Starmie, take crap damage from Dream Eater. Alakazam in particular is a common switch-in since it's a hard stop to everything Gengar carries bar Explosion. You'd be far better hitting Starmie with Thunderbolt and blowing up on Alakazam. Exeggutor and Chansey, another couple of good and common counters to Gengar, are also unfazed by Dream Eater. Honesty, I don't know what you're actually hitting with that. Mega Drain is pretty situational, but at least it's a lot more useful than Dream Eater. Specifically, it 2HKOs Rhydon and Golem, which all of your other moves fail to do. As is now, Rhydon and Golem can switch into your Gengar with incredible ease once something else has taken the sleep and threaten with an Earthquake OHKO (or you might give Rhydon a free Substitute, which is a very bad thing). Mega Drain lets you 2HKO either of these on the switch and restore pretty much all of your health. Being able to pick off a Cloyster at ~25% health or something and get a little health back is also useful from time to time. Even Seismic Toss would be more useful since you can 3HKO an Exeggutor switch-in that has already fallen to ~75% health while surviving the Psychic, or even bring it into Explosion range with two Seismic Tosses if it's at full health and you really want it gone.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt a little weird about teams that are only using one of the holy trio of Normal-types (Tauros, Snorlax, and Chansey), but I guess there's nothing particularly wrong with it. At least Persian is a pretty neat late-game sweeper that cleans up pretty nice once Tauros is done doing its dirty work.

Well, that's about all I can think of, so good luck with your team and stuff.

Last edited: