1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Weakest Perceived Pokemon Teams in Gen 1

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by GreenMatius, Nov 27, 2018.

1. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

Hi. First of, thanks for reading.
    Anyway, I am trying to form the weakest "perceived" balance team for my reattempt in the Generation 1 Pokemon game, specifically Pokemon Blue.

For the curious, I want to do Pokemon Blue as I find types and stats has huge limitations in the first Pokemon game series while the later series, while getting harder due to variety in key trainers, the many movesets also make it somewhat easier in balancing and coverage. That being said, once I complete Pokemon Blue, i plan to move on to Gen 2 and so on and so forth.

What I need your help is to help me decide what is the weakest "perceived" team. Despite it being weakest, I want it to be as balance as it can be as my goal is to try to beat the game using the weak Pokemons (even at their final evolution). As such my criteria for the team has to consist:

1. The weakest starter Pokemon
    2. The weakest Fly-able Pokemon
    3. The weakest Surf-able Pokemon
    4. The weakest Electric/Fire/Psychic/Fighting type - perceived attacking type
    5. The weakest Rock/Ground/Ghost/Ice type - perceived tanking type
    6. A weak Pokemon that do not have any same type as the 5 selected before it.

After going through the Gen 1 Pokemon, I have come up with the team (all in their final evolution)
    Venusaur (Grass/Poison),
    Farfetch'd (Normal/Flying),
    Seaking (Water),
    Electrode (Electric),
    Onix (Rock/Ground),
    Mr.Mime (Psychic) - no Fairy since this is Gen 1.

Would like you opinion on this or recommend even weaker Pokemon that you think would suitable but still fits the criteria (especially my 6th Pokemon)

Hope to hear some comments :)

2. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

I'm honestly not sure if this thread is the place for this but what do you mean by perceived? Do you mean by looks and reputation or by the actual stats and game limitations because Venusaur is actually considered one of the most dangerous grass-types of the Gen 1 meta, being outclassed only by Exeggutor and has only gotten better and better throughout the generations becoming consistently one of the best starter evolutions out of any generation. In fact I believe the weakest starter of Gen 1 is actually Blastoise because of it's extremely limited movepool and it's average offensive stats.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

Perceived can be in anyway possible (stats and movepool) but that does not mean I want to run the game with just Magikarps if you know what I mean. Also, the team is specifically for Gen 1 games. So any future moves will not be in the equation.

That being, I'm surprised you nominated Blastoise as from wherever I search, Blastoise is usually the middle child of the three starters. The perceived weakest is usually Venusaur (poorest stats) and Charizard (poorest type in Gen 1 games). I opt for Venusaur even though he is the best during early game, I think stats and movepool wise, he is pretty weak in late game

4. shoz999

No he isn't. Blastoise is well-known by the competitive community as the worst of the three starters with Venusaur being at the top and Charizard in the middle, even today that holds true to an extant.

Venusaur is an absolute monster being one of the few viable grass-types in Gen 1 able to tank hits while dish out serious damage back. Venusaur's most popular moves back in Gen 1 was Razor Leaf which back than, critical hits were all about speed and Venusaur had enough speed for a high-critical rate becoming an absolutely dangerous threat to many water, ground and rock types. Also Venusaur had access to one of the best stat-raising moves at the time, Swords Dance which increased his okay attack twicefold. There's another reason why people choose Venusaur over Exeggutor and that has to do with speed. Although Venusaur isn't fast, Venusaur is faster than Exeggutor and through Sleep Powder, is able to counter threads that could percieve as threat to him. This was especially useful against Slowbro, a common wall at the time. Compared this to Blastoise, Blastoise doesn't actually have much to go with due to average stats and a very limited movepool at the time and Gen 1 is known for having lots of Pokemon with limited movepools, Blastoise had it pretty bad. Blastoise isn't actually a bad Pokemon, it's just in terms of Gen 1 competitive, he's very average.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  5. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

Noted and thanks for your point. So in your opinion, if I replace Venusaur with Blastoise, I'll need to remove Seaking too since they are both water type. It kinda frees up a spot but who should you think I can replace Venusaur/Seaking?

The types available I think is Poison, Grass, Fighting, Bug, Fire, Dragon, Ghost and Ice... Maybe Beedrill? Or Parasect?

6. shoz999

If your looking for a weak grass-type, Parasect ain't a bad choice.

7. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

It doesn't have to be Grass type. I'm not type specific so long is not the same as already in the list. Which is why even though Farfertchd sucks, it is my saving grace from choosing Ditto .

But thanks for your input.

8. shoz999

Okey dokey. Seems weird though your attempting a playthrough with weak Pokemon in Gen 1. You realize even with good Pokemon, Gen 1's mechanics are experiemental and by extension, annoying right? I think we all remember the dreaded wrap attack lol.

9. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

That's the whole point. I tried all water type in FireRed and it was way too easy (Blastoise, Kabutops, Lapras, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Starmie) and partly because everything is so much nerfed and I also have Perish Song that ko-ed everything for me.

As wonky as Gen 1 is, I want to challenge myself and honestly, this group is still manageble with a lil grinding (with Goldeen out of the way - less grinding for me) conpared to when I look at Gen 2 list -literal nightmare how many troll Pokemon there is.

My Gen 2 current list is Meganium, Unown, Dunsparce, Delibird, Qwilfish, Shuckle (currently playing). Corsola and Smeargle almost made the list if it wasn't for type balancing

10. shoz999

I wouldn't call it challenging, just annoying. If you want to challenge yourself in any game above Gen 4 I think? I think Gen 3 has it, I do know a way that can make something like X and Y, arguably the easiest Pokemon games before Let's Go, challenging. Just get power-items. It halves your Pokemon's speed turning every battle into a Necrozma fight. It makes it more challenging but also harder to level up due to the one-shots. In fact you might actually want to consider exp. share. Of course the catch is you need a played save file with power items as they are late-game rewards.

11. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

The plan is gradually going up the Generation starting with Gen 1. Gen 4 is easily the hardest one Ive ever played (CYNTHIA!!). The rest are - ehh.... Beat the elite four in first or second try.

12. shoz999

Actually I believe Gen V are the hardest Pokemon games. While Sinnoh's Elite Four were pretty difficult, everything before that were pretty easy.

13. GreenMatius

GreenMatius Member

Really? I think it was okay. Nothing memorable to me. I had a Sawsbuck and I love it and pretty much it. Haha

shoz999 likes this.
  14. shoz999

Alright. Well good luck with your playthrough.

GreenMatius likes this.