• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weakness Cup

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The new battle competition looks pretty interesting. You can only bring pokemon with 5 or more weaknesses. Also, the only items allowed are weakness berries.

There are a LOT of grass, types in this competition. And Bulu is the only pokemon with a terrain ability in a competition where literally nothing can set up any terrain but grassy terrain and there are no poison types. So yeah, Bulu is gonna be broken. Aside from that, Terrakion and Virizion as well as the latis are allowed. There are quite a few ghost, ice and rock types too. In particular Aerodactyl's offensive typing could be scary in combination with its hidden ability, unnerve nullifying the berries. And Chandelure is strong against several really dangerous mons.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm not too sure yet what to do with it, partly because PGL and Serebii contradict each other on the battle format. Serebii says it's doubles and PGL says it's singles. But I think Tyranitar is going to be solid together with Tapu Bulu, they cover each other's weaknesses well (Bulu resists Grass, Water, Ground, and Fighting while Tyranitar resists Flying, Fire, and Poison). They're both Steel weak but there are no Steel types in Weakness Cup anyway.

Maybe an unexpected one, but I think Togekiss is also viable in this format. Togekiss has useful resistances to Grass, Fighting, and Bug and has Air Slash to cover Grass types like Tapu Bulu, as well as Aura Sphere to cover Rock types like Tyranitar. And three of Togekiss's five weaknesses have no pokémon with STAB in Weakness cup (Poison, Steel, and Electric) with the exception of Gunk Shot Protean Greninja. Speaking of which, Protean Greninja is an interesting way to circumvent the weakness requirement.

I also want to try out Sceptile. It takes advantage of Grassy Terrain for powerful Leaf Storms and has the fastest Quick Guard in Weakness Cup (in case of Doubles), the only Fake Out user that outruns it in Weakness Cup is Weavile. I just don't think the rest of Sceptile's special movepool is very good though, it only gets Hidden Power, Dragonbreath, and Focus Blast as non-Grass non-Normal special attacks (I don't have ORAS for move tutors)

Last edited:

Flamer

Pretty sure Serebii's got it right. Apparently the Japanese, (and other) PGLs list it as doubles.

Looks like another really interesting format. Love that they've started mixing things up again with these weird rules

I'm quite keen to bring the Whimsicott I trained for the Tiny Tourney, but never ended up using. Looking at the viability rankings DragonWhale posted on Smogon, a Terracott combo could be viable, although I have my doubts. Outside of the lower ranks, it could be hard to pull off without a Focus Sash.

Unfortunately Alolan Marowak, who I've really been enjoying using recently, isn't doing much without its Thick Club. Chandelure looks like a very solid replacement though.

Be interested to see how viable Trick Room is. Been having a lot of fun with it of late, nice departure from my usual hit 'em hard and fast approach, would like to give it a try here. Don't have a huge amount of options for the setter, with Mimikyui, Oranguru and Porygon2 all eligible. Slowking's an option, but its always a pain getting Pokemon who evolve by trade. Maybe Whimsicott, although again without the Focus Sash its not exactly reliable. Alolan Exeggutor looks promising, especially with the Grassy Terrain that's likely to be everywhere.

As for Pokemon to operate inside it, I'm quite liking the look of Guzzlord. There's not going to be a whole load of Fairies running around like usual, so its x4 weakness won't be quite as crippling. Without those two major drawbacks, its got great coverage, good attacking stats and insane HP, (although offset somewhat by its defensive stats). Could be a real threat.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Alolan Exeggutor is legal in Weakness Cup and can set up Trick Room. Slowbro can do it too. There are some pokémon that can take advantage of it. Crabominable is fairly slow and a hard-hitter. Palossand is also slow, and if you have Tyranitar in your team it can use Sand Veil and Shore Up to take advantage. Speaking of which, CurseTar is pretty scary in Trick Room if you manage to set up. Dhelmise has a lot of attack too, and is quite slow. Dhelmise is also the only thing that effectively gets Steel STAB in Weakness Cup. Shiinotic is slow and can run Spore. And of course there's Adaptability Crawdaunt if you have it.

I wouldn't be so sure about the lack of Fairy types. Togekiss might be more common than you think and Ribombee is legal too.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
what do you think is the viability with breloom in this tourney? i have come up with something weird again, im planning to run a Sceptile and also a Bellossom. the calm Bellossom will be running gastro acid to impede poison heal and in general suppress certain abilities. i do like the idea of unnerve Aerodactyl but decided that unnerve T-tar was a better fit. Togekiss ia a guaranteed choice on my part.

i would appreciate some advice on my gastro acid Bellossom. im running a calm flinch hax Togekiss so im having a hard time putting down a final Bellosom set. the Bellosom set will be gastro acid, moonblast, moonlight/synthesis. the last slot slot is a toss up of sludge bomb/giga drain. this is by no means to be 100% competitive, its just a fun set to try. im also running a throat chop sneasel (to be a weavile) i got from WT missing SPA and HP IVs. would throat chop or punishment run better? punishment would be great on calm mind users but unreliable on unboosted pkmn.

Last edited:

pyrromanis

Aerodactyl is going to be very good in this competition! Wide Guard, Sky Drop, Rock Slide and Tailwind all in one set + Unnerve gives so much utility for a team. Tyranitar is probably the other best rock type to use besides Aero and it can work well both in Trick Room or Tailwind. But imo Rhyperior is going to a hidden gem in this cup. Solid Rock + Weakness Policy under TR it's going to wreck teams. With STAB EQ and Rock Slide for massive spread damage and Megahorn for the plethora of grass types something is going down each time it attacks after the WP activates. And if you are afraid of Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain you can run Drill Run which isn't nerfed by the field!

Other notable pokemon that I think can be amazing are Whimsicott and Ribombee due to their fairy STAB. Since there are 0 poison and 0 steel types available for this competition and with only 3 usable fire types (Marowak-alola, Chandelure and Delphox) Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam is going to be unresisted! Whimsicott is probably going to be the one most used due to its plethora of supprot moves with Prankster like Encore, Tailwind, Memento, Leech Seed, Taunt, Light Screen etc. But Ribombee provides better offensive power with Quiver Dance while also keeping some utility options with Pollen Puff's secondary use. Also it's the 4th faster pokemon in the competition behind Ninjask, Aero and Weavile and at +1 speed it speed ties with up to base 80 speed pokemon if they have TW support.

Some other probably underrated mons are Tsareena/Bruxish that block priority, Krookodile and Masquerain due to Intimidate, Parasect for Spore-Rage Powder-Wide Guard support, Dhelmise for pseudo-steel STAB and Friend Guard Vivilion.

what do you think is the viability with breloom in this tourney? i have come up with something weird again, im planning to run a Sceptile and also a Bellossom. the calm Bellossom will be running gastro acid to impede poison heal and in general suppress certain abilities. i do like the idea of unnerve Aerodactyl but decided that unnerve T-tar was a better fit. Togekiss ia a guaranteed choice on my part.

i would appreciate some advice on my gastro acid Bellossom. im running a calm flinch hax Togekiss so im having a hard time putting down a final Bellosom set. the Bellosom set will be gastro acid, moonblast, moonlight/synthesis. the last slot slot is a toss up of sludge bomb/giga drain. this is by no means to be 100% competitive, its just a fun set to try. im also running a throat chop sneasel (to be a weavile) i got from WT missing SPA and HP IVs. would throat chop or punishment run better? punishment would be great on calm mind users but unreliable on unboosted pkmn.

Sludge Bomb is probably going to be better since poison types aren't common and not running STAB isn't a big deal since you have Sceptile. I definately recommend Follow Me on Togekiss and Throat Chop is probably better against bug types with Bug Buzz

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Aerodactyl is going to be very good in this competition! Wide Guard, Sky Drop, Rock Slide and Tailwind all in one set + Unnerve gives so much utility for a team. Tyranitar is probably the other best rock type to use besides Aero and it can work well both in Trick Room or Tailwind. But imo Rhyperior is going to a hidden gem in this cup. Solid Rock + Weakness Policy under TR it's going to wreck teams. With STAB EQ and Rock Slide for massive spread damage and Megahorn for the plethora of grass types something is going down each time it attacks after the WP activates. And if you are afraid of Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain you can run Drill Run which isn't nerfed by the field!

Other notable pokemon that I think can be amazing are Whimsicott and Ribombee due to their fairy STAB. Since there are 0 poison and 0 steel types available for this competition and with only 3 usable fire types (Marowak-alola, Chandelure and Delphox) Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam is going to be unresisted! Whimsicott is probably going to be the one most used due to its plethora of supprot moves with Prankster like Encore, Tailwind, Memento, Leech Seed, Taunt, Light Screen etc. But Ribombee provides better offensive power with Quiver Dance while also keeping some utility options with Pollen Puff's secondary use. Also it's the 4th faster pokemon in the competition behind Ninjask, Aero and Weavile and at +1 speed it speed ties with up to base 80 speed pokemon if they have TW support.

Some other probably underrated mons are Tsareena/Bruxish that block priority, Krookodile and Masquerain due to Intimidate, Parasect for Spore-Rage Powder-Wide Guard support, Dhelmise for pseudo-steel STAB and Friend Guard Vivilion.
_________

Sludge Bomb is probably going to be better since poison types aren't common and not running STAB isn't a big deal since you have Sceptile. I definately recommend Follow Me on Togekiss and Throat Chop is probably better against bug types with Bug Buzz

thank you very much for the reply. i tend to run with under-rated or overshadowed pkmn but i do have had hitters to cover the weaknesses to a limited extent. i'll definitely go with sludge bomb as i totally forgot that some legends and tapu bulu are likely gonna be powerhouses. synthesis is likely a better choice if grassy terrain comes along. im running a HP fire Sceptile for steel/grass types, though i do have a HP poison bred out from before. i set up this duo to deal with breloom but it can also hit grass types. i dont often run ice types but the grass types and restrictions in general make this a must. i didnt breed a Togekiss from my gen6 team yet but im slowly getting this team together. i just need to get something transferred over/bred for this team.

i dont care about the mega prizes but im looking forward to the battles a bit now. it sounds like a can run a few fun things even if i only end up posing minor annoyances. i do find the change up in restrictions in these recent competitions a great change. i was able to run some fun sets with some less than stellar pkmn and it does limit some OP pkmn that usually pose some serious problems to me.

edit: im running that JPN sneasel through the elit4 a few times and im really liking the throat chop animation. this set can grow on me after a few battles.

Last edited:

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I'm sure that Grass-types will be common. I planned on an all-Grass team until I forgot about it and it's a little too late for me to create the team in a way I'd feel comfortable. I expect Serperior and Lunatis may be common Intimidate deterrents if any are viable. I had planned to have a Whimsicott use Memento on them as part of my strategy, as well as Shiftry using Defog on them. You guys can take my strategy if you want, I'm not going to compete.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
I'm trying to sign up for the Weakness Cup Masters' Division, but it says the sign-ups are already closed. Does anyone know why?

EKZ1505

I'm trying to sign up for the Weakness Cup Masters' Division, but it says the sign-ups are already closed. Does anyone know why?

They definitely are still open. It won't close until the tournament starts. I'm assuming you've done this before so you have a GL account hooked up to your game?

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
They definitely are still open. It won't close until the tournament starts. I'm assuming you've done this before so you have a GL account hooked up to your game?

Yes, I do. I just checked and they still say they're closed for me.

Rio!

Composer
Yes, I do. I just checked and they still say they're closed for me.

Same here, just got to the sign ups page and it says registration is closed. Kinda bummed since I just figured out a team. ^^;

EKZ1505

You should both find the Support page within the Global Link and send a message asking for help. There's enough time before the start of the tourney that they (hopefully) should get back to you in time.

Edit: My roommate was able to sign up shortly after I posted this, so hopefully it works for you both!

Last edited:

Flamer

I'd been having the same problem with the competition being closed when I tried to sign up over the weekend, but looks like it's fixed now. Gave it another go this morning and was able to get in :)

BugCatcher6

From what I have read the signup issue has been fixed.

I saw Trick Room mentioned in the earlier post. I have been having decent success with Dazzling Bruxish to set up my Trick Room.

Stops Fake Out and Prankster Taunts.

Edit: Sorry I did not see where the last 2 post mentioned the signups being fixed.

Edit 2: 9-6 on day 1. 8-1 when I had Trick Room set up.

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I'd been having the same problem with the competition being closed when I tried to sign up over the weekend, but looks like it's fixed now. Gave it another go this morning and was able to get in :)

Were you trying to register on the global link wesbite or with the DS? Because you can't actually register your team until the battling starts.

Had a decent start this week, 7-3. One of my losses was down to a stone edge missing too. Instead of +2 TTar taking out weavile with Stone edge and +2 Bulu smart stirkes Whimsicott it was TTar Misses Weavile, Weavile kills Bulu and Whimsicott finishes the weakened TTar . Still bulky dragon dance TTar backed by support aerodactyl was a really effective combo for me. I was a bit worried going into this competition because I couldn't find my Omega Ruby which had by good terrakion, latias, serperior and greninjas in it. But centering my team around Bulu and TTar with Aerodactyl as as support has generally worked out. Bulky and tailwind works wonders.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i won 19/45 battles in this tourney (4-5 were forfeits on their part) but the follow me Togekiss helped out alot to divert mach punch from Breloom aimed at Weavile. i even was able to spam follow me to divert moves aimed at Bellossom. in the end that made for a great battle/loss but i was able to KO 2.9 pkmn with Bellossom as the Slowbro survived with 3HP when i ran out of recovery PP.

Flamer

Unfortunately I was quite busy this weekend, so only managed 15 battles over the three days. Finished with a record of 10-5, although one of the defeats was due to my internet cutting out while I was cruising to victory, so like to think of it as 10-4 :p For a while it looked like I might make 1600 for the first time, but a couple of defeats on the last day scuppered that. Still, a very enjoyable tournament.

Went all in on Trick Room, which turned out to be a great decision. Had three setters, one to bypass each of the common counters; Chandelure, (Fake Out), Exeggutor, (Spore) and Oblivious Slowbro, (Taunt). Only once failed to get it up, if I remember correctly, and that was because of Rock Slide flinching Slowbro two turns in row. And when it was up, we were pretty invincible, sweeping teams 3 or 4 nil more often than not. Just lost once with Trick Room up. That was against a pretty skilled Japanese player who had a Gigalith. Really should have prepared more for that.

We did decently outside of Trick Room too, which was nice. Held off using it against some slower teams, with mixed results. One time I really should have, forgot how fast Gorluck, (sp?) is, and another time I was just outplayed by another Trick Room team, (fun game though, as we both tried to work around each other). On a couple of occasions we were very successful though.

attachment.php

Chandelure - Given how hyped it had been coming into the tournament, I didn’t particularly expect it to live up to its billing. And it didn’t fail to disappoint. To be fair, it was more due to the way the meta developed than anything wrong with Chandelure. I’d been expecting a lot of Tapu Bulu, spreading Grassy Terrain, and a bunch of Grass types to take advantage, but that never really came to pass. Saw a few Serperior and a Sceptile or two, but apart from that Grass types were pretty scarce. Similarly, I surprisingly didn’t see any Weaville, so there was no need to lead with a Fake Out immune setter. Don’t regret bringing it, if my matchups were different it would have come in very handy, but as it was Chandy just never got the chance to shine. 3/5

Crabomidable - Inside the Trick Room, he really packed a punch. Literally. Deliciously anti-meta, dealing with, or having the potential to deal with, a lot of the common threats. But, I messed up on the moveset, giving him Power-up Punch instead of Protect. He's decently bulky, but Ice/Fighting is a horrible defensive typing. Never felt confident enough to set up with Power-up Punch, and the lack of Protect meant I couldn’t really use him as a lead. When he was bought into battle, it was as a late game sweeper, which didn’t suit so well given his reliance on the Trick Room. That said, scored me a fantastic victory in my final battle. Stuck outside Trick Room against an Aerodactyl, he tanked a Air Slash with single digit HP to spare (after lowering his own defences KOing a Tyranitar with Close Combat, and having taken damage the previous turn), before KOing it with an Ice Punch. Maybe he was more bulky than I gave him credit for after all. 3/5

Dhelmise - A bit of a victim of the team’s success. In general, Tyranitar turned out to be the more effective lead sweeper, so Dhelmise often had to settle for a place in the back field, when it was bought at all. Given I was able to more or less sweep with my leads once Trick Room was up, Dhelmise never really got a change to shine. Did a good job when called upon, and the STAB Anchor Shot provided by Steelworker was a nice option to have on the table. 3/5

Exeggutor - Pleasantly surprised with how effective this guy was. A really solid Trick Room setter, who turned into an incredibly potent special sweeper once it was up. Formed a great partnership with Tyranitar, with the two of them more or less taking down entire teams in a lot of matches. 5/5

Slowbro - Another great Trick Room setter, mostly due to her fantastic bulk. Tanked a load of super effective hits with ease. Whilst she wasn’t as potent as Exeggutor, Scald and Physic provided good coverage to help Tyranitar sweep. Did a good job coming in late game and re-setting Trick Room too, which won me a couple of matches that could have gone astray. In particularly one against a very good player from New York with a high 1600 score. Pretty proud of that one. 4/5

Tyranitar - A last minute addition to the team in place of Guzzlord, which turned out to be a tournament defining decision. Unquestionably the MVP. Went with a min Spd build so she'd be effective inside a Trick Room. Was a absolute beast of a physical sweeper, and more than capable of tanking a super effective hit to get its Weakness Policy activated. But more valuable than her sweeping prowess was the offensive pressure she applied at the start of matches. Going into the tournament, the lack of redirection on the team left me very nervous about my setters being double targeting. That didn’t happen once with Tyranitar on the field, even against better players with high 1500 or 1600 ratings. More often she was actually double targeted while Protecting, basically giving me a free Trick Room and allowing Exeggutor or Slowbro to join the fun. Pursuit was a mistake. Didn’t use it once, and there was a couple of occasions some more coverage would have been appreciated. A minor criticism though. 5/5

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 13.43.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 13.43.35.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited: