• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weather or No Weather

Weather or no weather?

• I like weather teams better than teams with no weather.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • I like teams with no weather better than ones with weather.

Votes: 101 58.7%

• Total voters

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
I just think permanent weather is the stupidest thing they've ever decided to do, I would understand if permanent weather was a Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, exclusive ability because they're freaking weather Gods. There isn't ONE pokemon move that lasts the entire battle on it's own. So why make unchangable ability that not only lasts the entire battle, but can't be stopped unless you have a weather pokemon of your own.

[SARCASM]Oh my gosh I know. Weather is soooo amazingly unstoppable. We should just go ban permanent weather. In fact, lets just ban weather altogether! [/SARCASM] Anyways. I don't really like weather teams that much. I just like non weather more i guess.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
[SARCASM]Oh my gosh I know. Weather is soooo amazingly unstoppable. We should just go ban permanent weather. In fact, lets just ban weather altogether! [/SARCASM]

For an ability,a perma-weather one is seriously advantageous for an opponent.Sure,I can survive a Trick Room but when you're up against several swift swim pokemon and your key sweeper's a fire type,you have no chance whatsoever.
Banning permanent weather is actually a good idea-rain dance(for example)at least gives me a window(however small) to do something significant.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
For an ability,a perma-weather one is seriously advantageous for an opponent.Sure,I can survive a Trick Room but when you're up against several swift swim pokemon and your key sweeper's a fire type,you have no chance whatsoever.
Banning permanent weather is actually a good idea-rain dance(for example)at least gives me a window(however small) to do something significant.

Well, swift swim is banned. A fire type can beat a water type in the rain easily. That's what coverage moves are for. An easier way would be to just switch to ferrothorn or something else that can easily beat rain. Weather has counters, just like every pokemon in OU.

Zachmac

Well, swift swim is banned. A fire type can beat a water type in the rain easily. That's what coverage moves are for. An easier way would be to just switch to ferrothorn or something else that can easily beat rain. Weather has counters, just like every pokemon in OU.
Well, most fire types can't take down a water type, but who would be using a team of 6 fire types? When I made a sun team in early 5th gen, I only had two fire types.

My only actual problem with weather is how monotonous it can be at times. I often find myself fighting the same teams with slightly different pokemon.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I'm mixed on the subject, I liked it when to set-up weather you had to use the move. Now Rain Dance and Sunny Day are only used when someone has a free move-slot and want to mess up other weather teams.

Zachmac

I'm mixed on the subject, I liked it when to set-up weather you had to use the move. Now Rain Dance and Sunny Day are only used when someone has a free move-slot and want to mess up other weather teams.
Exactly, I had this great rain team back in 4th gen(or great for a noob), and it was built around the move rain dance. I just loved it, Kabutops became one of my favorite pokemon then. When I saw drizzle politoed, I was thrilled. Then, it just became too popular. I thought it was fun because it was a different twist to most teams, but now it is most team.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
I don't like facing weather teams if i'm not using one myself because then it just becomes a one sided match
Well, there are many counters to weather teams. Dragonite is a notable one. So are Cloyster, Rotom-W, Infernape, and Latios. Quagsire can also be noted for being a good counter to excadrill before it was banned. I also seem to remember seeing a Lickilicky once, although I can't remember how well it did.

Rain teams are almost always the same. soo annoying. although my Swampert lolz while in it. and sun ALWAYS has venusaur.

Battle against player #1 Handle the politoed lead. Check. Handle the Ferrothorn. Check. Handle the Rotom-W. Check. Handle the Scizor. Check. Handle two other random pokemon.

Battle against player #2 Handle the politoed lead. Check. Handle the Ferrothorn. Check. Handle the Rotom-W. Check. Handle the Scizor. Check. Handle two other random pokemon. Hold on a moment....

Not exactly, lol. I don't like to use the same 'mons as others, but I use wheater. I use it because it's the best strategy for me, a "beginner" (not noob xD) in competitive battle. My team only have Politoad as the "most common wheater abuses". I don't use Ferro, Rotom, Vaporeon, Toxicroak and Scizor in my Rain. I don't really think that wheater limit the creativity of the players, since you can test a lot of variety. My last rain team, for example, had Scolipede and Jolteon. You can try vriety at wheather, IMO.

But, as I said earlier, I'm starting to battle. When I get more experience with experienced battlers, I would try a non-wheater team.

Zachmac

Not exactly, lol. I don't like to use the same 'mons as others, but I use wheater. I use it because it's the best strategy for me, a "beginner" (not noob xD) in competitive battle. My team only have Politoad as the "most common wheater abuses". I don't use Ferro, Rotom, Vaporeon, Toxicroak and Scizor in my Rain. I don't really think that wheater limit the creativity of the players, since you can test a lot of variety. My last rain team, for example, had Scolipede and Jolteon. You can try vriety at wheather, IMO.
Variety is probably possible, but most rain teams often look similar, because they use pokemon that take full advantage of the weather. Whenever I see rain, there is almost always a Jirachi/Ferrothorn/both and a rotom-W, then other pokemon such as Tentacruel/Vaporeon/Scizor. Those pokemon benefit from rain a lot, and work very well in it, so most good players will use them. A good player probably make a great team without those, but those pokemon are just usually so easy to use that they tend to be most player's first picks.

I'm glad to here that another player attempts to use weather without using those same pokemon, but the majority of players who use weather don't.

Variety is probably possible, but most rain teams often look similar, because they use pokemon that take full advantage of the weather. Whenever I see rain, there is almost always a Jirachi/Ferrothorn/both and a rotom-W, then other pokemon such as Tentacruel/Vaporeon/Scizor. Those pokemon benefit from rain a lot, and work very well in it, so most good players will use them. A good player probably make a great team without those, but those pokemon are just usually so easy to use that they tend to be most player's first picks.

I'm glad to here that another player attempts to use weather without using those same pokemon, but the majority of players who use weather don't.

First of all, thanks lol. Using the same 'mons as every one makes the game boring. Also, it's predictable for your oponents. I think you can use diff 'mons if you're good.

In my team (which is still in tests), I had trouble with Bulk Up Toxicroak in rain. I would try a Tornadus. Hurricane + Prankster FTW. As for the other common ones, either I didn't face off 'em or I had no trouble with.

PolPothead

F***AMON
I dont really care, but whenever i use weather teams, i try and put some uniqueness into it, or otherwise its will be pretty boring, i only tend to use 2 ou's which is that weather pokemon and one of my favorites. I don't like kingra with rain..... vensaur can be knocked out easily (even with sun combo, people do stand a chance) but with kingdra, its would near impossible to knock it out in rain, and I dont use it because im not a noob

Also I rarely use sand or rain teams (just because they are more overused than the other weathers), I often use sun or hail. I don't get why people use sun or hail teams more often

Vandslaux

I don't like weather.

And I've never seen the point in using Hail. Basing your team around screwing over a specific playstyle is just flat out stupid.

Vandslaux

I don't really like weather, but I don't really care about it in another way. Making a good weather team takes skill. Especially Sun.

M4zz

Banned
Although I prefer not to use weather, giving the team more balance and creativity, I still will use all 4 forms of weather. I like weather, but I don't run the same 2 or 3 sweepers and same 2 defensive Pokemon like a standard weather team would. I like to be creative with my builds and sets. Sandstorm's just a great weather too.

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't use weather teams anymore except sand. The opponent may have more ways to abuse the weather but always have at least 1 to abuse the weather I'm against. So, it's not a problem for me really.

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
I find both of them same as enjoyable yet i perfer non-wheater because of Sandrush and swift swim beeing banned and Chlorophyll not. Speed boosting abilities as such are really irritating.

Lucariolover22

Aura Master
Never been a fan of weather teams, I do use one or two sometimes if my Pokemon can take advantage of it.