• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Webmaster Discussion Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidla

Pokeiprince
Where could i learn about flash script, i'm have been search for hourss and couldn't find anything

RGdude

You know RG r0x.
Is it a good idea to make a Pokemon RPG now? I mean there are quite many on the internet, I am half way done with mine but it still needs some work (I am not talking about those Forum RPGs Reals ones like PokeCrater etc...).
Also is it a good idea (* wow again) to have a BitTorrent Tracker on a server with 10gb b/w and 200mb sace, I installed 1 but wanted to know. Thanks if you help me.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Where could i learn about flash script, i'm have been search for hourss and couldn't find anything

Do you mean Flash ActionScripts? I just recently purchased a book since I need to make a website using Flash ActionScripts as a final non-thesis project for my master's degree.

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
While the moderators in this forum do a fine job purging threads that advertise forums, it seems to be all they do these days. There have been some excellent ideas in the form of discussion topics, free resources for webmasters that have been the products of this forum's moderation, yet they seem to have lost interest in these extras.

For example, the free resources for webmasters thread, the main list in the title was last updated in 5-23-2006. However, the most recent post in that thread that provides links to resources was posted on 10-3-2007. I'd just like the concept of extras to be revived and new ones to be made to flare this place up a little.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'd have to agree with Crepuscular. The section is pretty dead outside of the occasional good website to rate. Since the information presented is several years old a complete rewrite of the majority of the threads may be needed.

One Sticky in particular that's been bothering me is this one. Outside of the extremely harsh air that the article has it does give some sound advice. I just can't relate to an article that repeatedly refers to a website as a " Stupid Site " and at one point blanantly states that they make better certain content then the reader ever possibly could.

Aside from that I feel that it doesn't really cater towards webmasters that are absolutely new at the trade which is what the majority of websites that are posted here are. A nice solid beginner's guide with the fundamentals would be extremely useful.

RedStarWarrior

Forum Tsar
I'd have to agree with Crepuscular. The section is pretty dead outside of the occasional good website to rate. Since the information presented is several years old a complete rewrite of the majority of the threads may be needed.

One Sticky in particular that's been bothering me is this one. Outside of the extremely harsh air that the article has it does give some sound advice. I just can't relate to an article that repeatedly refers to a website as a " Stupid Site " and at one point blanantly states that they make better certain content then the reader ever possibly could.

Aside from that I feel that it doesn't really cater towards webmasters that are absolutely new at the trade which is what the majority of websites that are posted here are. A nice solid beginner's guide with the fundamentals would be extremely useful.
I haven't had time to do anything to that effect, but if you'd like to work on one, I'd definitely sticky it.

gerdonhanry

Yes, I have already seen Website Hosting, It provides a short list of honest web hosting companies, to help you save valuable time that you'd otherwise spend on investigating companies that are... how should I put this... not entirely honest. These hosts deserve relevant notes of interest are present on the pages dedicated to each of them.

Disgruntled Goat

has his moments
I think there should be less sticky threads, cos there are loads right now. All you need are:
- Rules ("hold it right there" or "what you can't post here" merged into one)
- General tips/advice (merge chaos thread and other help threads)

And I guess this thread. If people need help they can start a new thread, that's what the forum's for, right?

quilava1

Pokemon Master
Offensive Signitures

lately, i've been seeing in the signitures of many members a picture of a woman with whipped cream bottles strapped to her chest area, spraying them in every direction. I see these as:
offensive
disgusting
perverted
weird
gross
odd
stupid
crazy
insane
odd
ect...
I would really like it if all the pictures were removed and banned because quite frankly, they're just wrong. I don't know if they are some prize for entering in a tournament or somthing but whether they're a trophy or not, I want them off the site!!! You're help would be most appriciated, but
I'm not sure i'll get it because SOME SITE REPS ( yes blue harvest, blue moon, harvest moon, whatever your name is, YOU!!!) actully have it IN their signitures. but regardless, I would love to see the serebii forums a whipped cream lady fee site.

Your work is really great. It is awesome. I like your information because It will be good for my work. Really I enjoy with your company. Some days ago my friends told me that your work is excellent so I prefer your work.

legend_trainer

Living with legends.
I think we should make a thread for all sorts of things a website should have in code, and then when it is done it could be merged and made into one thread that could be a sticky

ex:

site should have a 2-column layout with an external css file, a banner message (js) on main page, forum, and frame tags to left-side nav column, header, footer and a dropdown menu (made with js)

I think we should make a thread for all sorts of things a website should have in code, and then when it is done it could be merged and made into one thread that could be a sticky

ex:

site should have a 2-column layout with an external css file, a banner message (js) on main page, forum, and frame tags to left-side nav column, header, footer and a dropdown menu (made with js)

Wait, so basically we give a description of something we like in layouts and say layouts should have it? o_O

legend_trainer

Living with legends.
not exactly, i was reffering to a final product (kinda). in the end is would be like (for example):

Serebii Webmasters' guide to a successful website v1:

To make a successful site you should have all of your logos, js files, css files, and includes in marked folders at the top public level of your domain. These files should be .htaccess protected to keep others from stealing your code. They should also have generic names to keep others from knowing what templates you might have used, ex: dropdown_menus.css, logo.png/logo.jpg/logo.gif, header.html, footer.html.

Your URL's should be labeled well. ex:
Instead of page2.html use aboutus.html

Use .htaccess to keep your site organized. Have mod_rewrite send people who type in .htm or .phtml or .shtml get sent to the .html file. Use file access rights to deny people from seeing files on their browser in file viewing mode (so they can only see the file when you use it on your site).

legend_trainer

Living with legends.
(Sorry for double posting, i can't put the entire thing in one post on my phone)

Don't use more that one script (js, php, vbs, etc.) per page, it takes forever to load.

Put all of your formatting into ONE external css file (css files that came with something that you got (like a dropdown menu) somewhere else and put on your site are an exception). It makes everyone elses life easier.

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Basically the intent was to make ONE 'ultimate guidelines in building a site' thing. Everyone's opinion put into it ONE big guide on SPPf. Compile everyone's opinion into the ultimate guidelines to post. Sort of like what W3C does with web standards, but as something on a MUCH smaller scale, smaller audience, smaller value (it is for SPPf general purposes in this case, not for the world).

Are you getting what i'm saying now? Did this help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.