• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wednesday: Pokémon X & Y - PokéBall Vivillon Distribution + Pokémon Center Online

S

SerebiiBot

Wednesday: Pokémon X & Y - PokéBall Vivillon Distribution + Pokémon Center Online

Serebii.net has just updated with this:

More...

Trevenant

Banned
...another cosmetic event. Furthermore of a Pokemon we literally just had an event for. Is Vivillon going to be Gen 6's Celebi/Darkrai? lol.
I forgot... we've already had both of them at least once since Gen 6 started and like right before it too...

Nintendo. Japan gets cool events like Diancie or Moonblast Jirachi (that also doubles up as a trophy event considering it's a shiny version of a Pokemon 99% of people do not have shiny) that actually affect gameplay. They're different in ways that can radically change gameplay and how you plan a team and stuff.

We want equal events. The severe racial bias with events is pretty disgusting. Why do we only get cosmetic events...?
I'd be willing to put up with some terrible "buy a product at [x] store, get a serial code" (they love these, I guess they realized people were able to get the Mystery Gifts from distro. systems in places like GameStop from the parking lot without needing to enter) event if they:
A: Actually happened and:
B: Had something worth getting.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
...another cosmetic event. Furthermore of a Pokemon we literally just had an event for. Is Vivillon going to be Gen 6's Celebi/Darkrai? lol.
I forgot... we've already had both of them at least once since Gen 6 started and like right before it too...

Nintendo. Japan gets cool events like Diancie or Moonblast Jirachi (that also doubles up as a trophy event considering it's a shiny version of a Pokemon 99% of people do not have shiny) that actually affect gameplay. They're different in ways that can radically change gameplay and how you plan a team and stuff.

We want equal events. The severe racial bias with events is pretty disgusting. Why do we only get cosmetic events...?
I'd be willing to put up with some terrible "buy a product at [x] store, get a serial code" (they love these, I guess they realized people were able to get the Mystery Gifts from distro. systems in places like GameStop from the parking lot without needing to enter) event if they:
A: Actually happened and:
B: Had something worth getting.

There is NOT a racial bias. People are just not understanding the entire concept. I am getting tired at people bringing race into the discussion of FREE GIFTS.

First, this is not racially motivated. For it to be, the people deciding the events would have to be the same between all regions and that is not the case.

Second, events have to be contextually valid. They're not just going to throw any event up. Most of the events in Japan would make no sense in the west, same with some in the west. Take the Happy Hour Inkay that everyone was complaining about. This was released to celebrate the opening of the Pokémon Center in Tokyo Bay, for which Inkay is the mascot. Shiny Jirachi is being given to commemorate the Japanese Tanabata Festival. These things would make no sense in the west. If they just put anything up, then event Pokémon would no longer be events, and would lose their specialness.

Third, if more places in the west were willing to hold events, there would be more events. In Japan, Pokémon is huge and embedded into their culture, so the events are great and popular. People all go, bring their 3DS, meet up, battle & trade, and places in Japan are willing to hold events. In the US and Europe, when places hold events, they don't go in. People just go to the damned car park and try to download it. I'm willing to bet that's part of why events in-store in the west are shifting to be distribution of serial codes rather than direct downloads.

Fourth, people need to actually research events. Yes, "Japan" got Shiny Jirachi, but let me clarify. ONE building in all of Japan has it. ONE. Most people in Japan can't get it. It costs the equivalent of $200 to go from Tokyo to Tohoku. Most Japanese events are like this. In contrast, when America gets in-life events, outside of Nationals/Worlds, it is country wide.

Japan gets more events, yes. However, all the major ones make it out of Japan (excluding the Unnerve Mewtwo and Shiny Genesect with last year's movie, due to the proximity of the western releases of the movie and the release of X & Y). It's only minor ones which would make no sense whatsoever in the west that stay in Japan.

Trevenant

Banned
I am getting tired at people bringing race into the discussion of FREE GIFTS.
Nothing is free for an event. A lot of people don't have Wi-Fi still nowadays. A lot of people don't live near the events and have to travel. Is that still "free"?

First, this is not racially motivated. For it to be, the people deciding the events would have to be the same between all regions and that is not the case.
What NoJ says goes in every case. There is no exception.
I very, very highly doubt it's a lack of NoA asking for us to have more events. We (as in NoA) need to be given events to distribute in the first place.

Second, events have to be contextually valid. They're not just going to throw any event up. Most of the events in Japan would make no sense in the west, same with some in the west. Take the Happy Hour Inkay that everyone was complaining about. This was released to celebrate the opening of the Pokémon Center in Tokyo Bay, for which Inkay is the mascot. Shiny Jirachi is being given to commemorate the Japanese Tanabata Festival. These things would make no sense in the west. If they just put anything up, then event Pokémon would no longer be events, and would lose their specialness.
Oh yes because a Jirachi that's Shiny with the move Moonblast is only possible to happen for that. It can't be rebranded to occur in the US like other events or anything...

The events would "lose their specialness"? Gameplay-affecting events shouldn't be region exclusive like this. Keep the crappy cosmetic events like the one-million Vivillons or [random Pokemon like Aegislash/etc in a Cherish Ball] "special" and exclusive. Gameplay changers should NOT be like this.

Third, if more places in the west were willing to hold events, there would be more events. In Japan, Pokémon is huge and embedded into their culture, so the events are great and popular. People all go, bring their 3DS, meet up, battle & trade, and places in Japan are willing to hold events. In the US and Europe, when places hold events, they don't go in. People just go to the damned car park and try to download it. I'm willing to bet that's part of why events in-store in the west are shifting to be distribution of serial codes rather than direct downloads.
No. The main problem is Japan is barely even the size of California. Getting around to go somewhere for an event isn't a problem. Not the same case for the United States if you live no where near an event.

If you want to talk business models, they should give us Wi-Fi events more often, not less. Do what's actually successful and practical for the country in question.

I'm also not sure why the parking lot thing angered you so much. I can very clearly tell you either work in GameStop or have never had the displeasure of dealing with them because you wouldn't defend such stores like that if you did. More to the point... why do you care?

Fourth, people need to actually research events. Yes, "Japan" got Shiny Jirachi, but let me clarify. ONE building in all of Japan has it. ONE. Most people in Japan can't get it. It costs the equivalent of $200 to go from Tokyo to Tohoku. Most Japanese events are like this. In contrast, when America gets in-life events, outside of Nationals/Worlds, it is country wide.
200$? Oh my. That's not much considering people in Japan travel very often for a ton of reasons (and the country is small anyway) and I'm sure MANY Pokemon fans live near there to begin with.

Country-wide events? What are you even talking about? We've had three Wi-Fi events so far and two of them were the same useless Pokemon. Wi-Fi events have ALWAYS been rare.

Furthermore, finding Japanese people to trade with is pretty hard. Like with many games, Japanese players are very xenophobic. They deal with themselves almost exclusively.

Japan gets more events, yes. However, all the major ones make it out of Japan (excluding the Unnerve Mewtwo and Shiny Genesect with last year's movie, due to the proximity of the western releases of the movie and the release of X & Y). It's only minor ones which would make no sense whatsoever in the west that stay in Japan.
All the major ones leave Japan you say? I'm looking forward to the Shiny Moonblast Jirachi! America has never had the chance to get a Shiny Jirachi, much less one with a 100% unique and helpful move.

It's not some stupid cosmetic event like these Vivillon or some Cherish Ball Pokemon. It actually changes gameplay and that's NOT okay to have region exclusive.

And for the cosmetic event collectors, once again, Shiny Jirachi is remaining Japanese only with the rest of the world as usual getting screwed.

Oh, something else. This is also the ONLY way we can use Jirachi in official competitions due to the whole Kalos-born issue. So now Japan has access to an excellent Pokemon exclusively that even has an amazing unique event move while the rest of the world... uh...

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Nothing is free for an event. A lot of people don't have Wi-Fi still nowadays. A lot of people don't live near the events and have to travel. Is that still "free"?

Yes, it is.

What NoJ says goes in every case. There is no exception.
I very, very highly doubt it's a lack of NoA asking for us to have more events. We (as in NoA) need to be given events to distribute in the first place.

That is not the case. Sorry, but that just reeks of a persecution complex. NoJ does not decide the events, or shoot down events, outside of Japan. At most, they say "This is Diancie, a Mythical Pokémon outside of normal play. You have to distribute this", and that's all

Oh yes because a Jirachi that's Shiny with the move Moonblast is only possible to happen for that. It can't be rebranded to occur in the US like other events or anything...

The events would "lose their specialness"? Gameplay-affecting events shouldn't be region exclusive like this. Keep the crappy cosmetic events like the one-million Vivillons or [random Pokemon like Aegislash/etc in a Cherish Ball] "special" and exclusive. Gameplay changers should NOT be like this.

Gameplay changer is relative. In essence, a Shiny Jirachi IS a cosmetic event, while the PokéBall Pattern Vivillon which cannot be obtained outside of event is a "gameplay changer". Just because a Pokémon has a special move for the event does not suddenly mean it's a gameplay changer.

I'm also not saying it can't be rebranded, but it is extremely unlikely because it'd just feel shoehorned in

No. The main problem is Japan is barely even the size of California. Getting around to go somewhere for an event isn't a problem. Not the same case for the United States if you live no where near an event.

If you want to talk business models, they should give us Wi-Fi events more often, not less. Do what's actually successful and practical for the country in question.

I'm also not sure why the parking lot thing angered you so much. I can very clearly tell you either work in GameStop or have never had the displeasure of dealing with them because you wouldn't defend such stores like that if you did. More to the point... why do you care?

200$? Oh my. That's not much considering people in Japan travel very often for a ton of reasons (and the country is small anyway) and I'm sure MANY Pokemon fans live near there to begin with.

Country-wide events? What are you even talking about? We've had three Wi-Fi events so far and two of them were the same useless Pokemon. Wi-Fi events have ALWAYS been rare.

Furthermore, finding Japanese people to trade with is pretty hard. Like with many games, Japanese players are very xenophobic. They deal with themselves almost exclusively.

Yes, Japan is smaller than North America, but that doesn't mean it isn't VERY time consuming and very expensive to get around it. Just because a country is relatively smaller does not mean it's suddenly widespread and an event in a single building is actually widespread

Country-wide events, I'm referring to the in-store ones. They're in every store across the country, which is in vast contrast to Japan, where the events are typically in just one building, outside the movie events.

You're also missing the entire concept of events. Very rarely are events there just to give specific Pokémon to players, but rather the event distribution is part of a larger campaign, and is a special gift within it. As such, Wi-Fi distribution does not fit these events.

All the major ones leave Japan you say? I'm looking forward to the Shiny Moonblast Jirachi! America has never had the chance to get a Shiny Jirachi, much less one with a 100% unique and helpful move.

It's not some stupid cosmetic event like these Vivillon or some Cherish Ball Pokemon. It actually changes gameplay and that's NOT okay to have region exclusive.

And for the cosmetic event collectors, once again, Shiny Jirachi is remaining Japanese only with the rest of the world as usual getting screwed.

Oh, something else. This is also the ONLY way we can use Jirachi in official competitions due to the whole Kalos-born issue. So now Japan has access to an excellent Pokemon exclusively that even has an amazing unique event move while the rest of the world... uh...

Shiny Moonblast Jirachi isn't a major event. You may think it is, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not. Major events are ones that give previously unobtainable Pokémon, forms or items and that's what constitutes a major event, and they ALL made it out of Japan.

I get that you want some of these events, but in your complaints, you are forgetting a variety of facts.

Trevenant

Banned
Yes, it is.
That's a warped definition of free.

Gameplay changer is relative. In essence, a Shiny Jirachi IS a cosmetic event, while the PokéBall Pattern Vivillon which cannot be obtained outside of event is a "gameplay changer". Just because a Pokémon has a special move for the event does not suddenly mean it's a gameplay changer.
ITT: We cherry-pick things then state obviously false about the cherry-picked quotes.

Shiny Jirachi is NOT obtainable outside of events. Furthermore, it also has a special move that, aside from being great for attacking, gets a very significant boost due to Jirachi's Serene Grace. Oh, but let's not forget that it is the only way Jirachi is legally useable in Gen 6 tournaments.

But of course it's only cosmetic right? lol.

I'm also not saying it can't be rebranded, but it is extremely unlikely because it'd just feel shoehorned in
Too bad. They should think next time before they release actual gameplay-changing events.

Yes, Japan is smaller than North America, but that doesn't mean it isn't VERY time consuming and very expensive to get around it. Just because a country is relatively smaller does not mean it's suddenly widespread and an event in a single building is actually widespread
The events are free you said, right? ^_^
I would probably have to travel to the other side of my country in order to see anything event-wise. Guess what? That is expensive.

You also ignored the fact that a Japanese person isn't going to have a hard time trading with another Japanese person whereas a foreigner trading with one is going to be unlikely to say the least.

They're in every store across the country
This happens when?

You're also missing the entire concept of events. Very rarely are events there just to give specific Pokémon to players, but rather the event distribution is part of a larger campaign, and is a special gift within it. As such, Wi-Fi distribution does not fit these events.
As such, exclusivity shouldn't have anything that could change gameplay in the least.

Major events are ones that give previously unobtainable Pokémon
Jirachi isn't obtainable outside of events.
Shiny Jirachi hasn't been obtainable for like 10 years.
I'll up the ante.
Kalos-born Jirachi isn't obtainable period.

America has always been harshly ignored for actually important events. It's nothing new.

A new move that's good and can significantly alter its role in a variety of ways (Moonblast, under Serene Grace has a 60% chance to drop the enemy's Special Attack, or it could just be used for straight-up damage) is gameplay-changing. You know what else is?
The Pokemon actually being useable period. Previously, it was not and still isn't unless you have that specific event Jirachi.

I don't condone hacking at all. But Nintendo needs to rethink their policies because time and time again they encourage hacking with exclusivity nonsense like this.

Last edited:

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Ok, I get that you want the Shiny Jirachi, but you have to let these things go. It has always been the case where some regions get awesome Pokémon that "change gameplay" and others don't. Sometimes, it's the west (like Wish Chansey, among others), sometimes it's Japan. That's they way it is, has been and always will be.

What you are proposing goes against the entire concept of event distributions that they put forth. They want events to have context, they want them to be special and just throwing everything over the Internet is not the way to do that.

Events are free. They don't expect people to travel ridiculous distances to go get it. That's not the point of them. The focus of the event is never the distribution Pokémon, but the actual event itself e.g. the Tanabata Festival and merchandise in the Pokémon Center in Tohoku is the focus, not the shiny Jirachi.

The distributions do still need something to make it special, and that's where event moves come in. They're not "game changers", they're options.

Besides, any official competition that allows Jirachi in removes the Kalos native block anyway.

Trevenant

Banned
It has always been the case where some regions get awesome Pokémon that "change gameplay" and others don't.
See, you keep putting it in quotations acting like I'm an exaggeratory idiot or something, but you want me to take your pro-tendo (I like their games a lot too. You defend their poor business practices, though.) posts seriously and that's not going to happen...

has been and always will be.
Sometimes it'd be best if Nintendo got rid of their decaying, xenophobic fossils. So that the mentality of "it was always crappy so let it remain crappy" can go away.

Or so they can realize there's more to the world than Japan. That works too.

They want events to have context, they want them to be special and just throwing everything over the Internet is not the way to do that.
Says you.
Limited-time distribution of something unique is still special, just saying.

What "context" does the Jirachi have anyway? None. It's just a Pokemon that's shiny with a special move being distributed somewhere in Japan.

Events are free.
Yeah, you're right. Oh wait, you're not.

Just because you're not paying Nintendo for it does NOT mean it is free.

The focus of the event is never the distribution Pokémon
Pro-tip: Anyone going there that plays Pokemon and is going there for the Pokemon doesn't give a flip about the festival.

Besides, any official competition that allows Jirachi in removes the Kalos native block anyway.
For the time being. We barely have legendaries in X/Y. Come OR/AS? I'm sure it'll be Kalos-only.

Last edited:

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
See, you keep putting it in quotations acting like I'm an exaggeratory idiot or something, but you want me to take your pro-tendo (I like their games a lot too. You defend their poor business practices, though.) posts seriously and that's not going to happen...

Sometimes it'd be best if Nintendo got rid of their decaying, xenophobic fossils. So that the mentality of "it was always crappy so let it remain crappy" can go away.

Or so they can realize there's more to the world than Japan. That works too.

Says you.
Limited-time distribution of something unique is still special, just saying.

What "context" does the Jirachi have anyway? None. It's just a Pokemon that's shiny with a special move being distributed somewhere in Japan.

Yeah, you're right. Oh wait, you're not.

Just because you're not paying Nintendo for it does NOT mean it is free.

Pro-tip: Anyone going there that plays Pokemon and is going there for the Pokemon doesn't give a flip about the festival.

For the time being. We barely have legendaries in X/Y. Come OR/AS? I'm sure it'll be Kalos-only.

This has nothing to do with Nintendo or their "xenophobic fossils". You're being racial again, and that's not the case and it is offensive.

Also, the Jirachi's context is to celebrate the Tanabata Festival in Japan. This festival is the Japanese star festival where people write wishes on strips of paper and hang it up. It's the entire concept behind Jirachi and Jirachi has been distributed almost every year in Japan since its conception to coincide with this festival: http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/385.shtml The Tanabata festival is very, very prominent in Tohoku, which is why the event is limited to the Pokémon Center in Tohoku.

It doesn't matter if players in the west don't care about the festival, The Pokémon Company does. They care about their events having context. You obviously do not like it, but it's their decision, and they care about their events having context and you need to accept that.

And events ARE free. Yes, they may cost you to get there, but the event itself is free. That sort of argument is flawed.

Trevenant

Banned
You're being racial again, and that's not the case and it is offensive.
Except for the fact that time and time again Nintendo thinks Japan is the center of the universe. I can't remember the last time NoA was actually relevant.

Also, the Jirachi's context is to celebrate the Tanabata Festival in Japan. This festival is the Japanese star festival where people write wishes on strips of paper and hang it up. It's the entire concept behind Jirachi and Jirachi has been distributed almost every year in Japan since its conception to coincide with this festival: http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/385.shtml The Tanabata festival is very, very prominent in Tohoku, which is why the event is limited to the Pokémon Center in Tohoku.
...this has what to do with anything...?
What prevents them from just renaming the stupid thing and handing it out in American stores or whatever?

They can keep their country-locked cosmetic events. Ones that affect gameplay should not be designated to only ONE country like this. What part of this do you not understand? Am I speaking Chinese to you or something?

The Pokémon Company does. They care about their events having context.
Or they care about the money that comes from promoting themselves at a big event, which is more likely.

You obviously do not like it
Most non-Asian fans of Pokemon feel this way. Again though I like your confrontational "quit acting like an exaggeratory idiot" approach of handling things.

And events ARE free. Yes, they may cost you to get there, but the event itself is free. That sort of argument is flawed.
Except it isn't. Do you know what free means?

By your logic a Ferrari is free. The ownership is what costs money. The Ferrari itself, however, does not cost me money, what costs me money is the initial ownership, and that is not the Ferrari.

Nintendo doesn't want people to hack? Don't encourage people to do it. Things like this are what make people hack because time and time again unique things with moves or other such things that significantly alter how you may be able to play the game stay in only one country all because Nintendo has no knowledge that there's anything beyond Japan in this universe.

Cosmetic events can stay country-locked, they don't affect anything. Unique moves or other things that COULD affect how you play the game? Don't country-lock that. Because all you're doing with that is telling the rest of the world they're garbage and not worth giving real events to.

Last edited:

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
I can see that there is no reasoning with you. I have provided all the facts and logic behind it, and you're just not accepting it. You may not like it, but that's the fact.

Also, comparing the purchasing of a Ferrari is different to possibly needing to spend money to go to an event. The event itself is free, the Ferrari is not.

Also, my detailing of the Shiny Jirachi reasoning has to do with detailing the context of the event. They can't just rename it and release it as it ceases to be a contextually valid event WHICH IS IMPORTANT.

And AGAIN, it is not racial. Different divisions decide on the events in each region. Nintendo of America & The Pokémon Company International (America) decide American events, Nintendo of Europe & The Pokémon Company International (Europe) decide European events and Game Freak & The Pokémon Company decide Japanese events. They are different people making different decisions. It is NOT based on race, or preferential treatment

Trevenant

Banned
I have provided all the facts and logic behind it
Cheerleading intentionally poor practices and defending them to stay for the sake of staying because "it always has been" isn't logical or factual - it's silly.

Oh, yeah, forgot the cherry picking. You usually only pick one part of a sentence to reply to then you get oddities like this:
You:

Me:
You stopped reading after "Shiny", and obviously have no knowledge of the game if you think one move can't change how a Pokemon is played with.

Also, comparing the purchasing of a Ferrari is different to possibly needing to spend money to go to an event. The event itself is free, the Ferrari is not.
Not realy. If the event is free merely because the event itself is free (I don't know why you think it's free but whatever) then so is the Ferrari if you twist the words around to be that you're buying ownership and not the actual Ferrari.

They can't just rename it and release it as it ceases to be a contextually valid event WHICH IS IMPORTANT.
[citation needed]

Why does it need to be "contextually valid"? What defines "contextually valid"? What time of the year will it bring more money or something?

You know what's "contextually valid"? Not giving Japanese players special priviledges.

And AGAIN, it is not racial. Different divisions decide on the events in each region. Nintendo of America & The Pokémon Company International (America) decide American events, Nintendo of Europe & The Pokémon Company International (Europe) decide European events and Game Freak & The Pokémon Company decide Japanese events. They are different people making different decisions. It is NOT based on race, or preferential treatment
ITT: lala can't hear you.

So why are Japanese players time and time again given exclusive advantages only THEY have?

I also like how you think NoA/NoE are even relevant. lol.

Last edited:

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
This will be my last post because your arguments are circular and are ignoring facts, and in some cases make no sense whatsoever.

Let me say it again. Nintendo America and Europe decide the events in those regions. You may say they "aren't relevant", but in this circumstance, they are. THEY decide the events, and that's the end of it. Ergo, there are no racial connotations and no elements of favouritism. I don't know why you are struggling to accept this, perhaps because it flies in the face of the persecution complex you appear to have.

Next, context is KEY to events. It's the entire point they exist. Removing context makes the meaningless. They hold these events to celebrate specific things, and that is the reason they exist. End of discussion.

And, AGAIN, Japan isn't the only country that has had events that have special moves that are unobtainable. The US has had it too. Plus, again, Japan is not a small country. Travel is done by plane. It is large. It's not as large as the US, sure, but it's not small. So, an event in one building is limited in Japan, and most Japanese people won't get it.

Finally, your comparison in regards to cost is ridiculously flawed. I don't even know where to begin. It's making me even think that you're just trolling.

Trevenant

Banned
THEY decide the events, and that's the end of it.
How would you know this? We get VERY little events compared to Japan despite Pokemon's immense popularity worldwide. I don't think it's because NoA/NoE refuse to give out events...

Ergo, there are no racial connotations and no elements of favouritism.
Too bad the last time we got anything meaningful that was unique to us was, as you mentioned, in '03 with the Wish PCNY event.

Next, context is KEY to events. It's the entire point they exist. Removing context makes the meaningless. They hold these events to celebrate specific things, and that is the reason they exist. End of discussion.
Back to "lala I can't hear you"? LOL.
The context is profit. That's it. There's no hidden, emotional meaning. It's money. Plain and simple.

And, AGAIN, Japan isn't the only country that has had events that have special moves that are unobtainable. The US has had it too. Plus, again, Japan is not a small country. Travel is done by plane. It is large. It's not as large as the US, sure, but it's not small. So, an event in one building is limited in Japan, and most Japanese people won't get it.
You're right! It's not as big as the US - it's about as big as California. It's about as big as one of our fifty states.

And Japan has plenty of ways to get around - planes aren't the only option.

Finally, your comparison in regards to cost is ridiculously flawed. I don't even know where to begin. It's making me even think that you're just trolling.
What comparison in regards to cost? Did you use auto-correct or something? What are you talking about?