• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weezing... You Shall Forth Be Known As "Asthma Attack"! Please RMT!!!

AirHorton

Shall we battle?
The only title that I could come with based on my Weezing a.k.a "Asthma Attack". Anyway, I was in the middle of constructing the second team when I got the idea of making a third team, so I wrote it out on paper. I'd say this team has potential, although the flaws have to be pointed out. So rate away!

Gengar@Choice Scarf
Timid
Levitate
EVs: 6HP/252SP.ATK/252SPE
-Trick
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast

The infamous trickster and my lead pokemon. Choice Scarf + Timid nature makes Gengar faster than everything. He acts as my revenge killer as well. Shadow Ball is for STAB. Focus Blast is for the steel, rock, and dark types. Thunderbolt is for more coverage against pokes. I use Trick to trade my Choice Scarf, thus Gengar is no longer limited to using one move and causing problems for walls.

Gyarados@Life Orb
Adamant
Intimidate
EVs: 4HP/252ATK/252SPE
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

Gyarados is my Physical sweeper. Dragon Dance is to power up whenever I get the chance. Waterfall for STAB. Ice Fang is for the dragons. Stone Edge is for opposing Gyarados and other flying types.

Gliscor@Leftovers
Impish
Hyper Cutter
EVs: 244HP/ 36ATK/ 16DEF/ 216 SPE
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Roost

My physical tank who can quickly become a physical sweeper. I use Swords Dance to boost my attack. EQ for STAB against Adamant Lucario. Stone Edge to take care of Zapdos and Rotom. Roost away for recovering damage.

Blissey@Leftovers
Calm
Natural Cure
EVs: 80HP/252DEF/176SP.DEF
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave

My special wall. I use Aromatherapy to heal my team of any status problems. Softboiled for recovery. Seismic Toss can hit almost everything with 100 damage, seriously weakening opposing pokes. T-Wave is to bring their speed down to my level, so they can suffer a thrashing from my other pokes.

Bronzong@Leftovers/Macho Brace
Sassy/Relaxed
Levitate
EVs: 252HP/86ATK/80DEF/92SP.DEF
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Explosion

My mixed wall who is slightly more offensive to defend itself better. Set up Stealth Rock first to inflict damage later on. Gyro Ball is for STAB, but with macho brace, it will have more power due to its decreased speed. Earthquake for the electric, steel, rock, etc. Explosion is there in case Bronzong is running low on HP or to blow up a threatening pokemon, who won't expect the big bang!!!

Weezing@Leftovers
Bold
Levitate
EVs: 252DEF/ 252 HP/ 4 SP.ATK
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain Split
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

My physical wall. Will-o-wisp is to put a burden on the physical sweepers.
Pain Split for recovery. T-Bolt and Flamethrower together have good coverage.

Last edited:

randomspot555

With so many trickers going around, you'll probably be safer with Lefties on Weezing. Otherwise, it can be tricked back to one of your non-Poison guys.

Use Thunder over Thunderbolt on Weezing. It's special attack is pathetic, so Thunder will make it a little more less worthless, and you have the 30% paralysis chance on the inevitable Heatran switch in.

AirHorton

Shall we battle?
@randomspot555- Thanks for that update. I'll switch out Black Sludge for Leftovers, but I'm not so sure about Thunder. I can't really afford to miss moves, when I'm trying to set up against threatening pokemon, otherwise they'll take the advantage.

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
@randomspot555- Thanks for that update. I'll switch out Black Sludge for Leftovers, but I'm not so sure about Thunder. I can't really afford to miss moves, when I'm trying to set up against threatening pokemon, otherwise they'll take the advantage.

Weezing can afford to miss. It is a primo physical tank, and if you're leaving it in against great special attackers, well you're misusing it. So it can afford to have Thunder on there for the extra power without having to invest in SpA, which it really shouldn't.

Conversely, Gengar's the one who really can't afford to miss, so you might want to swap Focus Blast out for HP Fight.

Rhys29

Encore
Thunder should never be used in OU without Rain support. Hippowdon and T-Tar are all too common and they make Thunder pointless. Not to mention even with the high base power, it still deals less average damage than Thunderbolt, and walls need dependability. Especially Weezing as it lacks a solid recovery move since Pain Split really just does not cover it.

randomspot555

Thunder should never be used in OU without Rain support. Hippowdon and T-Tar are all too common and they make Thunder pointless. Not to mention even with the high base power, it still deals less average damage than Thunderbolt, and walls need dependability. Especially Weezing as it lacks a solid recovery move since Pain Split really just does not cover it.

The main reason Thunder should be used is the paralysis, which will be very useful on the inevitable Heatran switch in, and helps Weezng be more of a team player. As for it dealing less damag to T-Tar, no special attack from Weezing is going to hurt Tyranitar due to the massive special defense, so there's nothing that could be done anyway outside of firing away Will-o-wisps.

On the same school of thought, Weezing can learn Rain Dance. It can cancel out Sand Stream from the two aforementioned Pokes and dampen Heatran's power. There are better Rain Dancers (Kingdra) out there, but Weezing's move pool isn't extremely diverse, so it's worth considering.

As for Hippowdon being common, it was #32 in usage in January, behind Electivire and only 3 spots ahead and a couple thousand more uses than Heracross. It's something to factor into when considering leads, but Weezing isn't a lead Pokemon.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
T-Tar is #4 in OU and #2 in leads. He has no way to get rid of SS. Thus Thunder is pointless.

Your Gengar's fine. No comment as of now.

Porygon-Z might like Life Orb if he can afford the recoil. HP Fighting and Dark Pulse are good enough. Also, if you can't get HP Fighting, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt will do as a combo. If you want HP Fighting, you may want to check this link out: http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/hidden_power

I'm not sure how to get HP Fighting, I never used it. Ask a more experienced player maybe? Or just check out the link, and see if anything makes any sense. I can't understand it myself :<

Blissey seriously doesn't need a Calm nature nor does she need the Sp. Def EVs so much either. Please, you're not using any Special Attacks so get rid of the unneeded 40 Sp. Atk EVs. Get rid of the 216 Sp. Def EVs. Try putting 6 EVs in Sp. Def and 252 in HP and Defense, or maybe try putting 40 in HP and 252 in Defense and Special Defense both. I recommend the former option. Try a Bold nature, either way.

Or if you don't want to restart with Blissey, maybe you should put on Flamethrower to help against Pokes like Scizor, Skarmory and Forretress or Ice Beam for dealing with Shaymin-S and hurting Latias, or Thunderbolt for hitting Gyarados. Just pick one and dump Seismic Toss if you're too lazy to change the EVs.

Your Gyarados is okay, I guess. Maybe you could dump Ice Fang for Earthquake, it gives far better coverage and you already have SE to hit Dragons as well, although if you want a more accurate and powerful attack, stick with Ice Fang. Leftovers or Lum Berry might be a good replacement for Life Orb if you think Gyarados is a bit too frail, or too susceptible to status conditions that harm him a lot, like burns or paralysis.

Bronzong is fine, but being a bit too much on offense is not really necessary. Maybe drop Earthquake for Stealth Rock or Light Screen/Reflect? Could benefit your team more.

Weezing is mostly all right. You should get rid of Flamethrower for Fire Blast, the accuracy still isn't THAT low and it does have more power, which is good for a Pokemon with such poor Sp. Atk. Thunderbolt is fine I guess, though, but Thunder is equally good with more power and a 30% chance of paralysis, which could help tremendously. If you want to get rid of one for Haze, maybe you could get rid of Thunderbolt, and you could place Flamethrower on Blissey in compensation for the loss of power against Scizor and his Steel-type gang. No comment about Black Sludge, but it's not really that necessary. Leftovers really is better, as while it won't hurt the opponent, it can't be Tricked back to someone like a low HP-Gyarados as well to hurt him.

Fix these mistakes, and your team should be fine.

CJ0114

The Electric Trainer
Why not teach Weezing Rain Dance? Sure it's unconventional but it makes Thunder usable and also for reasons randomspot555 said. Perhaps against Tyranitar or Hippowdon, Weezing could bluff a Will-o-Wisp and watch them switch out. AirHorton would likely drop Flamethrower if he decides to use Rain Dance. If he teaches his Porygon Z Thunder then the rain would see more use. Gyarados would benefit from it too.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
yes, why not give his physical wall a useless move that allows Kingdra to rape his team? Yes, that's a great suggestion T.T

Thunderbolt is what he should use, there should be 0 discussion. It is far more beneficial to HIT you effing opponent instead of hoping to hit and still only be able to 2-3HKO almost all the same pokes.. Weezing cannot take many hits and is thus why it has been moved down to UU. It was used in the days of Heracross and that's really it. Rotom takes his spot better anyways.

Addie

(•✖•)
Porygon-Z might like Life Orb if he can afford the recoil. HP Fighting and Dark Pulse are good enough. Also, if you can't get HP Fighting, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt will do as a combo. If you want HP Fighting, you may want to check this link out: http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/hidden_power

I'm not sure how to get HP Fighting, I never used it. Ask a more experienced player maybe? Or just check out the link, and see if anything makes any sense. I can't understand it myself :<

You get Hidden Power by breeding for IVs. Different IVs give different Hidden Power types.

Blissey seriously doesn't need a Calm nature nor does she need the Sp. Def EVs so much either. Please, you're not using any Special Attacks so get rid of the unneeded 40 Sp. Atk EVs. Get rid of the 216 Sp. Def EVs. Try putting 6 EVs in Sp. Def and 252 in HP and Defense, or maybe try putting 40 in HP and 252 in Defense and Special Defense both. I recommend the former option. Try a Bold nature, either way.

You really are a new player. Blissey needs those SpD EVs to keep up with the tons of special attacks being thrown at her by threats like Focus Blast Alakazam and Aura Sphere Specs Lucario. This used to be an effective tactic (maximizing Blissey's Defense) but today, it's not. Blissey does need some Def EVs, though, so you aren't all wrong.

Kingdrom

Turn Away Again

This is incorrect. Thunder, which used to be a staple on lead Tyranitar iirc, only decreases in accuracy in the sun. Unless you're suggesting that Smogon and DP is wrong (well, you can't tell very well on Wifi, but it seems to be 70 % accurate). Thunder is a less acceptable option for other reasons though- on Pokemon like support Jirachi, Thunder can be quite useful for the extra paralysis chance. Otherwise, if the user doesn't have Serene Grace, I would use Thunderbolt over Thunder.

Porygon-Z is a poor sweeper late-game, even though his special attack is sky-high. He really needs that agility to stand a chance at sweeping lategame, and the fact that Scizor and Heatran stop Porygon-Z cold even after an Agility is enough reason not to use it. In terms of special sweepers that work well lategame, you have a few choices. Any CM Pokemon, like Jirachi, Suicune, or even Celebi tends to do well. In addition, Hidden Power: Ice Infernape does a good job at cleaning up. On the physical side, Scizor, Lucario, and even Salamence do an impeccable job at sweeping lategame. However, these Pokemon are a little frail, and don't like to switch around a lot like the rest of your team is built for.

Running Suicune alongside Gyarados would leave your entire team unable to significantly damage Vaporeon aside from Gengar. Considering that your team is susceptible to being walled easily by Rotom and Zapdos, I would consider Swords Dance Gliscor, who can switch in on either and only fears the uncommon Hydro Pump or Hp Ice, respectively. The issues with Rotom, particularly Resttalk, and Zapdos is that Blissey has no means of damaging them to the point where they would switch out. Zapdos is capable of stalling all of your Seismic Tosses out of PP, as well as every Softboiled, so it isn't exactly an easy win for Blissey 1 vs. 1, especially when you are using Blissey to wall every special attacker in existence.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Ev's: 244 Hp / 36 Atk / 16 Def / 216 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Roost

After the removal of Garchomp from OU, Gliscor is able to shine as a Swords Dancing ground type. Gliscor can switch in on Adamant Lucario and scare it out / OHKO with Earthquake, and its utility doesn't just stop there. This is the standard Smogon spread with the extra Ev's from Hp and Def put into attack to give better power after a SD or two. Stone Edge is there to dent Gyarados switch-ins as well as Salamence (this is why you want to use Hyper Cutter). Zapdos is easily set up on, with Heat Wave doing about 36%.

Blissey's spread should be 80 Hp / 252 Def / 176 Sp. Def with a calm nature. It should be using another move over Aromatherapy. If you are so worried about Status, you should be using an offensive Rest-Talker on one of your slots, preferrably a Guts Pokemon. While I don't question the utility of Aromatherapy, in this fast-paced metagame, Aromatherapy becomes a subpar choice when compared to Ice Beam or Flamethrower. Of the two, I'd suggest Ice Beam, as the OU dragons are only increasing in usage, and you have two other valid ways for dealing with Lucario and Scizor. You are also reliant on Bronzong for dealing with Salamence, and giving Blissey a way to deal with Mence helps with preventing Salamence from getting an easy Dragon Dance. Salamence won't be able to OHKO Blissey with any move that isn't boosted by CB, although LO Outrage comes close (this is the importance of the slight HP investment).

Bronzong will want to use Stealth Rock over Hypnosis. Hypnosis has less than ideal accuracy with the new Platinum changes, which will override DP's settings if you battle a Platinum user over Wifi (highly likely in the upcoming months). Stealth Rock is an incredibly useful move in that it neuters Yanmega and punishes Gyarados and Salamence for switching in, giving enough damage so that Blissey can always OHKO with Ice Beam. An early Stealth Rock significantly increases the chances of KO's, and you can design your spreads to take advantage of the extra damage. If you're really concerned about status, you -could- use Lum Berry as the item. Otherwise, Leftovers is the proper choice.

On Weezing, I would choose Fire Blast. To go along with Fire Blast, I would give some special attack investment. A spread of 252 Hp / 80 Def / 176 Sp. Atk with a Bold Nature will give you enough Special Attack to OHKO all bulky Gyarados with Thunderbolt after SR, as well as OHKO Lucario every time after LO and Stealth Rock damage has been taken into account. In addition, this gives you some recourse against Skarmory.

Your team has some slight issues with Infernape, who Gyarados deals with easily as long as he doesn't switch in on two consecutive Grass Knots. This means that you will want to be saving Gyarados for late-game to sweep, so Weezing needs to take care of Gyarados / Scizor / Lucario. You may also face some issues with teams packed with Pokemon like Heatran / Zapdos / Suicune / Celebi / Jirachi / Tyranitar, who have ample attacking power and have significant defensive prowess in terms of sweepers.

AirHorton

Shall we battle?
To The Wind Ninja: Thanks for the smogon/hp link.

To Addie: Thanks for the information on how to get HP Fighting. Since Blissey is not using any special attacks, should I switch the 40 sp.atk Evs into 40 HP Evs?

@Rhys29: Thanks for the input concerning Thunder/Thunderbolt. I'll keep Thunderbolt.

@Kingdrom- I will use this EV spread for Blissey, replace Hypnosis with Stealth Rock for Bronzong, and use SD Gliscor to substitute for Porygon-Z.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: