• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

Braviary gets rock slide. Very useful but certainly weird when compared to most flying types (there's a few that do get it but most of those are legendary, pseudo legendary or have a separate type that explains it)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Braviary gets rock slide. Very useful but certainly weird when compared to most flying types (there's a few that do get it but most of those are legendary, pseudo legendary or have a separate type that explains it)
Braviary is based on an Eagle. Several Eagles live on top of cliffs which have a lot of large rocks. Braviary knocks the rocks down to create a Rock Slide. What’s so weird about that?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Good thing about Rock Slide is that it gives Braviary a good move against those pesky ice types. It does get the boost from sheer force as well right? So that's a bonus right there.

MrJechgo

I understand that Beak Blast is Toucannon's signature move, but... Moltres (both forms), Ho-oh and Talonflame shouldbe able to learn it. The move is about heating up the beak, which... would make sense for Fire/Flying Pokémon :p

Ice Hammer is Crabominable's signature move, but... Beartic, Galarian Darmanitan, Abomasnow, Regice and any suitable Ice type which can punch could learn this.

Dragon Hammer can be learned by Alolan Exeggutor and Tropius (via breeding), but I feel like any Dragon-type which can body slam opponents could learn it.

Leafage should have been THE first Grass-type move for every single Grass starter. I dunno, I feel like Grass doesn't have "the same move archetypes" as Fire and Water. Ember and Water Gun are usually their respective starters' first moves, but Grass is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes it's Vine Whip, sometimes it's Leafage, sometimes it's Razor Leaf (o_O) and recently Grookey's move is Branch Poke. Even the Grass equivalent of Flamethrower and Surf is harder to find, as while we do have Energy Ball, Leaf Blade and Petal Blizzard, they're not 100% accessible to 100% of Grass Pokémon. Come on, Electric got a better treatment ^^;

On a sidenote, Submission should be revamped to 1) prevent the opponent from switching and 2) cause the opponent to fall asleep at 10%. Let's face it, unless it has a completely different meaning in Japanese, a submission is the equivalent of grabbing and pinning your opponent until it surrenders, and it can lose consciousness :p With these, any Pokémon which moveset resolves around grabbing could learn it.

Sacred Sword... cannot be learned by Sirfetch'd. You could argue that it already has Meteor Assault, but... its leek is a sword, come on XD

Luthor

Braviary is based on an Eagle. Several Eagles live on top of cliffs which have a lot of large rocks. Braviary knocks the rocks down to create a Rock Slide. What’s so weird about that?

fair point. Though its rare for normal/flying types to get this sort of move.

Good thing about Rock Slide is that it gives Braviary a good move against those pesky ice types. It does get the boost from sheer force as well right? So that's a bonus right there.

No doubt it is very useful and im glad it does get it. Made it into my team in unova.

MrJechgo

If we go in a more general direction
  • Steel: It is lacking moves based on swords, be slashes, thrusts and flourishes. This would be useful with Pokémon with sharp edges, like Bisharp and Corviknight.
  • Fighting: It is lacking moves based on blunt weapons like staves, nunchucks and whatnot :p This would be suitable for Conkeldurr and Sirfetch'd.
  • Grass: It is lacking more moves based on thorns, aside from Needle Arm, and Pokémon like Carnivine and Cacturne would have used more.
  • Fairy: It is lacking moves based on stars and constellations.
  • Ghost: It is lacking a healing move... when spirits have been known to drain a host's vital energy.

Last edited:

MrJechgo

Snorunt... feels like it should learn more Ghost-type Egg moves, ever since it got Froslass as an evolution. Come to think of it, all three Pokémon (Snorunt, Glalie and Froslass) don't currently have much ghostly aspects to them.

NeedsAName

Snorunt... feels like it should learn more Ghost-type Egg moves, ever since it got Froslass as an evolution. Come to think of it, all three Pokémon (Snorunt, Glalie and Froslass) don't currently have much ghostly aspects to them.
Which moves do you recommend? Shadow Punch? Shadow Sneak? Grudge?

Luthor

Orbeetle's G-Max Gravitas brings Gravity. However Orbeetle doesn't get many moves to really take advantages of the gravity's boost to accuracy. Most of its attacks have between 90-100% accuracy. It also cannot learn Gravity.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I understand that Beak Blast is Toucannon's signature move, but... Moltres (both forms), Ho-oh and Talonflame shouldbe able to learn it. The move is about heating up the beak, which... would make sense for Fire/Flying Pokémon :p
None of the fire-type birds have beaks nearly has big as toucannon's, so probably only toucannon's beak can function as a cannon for this reason.

MrJechgo

None of the fire-type birds have beaks nearly has big as toucannon's, so probably only toucannon's beak can function as a cannon for this reason.
I discovered that Beak Blast is a typical laser O_O

According to the description, nothing alludes to this: "The user first heats up its beak, and then it attacks the target. Making direct contact with the Pokémon while it's heating up its beak results in a burn."

It's also a Physical attack, not something you would expect for a ranged move.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I discovered that Beak Blast is a typical laser O_O

According to the description, nothing alludes to this: "The user first heats up its beak, and then it attacks the target. Making direct contact with the Pokémon while it's heating up its beak results in a burn."

It's also a Physical attack, not something you would expect for a ranged move.
Going by that logic, Galarian Zapdos should be able to learn Beak Blast.

MrJechgo

Going by that logic, Galarian Zapdos should be able to learn Beak Blast.
or Bolt Beak ^^;

Anyway, here's a[nother] weird one:

Stonjourner apparently "has a talent for delivering dynamic kicks." I went into Stonjourner's Pokedex page on this site, entered Ctlr + F, typed 'kick'... and only got ONE result... in the Pokedex text entry. Hmm... well, there's a problem :p

Here are all the kicking moves in the series.
Low Sweep
Double Kick
Triple Kick
Low Kick
Rolling Kick
Jump Kick
Hi Jump Kick
Mega Kick
Blaze Kick
Trop Kick
Thunderous Kick

Stonjourner doesn't learn any of these ^^;

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
or Bolt Beak ^^;

Anyway, here's a[nother] weird one:

Stonjourner apparently "has a talent for delivering dynamic kicks." I went into Stonjourner's Pokedex page on this site, entered Ctlr + F, typed 'kick'... and only got ONE result... in the Pokedex text entry. Hmm... well, there's a problem :p

Here are all the kicking moves in the series.
Low Sweep
Double Kick
Triple Kick
Low Kick
Rolling Kick
Jump Kick
Hi Jump Kick
Mega Kick
Blaze Kick
Trop Kick
Thunderous Kick

Stonjourner doesn't learn any of these ^^;
It gets Mega Kick (it’s the last move it learns by level up).

MrJechgo

It gets Mega Kick (it’s the last move it learns by level up).
I stand correctly... partially... because... it's still weird that it doesn't learn more kicking moves ^^; It's like if you have a Pokémon known for powerful punches... with only Mega Punch in its moveset, TMs and TRs included :p

There was this running gag about how Rhyhorn was known for its powerful tackles... without actually learning Tackle (mostly relying on Take Down). By Gen 8, it does learn both Tackle and Take Down.

That got me realizing that Head Charge, Bouffalant's signature move, should be reworded to remove "the guard hair", so it could be learned by more Pokémon.

Luthor

Speaking of move descriptions Here's a weird one Glare (or Snake Glare in Japanese) is generally held by snake like pokemon or at least reptilian pokemon. While a few like Helioptile aren't snakes most of them could very justifiably follow this original description "The target is transfixed with terrifying sharp eyes. The target is frightened into paralysis" from Pokemon stadium or the description from Ruby and Sapphire "Intimidates and frightens the foe into paralysis". What I find odd is in Fire red and Leaf green they changed the description to "The user intimidates the foe with the pattern on its belly to cause paralysis." which basically only makes sense for Arbok. Then the description was updated in black and white (and still to this day) to "The user intimidates the target with the pattern on its belly to cause paralysis" meaning that rather than updating the description back to something that made sense to all the users they just mildly changed the wording of Foe to Target (changing the wording to target in case the move is used on an ally I guess).

NeedsAName

Speaking of move descriptions Here's a weird one Glare (or Snake Glare in Japanese) is generally held by snake like pokemon or at least reptilian pokemon. While a few like Helioptile aren't snakes most of them could very justifiably follow this original description "The target is transfixed with terrifying sharp eyes. The target is frightened into paralysis" from Pokemon stadium or the description from Ruby and Sapphire "Intimidates and frightens the foe into paralysis". What I find odd is in Fire red and Leaf green they changed the description to "The user intimidates the foe with the pattern on its belly to cause paralysis." which basically only makes sense for Arbok. Then the description was updated in black and white (and still to this day) to "The user intimidates the target with the pattern on its belly to cause paralysis" meaning that rather than updating the description back to something that made sense to all the users they just mildly changed the wording of Foe to Target (changing the wording to target in case the move is used on an ally I guess).
I guess it could make sense for Zygarde, but your point still stands.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That got me realizing that Head Charge, Bouffalant's signature move, should be reworded to remove "the guard hair", so it could be learned by more Pokémon.
I am not sure that I want Head Charge to be on more Pokémon. I think of the move being a slightly less powerful Head Smash which is a bit more useful as it can cause Super Effective hits and you also have Skull Bash which is also an attack that utilizes the head to strike hard.