• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Lucariomen

The Flying type for Gyarados feels really awkward, when 1) Mega Gyarados is Water/Dark and 2) it feels like Water/Dragon.

In fact, the Flying type is rather poorly implemented, because several Pokémon feel like they should be Flying, but at the same time, they have to represent 2 other types, and they cannot have Levitate on top of that.

It's almost like the series need ANOTHER "stat", based on whether the Pokémon is more on Land, Sea or Air, each with their own Rock/Paper/Scissor strenghts and weaknesses.
Tell me I'm nuts, but I think Levitate should be a factor instead of an ability. That way, Pokémon that can canonically float and/or fly will have the ability to do so (Example - Jellicent & Garchomp), and many Pokémon that the Flying type was slapped into will finally be free of its odd type. Gyarados can be Water-Dragon, Gliscor can be Ground/Poison... So many possibilities! Not to include that since Levitate would no longer be an ability, Pokémon could have another ability. Tinted Lens Flygon, Drizzle Bronzong, Magic Guard Claydol, Speed Boost Vikavolt (that and a stat change; weirdly enough a Pokémon who the Pokédex states to zip through the world is slower than Grubbin), Moxie Hydreigon...

While I told all the good sides about this factor, there is also some downsides. The Ground-Type Pokémon get severely nerfed, since it can no longer spam STAB Earthquake in mostly anything since 200+ (and maybe 250+) Pokémon would be immune to it. This crisis could be easily averted by giving Ground-Type another advantage; an immunity. But to what? Poison or Rock are my best bets. Although having two immunities can seem OP, but the Ghost-Type has two and no one complains about it. Fairy-Type needs to be surpassed from the "Most OP Type" title eitherway...

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Tell me I'm nuts, but I think Levitate should be a factor instead of an ability. That way, Pokémon that can canonically float and/or fly will have the ability to do so (Example - Jellicent & Garchomp), and many Pokémon that the Flying type was slapped into will finally be free of its odd type. Gyarados can be Water-Dragon, Gliscor can be Ground/Poison... So many possibilities! Not to include that since Levitate would no longer be an ability, Pokémon could have another ability. Tinted Lens Flygon, Drizzle Bronzong, Magic Guard Claydol, Speed Boost Vikavolt (that and a stat change; weirdly enough a Pokémon who the Pokédex states to zip through the world is slower than Grubbin), Moxie Hydreigon...

I don’t know. I like Gliscor being Ground/Flying with Poison Point. I think that’s a unique combo and allows Gliscor cause poisoning without necessarily wasting a move slot.

Luthor

Another thing with Garchomp is that so many of its Pokedex entries mention it being a really good flyer "It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. It never allows its prey to escape." all that is fine as I get its inspired by a jet but what's weird to me is that there's only 1 flying move in its movepool Aerial Ace (and even that is no longer available).

MrJechgo

While I told all the good sides about this factor, there is also some downsides. The Ground-Type Pokémon get severely nerfed, since it can no longer spam STAB Earthquake in mostly anything since 200+ (and maybe 250+) Pokémon would be immune to it. This crisis could be easily averted by giving Ground-Type another advantage; an immunity. But to what? Poison or Rock are my best bets. Although having two immunities can seem OP, but the Ghost-Type has two and no one complains about it.
Yeah, that's the issue...
Fairy-Type needs to be surpassed from the "Most OP Type" title eitherway...
Have them get a weakness to Grass, so at least one of the starters' trio types would be effective.