• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

Another thing with Garchomp is that so many of its Pokedex entries mention it being a really good flyer "It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. It never allows its prey to escape." all that is fine as I get its inspired by a jet but what's weird to me is that there's only 1 flying move in its movepool Aerial Ace (and even that is no longer available).

MrJechgo

Tell me I'm nuts, but I think Levitate should be a factor instead of an ability. That way, Pokémon that can canonically float and/or fly will have the ability to do so (Example - Jellicent & Garchomp), and many Pokémon that the Flying type was slapped into will finally be free of its odd type. Gyarados can be Water-Dragon, Gliscor can be Ground/Poison... So many possibilities! Not to include that since Levitate would no longer be an ability, Pokémon could have another ability. Tinted Lens Flygon, Drizzle Bronzong, Magic Guard Claydol, Speed Boost Vikavolt (that and a stat change; weirdly enough a Pokémon who the Pokédex states to zip through the world is slower than Grubbin), Moxie Hydreigon...

While I told all the good sides about this factor, there is also some downsides. The Ground-Type Pokémon get severely nerfed, since it can no longer spam STAB Earthquake in mostly anything since 200+ (and maybe 250+) Pokémon would be immune to it. This crisis could be easily averted by giving Ground-Type another advantage; an immunity. But to what? Poison or Rock are my best bets. Although having two immunities can seem OP, but the Ghost-Type has two and no one complains about it.
Yeah, that's the issue...
Fairy-Type needs to be surpassed from the "Most OP Type" title eitherway...
Have them get a weakness to Grass, so at least one of the starters' trio types would be effective.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I never thought of it before, but now I don't understand how Kunugidama (Pineco) can learn Bug Bite starting in Gen IV despite it lacking a mouth.

Luthor

When it comes to Bug Bite the amusing one for me is Heatmor. Which I can only imagine gets it because it bites a bug rather than being a bug that bites. I do see the logic even if its still slightly weird.

sampleswift

Can't
Honedge and Doublade: Guillotine (Works with their biology. No guard OHKO move would probably be OP, though).
Garchomp: Dragon Dance and Fly although these have probably been stated before.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
But their pre-evolved forms at least have mouthparts [most noticeably in the anime], so it makes sense to me that Transel (Metapod) and Cocoon (Kakuna) would retain that attack from their base stages even if their own anatomy makes it strange. But Kunugidama (Pineco) has no excuse.
For those who doubt bees have teeth then you need to brush up on nature anatomy

I just noticed that the Sableye that i received today just now can learn Dazzling Gleam in Ultra Sun. A move from a typing perfectly designed to defeat Dark/Ghost types like Sableye and Spiritomb since nothing could hurt them super effectively before Gen 6. And i was just scrolling through my ultra sun moves since it was level 14.

I'm still learning something everyday from older games when sword and shield never tested it on him even after getting the dex finished 300%.
I never checked this in omega ruby and alpha sapphire or x and y. It even knows this in all 3ds games i own. I really need to brush up on my knowledge. o_O

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nobody's denying that real life bees have mandibles: my counter argument about the cocoon stages of those aforementioned pupal Pokemon is that they don't have visible mouths, and probably wouldn't need them anyway since they're meant to be a short transitional stage between larva and adult. So the idea that they can bite an opponent in battle while inside their cocoons is bizarre even by Pokemon standards.

Unless we're meant to believe that they break out of their cocoons just to use Bug Bite, which I suppose isn't implausible, just never actually seen in either the games or anime as far as I'm aware.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
But their pre-evolved forms at least have mouthparts [most noticeably in the anime], so it makes sense to me that Transel (Metapod) and Cocoon (Kakuna) would retain that attack from their base stages even if their own anatomy makes it strange. But Kunugidama (Pineco) has no excuse.
Pineco's got a few dex entries that state it's an ambush predator, so its getting bug bite probably makes as much sense as weedle (which doesn't have a visible mouth either, but pretty clearly has one which doesn't show up, considering its dex entry says it chews leaves). Most likely it's just got a mouth hidden between a couple of its bark flaps that it can chomp through (which it at least could plausibly lift, as the flaps don't completely enclose it as silcoon and cascoon's cocoons do).

It's a bit harder to picture it managing that as a forretress, but then again, moves which only make sense on the unevolved form have a precedent of being grandfathered into the evolved form (and I guess forretress could always shut its shell to clamp an opponent instead).

MrJechgo

While it's still up in the air that Hisuian Arcanine (if that's gonna be Hisuian Growlithe's evo at all), I'm hoping for Rock Head, because ooooh boy would a Flare Blitz/Head Smash combo be devastating O_O "Recoil? What's that?"

I don't expect it to be a Special Attacker, considering how there are... two Special Rock moves. If it has an ability to treat Physical Moves as Special Moves (and use the Special Attack stat), that would be a good deal.

Then again... Accelerock seems like a no-brainer for Arcanine, considering it has Extremespeed.

Luthor

Here's a fun one Aerodactyl, Crobat, Gliscor and Naganadel can all learn Sky attack. Now on the face of this nothing of this seems weird for these 4. However when I remember that the Japanese name of the move is "God Bird" it amuses me.

Last edited:

Lucariomen

Here's a fun one Aerodactyl, Crobat, Gliscor and Naganadel can all learn Sky attack. Now on the face of this nothing of this seems for these 4. However when I remember that the Japanese name of the move is "God Bird" it amuses me.
Ah yes, the god birds, dragon, bat, scorpion and wasp

MrJechgo

Oddly enough, it was supposed to be the signature move for Moltres back in Gen 1, but they made it a TM, and it became "exclusive" to Moltres only in Gen 2. I guess that they planned Sky Attack to be a signature move for Moltres (hence the name), but decided to make it a TM, probably because there wasn't any other Flying-type move available. For the record, while Fly is a HM, Sky Attack is the ONLY Flying move as a TM back in Gen 1.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
While it's still up in the air that Hisuian Arcanine (if that's gonna be Hisuian Growlithe's evo at all), I'm hoping for Rock Head, because ooooh boy would a Flare Blitz/Head Smash combo be devastating O_O "Recoil? What's that?"
Now you mention, it's quite powerful.

Also, worthy noting normal!Arcanine can learn Wild Charge o_O

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't see Hisui Arcanine getting both Rock Head and Head Smash, Game Freak is smart enough not to allow that combo on something as fast as Arcanine because it'd be too broken, especially with Flare Blitz and Wild Charge access. Sudowoodo gets away with it because it's really slow and especially its special defence is poor. That said, Fire/Rock is offensively very strong especially with Wild Charge coverage. Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Wild Charge, potentially Accelerock there too, with Arcanine's stats would be powerful

Last edited:

MrJechgo

I don't see Hisui Arcanine getting both Rock Head and Head Smash, Game Freak is smart enough not to allow that combo on something as fast as Arcanine because it'd be too broken, especially with Flare Blitz and Wild Charge access. Sudowoodo gets away with it because it's really slow and especially it's special defence is poor. That said, Fire/Rock is offensively very strong especially with Wild Charge coverage. Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Wild Charge, potentially Accelerock there too, with Arcanine's stats would be powerful
The main problem is that Fire lacks Physical moves and Rock lacks Special moves... What to do?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The main problem is that Fire lacks Physical moves and Rock lacks Special moves... What to do?
Flare Blitz is fine for Arcanine, regular Arcanine is a very powerful Pokémon already with it and it often already runs physical. Adding Rock STAB mostly amplifies its power even further

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, look-wise it does seem like a pokémon where Head Smash would work. Now, the question is the ability.

But I dunno, a broken Arcanine with Rock Head and all the recoil moves the normal one might be broken but at least would give the "legendary pokémon" moniker a bit more credit. Then we could joke about it being so broken it end up being lazy and devolving into the Arcanine we know today :p

Luthor

Oddly enough, it was supposed to be the signature move for Moltres back in Gen 1, but they made it a TM, and it became "exclusive" to Moltres only in Gen 2. I guess that they planned Sky Attack to be a signature move for Moltres (hence the name), but decided to make it a TM, probably because there wasn't any other Flying-type move available. For the record, while Fly is a HM, Sky Attack is the ONLY Flying move as a TM back in Gen 1.

Interesting. I wonder if that's the reason only Galarian Moltres of the Galarian legendary birds gets sky attack. I've always found it a bit odd neither Galarian Articuno and Galarian Zapdos don't get the move but perhaps its a bit of a callback.