• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

It could also be because Pikachu uses a surf board in Let's Go, more as a nod.

Here's a big one: Enamorus (Legends) is Fairy/Flying... with ZERO Flying moves, not even Gust, Air Slash or Hurricane...

Its actually similar with Thundurus and Landorus who get very limited flying moves despite being in way more games. At least Enamorus has the excuse of only being in a game with a limited movepool. The only member of the forces of nature who gets a variety of flying coverage is Tornadus . I guess because its the pure flying one and thus has no other moves of its type they decided to not give the other members much. But that has always seemed odd to me.

Last edited:

Akashin

It could also be because Pikachu uses a surf board in Let's Go, more as a nod.

Here's a big one: Enamorus (Legends) is Fairy/Flying... with ZERO Flying moves, not even Gust, Air Slash or Hurricane...
Not for nothing, but Tornadus is the only Force of Nature who does get a Flying move in LA. Presumably Enamorous will have a wider movepool more similar to the others in different games.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Most relevant Flying moves that Enamorous could possibly get are in PLA, though. There's a chance it gets Bounce or Fly, but Air Slash, Brave Bird and Hurricane are probably ruled out, and things like Dual Wingbeat seem unlikely given its notable lack of wings.

Also Pokemon like Landorus and Gyarados lacking viable physical Flying STABs is more of an issue of the fact that most physical Flying moves are specific to bird-like Pokemon, or at least Pokemon with wings/beaks. Flying could use a new move or two to fill this gap in a bit.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I find it weird some Fairy Pokemon like Jigglypuff and Clefairy can learn Flamethrower through TM. I just honestly can't imagine these small Fairies being able to breathe fire. Slowpoke, too. I suppose TMs aren't "natural" and they're manmade anyway, so no one would teach these moves to those Pokemon to start with.

Luthor

Beautifly can't learn Air Slash in most games it has appeared in and has only just got the move now. I assumed it could always get it since it does get Air Cutter, Whirlwind, Defog and Gust.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Manaphy in Legends Arceus doesn't learn Tail Glow. This move is essential to power it up. Was it too broken/powerful to be used in Legends Arceus?

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
Manaphy in Legends Arceus doesn't learn Tail Glow. This move is essential to power it up. Was it too broken/powerful to be used in Legends Arceus?
Is Tail Glow on another Pokemon..? Maybe they did not add Taill Glow on the moveset of PLA. But yeah without it, Manaphy loses one of its claims to fame in competitive battling.

Pokefan_1987

I find it weird some Fairy Pokemon like Jigglypuff and Clefairy can learn Flamethrower through TM. I just honestly can't imagine these small Fairies being able to breathe fire. Slowpoke, too. I suppose TMs aren't "natural" and they're manmade anyway, so no one would teach these moves to those Pokemon to start with.
Jigglypuff and Clefairy started as Normal. AKA the Jack-of-all-trades of TM moves species.

In that regard Skuntank learns Flamethrower as level up. Why would that pokemon learn it most of the counters to it don't have a fire weakness except grass types like Venusaur is tanking hits?

Luthor

My guess is in addition to its power its a combination of tail glow not being used by any of the other Pokemon in-game and that were giving it and Phione a signature boosting move (at least for now) and wanted to show that off.

Pokefan_1987

My guess is in addition to its power its a combination of tail glow not being used by any of the other Pokemon in-game and that were giving it and Phione a signature boosting move (at least for now) and wanted to show that off.

Tail Glow isn't that unique Manaphy was a mythical since Gen 3 and Volbeat (lvl 22) and Xurkitree (lvl 1 with Move Reminder) can actually use it Tail Glow. Only difference is that Volbeat and Xurkitree don't exist in Sinnoh because Volbeat who is from the humid Hoenn region which from many years AFTER Hisui period. and Xurkitree being a Ultra Beast.
So boosting Move or not... would that just be the same as "Lets just stop the idea about giving Hisuian Starters getting their exclusive moves then."
Infernal Parade (Typhlosion) Triple Arrows (Decidueye) and Ceaseless Edge (Samurott) respectively?

Luthor

Tail Glow isn't that unique Manaphy was a mythical since Gen 3 and Volbeat (lvl 22) and Xurkitree (lvl 1 with Move Reminder) can actually use it Tail Glow. Only difference is that Volbeat and Xurkitree don't exist in Sinnoh because Volbeat who is from the humid Hoenn region which from many years AFTER Hisui period. and Xurkitree being a Ultra Beast.
So boosting Move or not... would that just be the same as "Lets just stop the idea about giving Hisuian Starters getting their exclusive moves then."
Infernal Parade (Typhlosion) Triple Arrows (Decidueye) and Ceaseless Edge (Samurott) respectively?

I'd say its more like how in Legends Arceus Typhlosion doesn't get eruption but does get other fire type moves like Overheat (which it now gets naturally) and a new signature move of its new type. Some Pokemon just don't have their best moves in that game but at least get something that fills a role.

MrJechgo

Here's hoping that Legends attacks will be slapped on other Pokémon in SV:
  • Barb Barrage: Beedril, Cacturne and Toxapex
  • Chloroblast, Mountain Gale, Raging Fury, Sandsear Storm, Headlong Rush, Wave Crash, Wildbolt Storm, Bitter Malice : a LOT of Pokémon, going with respective types
  • Stone Axe: any Pokémon with blade-like appendages, like Aegislash, Sirfetch'd and Leavanny
  • Esper Wing: Xatu
  • Dire Claw: any Pokémon with claws
  • Infernal Parade: Chandelure

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Here's hoping that Legends attacks will be slapped on other Pokémon in SV:
  • Barb Barrage: Beedril, Cacturne and Toxapex
  • Chloroblast, Mountain Gale, Raging Fury, Sandsear Storm, Headlong Rush, Wave Crash, Wildbolt Storm, Bitter Malice : a LOT of Pokémon, going with respective types
  • Stone Axe: any Pokémon with blade-like appendages, like Aegislash, Sirfetch'd and Leavanny
  • Esper Wing: Xatu
  • Dire Claw: any Pokémon with claws
  • Infernal Parade: Chandelure
Stone Axe I can only see the Honedge and Pawnard lines getting as Sirfetch’d uses a sword and an axe as a weapon involves a different type of combat style that doesn’t suit it very well and Leavanny’s arms are more like scissors and it never uses them as swords or and other type of blade weapon.

MrJechgo

Stone Axe I can only see the Honedge and Pawnard lines getting as Sirfetch’d uses a sword and an axe as a weapon involves a different type of combat style that doesn’t suit it very well and Leavanny’s arms are more like scissors and it never uses them as swords or and other type of blade weapon.
Leavanny learns Swords Dance, Slash, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab, Air Slash, Throat Chop and Cut... Pretty sure that could work.

Kabutops, Armaldo, Crustle, Terrakion and Drednaw could learn Stone Axe.

On a sidenote, Aegislash can learn Sacred Sword, but as of Gen 8, the move's description is still "The user attacks by slicing with a long horn. The target's stat changes don't affect this attack's damage."

I would expect some moves to evolve and expand in learnability.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Beautifly can't learn Air Slash in most games it has appeared in and has only just got the move now. I assumed it could always get it since it does get Air Cutter, Whirlwind, Defog and Gust.
The omission of Air Slash is why Beautifly wasn’t as great as the other butterfly Pokémon for a long time. Butterfree gets Air Slash, and Vivillon has Hurricane to make use of Compound Eyes’ accuracy boost. It’s so weird.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Jigglypuff and Clefairy started as Normal. AKA the Jack-of-all-trades of TM moves species.
Not to mention, being fairies, it makes sense they can do a bunch of supernatural stuff, fairies being magical 'n' all.

In that regard Skuntank learns Flamethrower as level up. Why would that pokemon learn it most of the counters to it don't have a fire weakness except grass types like Venusaur is tanking hits?
That's one of those moves which probably isn't given to it to provide it strategic advantage so much as it fits its theme. Skuntank emits noxious gases, so it makes sense that they'd be flammable and be able to be used to start a fire. It's kind of like phanpy getting water gun by move tutor in Crystal. Irrelevant strategy-wise, but it suits the pokémon, so why not?

Pokefan_1987

Not to mention, being fairies, it makes sense they can do a bunch of supernatural stuff, fairies being magical 'n' all.

That's one of those moves which probably isn't given to it to provide it strategic advantage so much as it fits its theme. Skuntank emits noxious gases, so it makes sense that they'd be flammable and be able to be used to start a fire. It's kind of like phanpy getting water gun by move tutor in Crystal. Irrelevant strategy-wise, but it suits the pokémon, so why not?
Elephants do drink a lot of water because of the heat. But the Copperajah line seems to break that elephant trend.

Luthor

The omission of Air Slash is why Beautifly wasn’t as great as the other butterfly Pokémon for a long time. Butterfree gets Air Slash, and Vivillon has Hurricane to make use of Compound Eyes’ accuracy boost. It’s so weird.

Yeah. Even Mothim has had Air Slash since gen 4. I hope they keep it as a regular part of Beautify's movepool moving forward. I also find it a bit surprising that Dutox and Venomoth don't get Air Slash considering that their fellow non-flying type Moth Frosmoth does get the move.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Elephants do drink a lot of water because of the heat. But the Copperajah line seems to break that elephant trend.
Copperajah probably can't spray water because it's got a shovel for a trunk.

MrJechgo

If there's something odd about Copperajah, it's how it doesn't learn Smart Strike, when its tusks could be usable.