• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Riolu naturally being able to learn Aura Sphere as a level up move in Pokémon Legends Arceus is a nice callback to the second Pokémon Ranger game and brings things full circle.
I think the Aura Sphere is supposed to be a Attack based dragonballs projectiles created from the users inner Ki aura. It's not that surprising for a pokemon heavily based on physical combat.

Luthor

The fact that Shedinja no longer learns Swords Dance despite being a TM and TR in various games. In gen 3 and gen 4 you could get it to know the move by evolving Nincada at the right level. I thought they would eventually give it back to Shedinja but so far they haven't.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
The fact that Shedinja no longer learns Swords Dance despite being a TM and TR in various games. In gen 3 and gen 4 you could get it to know the move by evolving Nincada at the right level. I thought they would eventually give it back to Shedinja but so far they haven't.
Neither Nincada or Shedinja have never been able to learn Swords Dance. Only Ninjask can learn Swords Dance.

Luthor

Neither Nincada or Shedinja have never been able to learn Swords Dance. Only Ninjask can learn Swords Dance.

To quote bulbapedia prior to gen 5 if Nincada learns a move upon evolving into Ninjask, Shedinja will also know this move. This means that Shedinja can learn any of Ninjask's level up moves starting at level 20, but can only simultaneously have multiple of them if they are learned at the same level. From Generation V onward, Shedinja starts with the moves Nincada knew prior to evolution. So technically it can't learn the move but it used to have a way to access them.

Pokefan_1987

It's barely even worth trying to teach it if a move tutor was allowed to teach in newer games.
Shedinja is barely able to outspeed anything (with a abysmal speed of 40 only Stakataka is worse at 13 speed) long enough to set up any amount of sword dances. Unless the user can predict what moves the enemy is using or other types the enemy has in waiting.

Ninjask is more powerful on the otherhand, if it can survive long enough to get a sword dances off and speed boosts off and use Baton Pass.

Luthor

It's barely even worth trying to teach it if a move tutor was allowed to teach in newer games.
Shedinja is barely able to outspeed anything (with a abysmal speed of 40 only Stakataka is worse at 13 speed) long enough to set up any amount of sword dances. Unless the user can predict what moves the enemy is using or other types the enemy has in waiting.

Ninjask is more powerful on the otherhand, if it can survive long enough to get a sword dances off and speed boosts off and use Baton Pass.

On that I'll have to admit its true but then again if you are using Shedinja and you'd likely need to be good at predictions to use effectively regardless given how many things can knock it out. But some people like the challenge. I guess they could give it Shell Smash (as it is technically a shell and slightly extra speed would more useful defences than it doesn't use ) but that might be a bit odd given that the shell is its entire body and it might make it easier to steal a trainer's soul.

Pokefan_1987

Just learned something. Sylveon takes a long time to get it's first damaging Fairy move Moonblast at level 39 :( Even for being the poster child for Fairy types it doesn't learn any other damaging dealing Fairy moves like Dazzling Gleam naturally. You have to beat Valerie. (I beat her last night) to teach it.
Disarming Voice is weak and requires a move reminder but by reaching this late point it's not worth re-learning that.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Just learned something. Sylveon takes a long time to get it's first damaging Fairy move Moonblast at level 39 :( Even for being the poster child for Fairy types it doesn't learn any other damaging dealing Fairy moves like Dazzling Gleam naturally. You have to beat Valerie. (I beat her last night) to teach it.
Disarming Voice is weak and requires a move reminder but by reaching this late point it's not worth re-learning that.
It gets Fairy Wind and Draining Kiss earlier on, Fairy Wind is there when it evolves. It also gets Swift quite early on which works with Pixilate

Pokefan_1987

Odd mine never got the Fairy Wind prompt only had Moonblast. My male Sylveon (only one) has the Cute Charm ability, rendering Pixilate not a option. I'm not gonna bother spending several hours playing around in Amie only to possibly get the wrong Ability again on a new Sylveon since he's level 70 now.
I'm also late into game having caught Xerneas in my second ever X and Y playthrough. It would need the move re-learner but Fairy Wind and Disarming Voice are both too weak for being useful.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Tyranitar should be able to learn Wild Charge, but can’t.
Just because Wild Charge is described as it having the user ram itself into its target and Tyranitar has been seen in the anime attacking in a similar fashion doesn’t mean it needs to get every attack based on tackling or ramming its body into its opponents. Rampardos doesn’t get Head Charge and it has been shown in the anime lowering its head and charging at its opponents for an attack which is exactly how Head Charge is described.

Last edited:

Luthor

Why should it be able to, though? The description states "The user shrouds itself in electricity and smashes into its target," and Tyranitar is a Rock/Dark-type with no allusion towards electrical abilities...

Tyranitar does get Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, Thunder, Thunder Wave, Thunder fang and Thunder punch so it wouldn't exactly surprise me if they gave it Wild Charge but its not what I'd consider an important move for it to get.

Luthor

Just because Wild Charge is described as it having the user ram itself into its target and Tyranitar has been seen in the anime attacking in a similar fashion doesn’t mean it needs to get every attack based on tackling or ramming its body into its opponents. Rampardos doesn’t get Head Charge and it has been shown in the anime lowering its head and charging at its opponents for an attack which is exactly how Head Charge is described.

For me there's two reasons Rampardos doesn't get Head Charge firstly the description of the move is technically "The user charges its head into its target, using its powerful guard hair. It also damages the user a little." as Rapardos doesn't have any hair it doesn't match the description (but to be fair there's been inaccurate descriptions before) and the second is the Japanese move's name is Afro Break and Rampardos doesn't have an Afro (or any hair). I suspect its a combination of those two reasons. Technically they could give Rampardos the move (after all Dusknoir can learn still Mega Kick by TM despite no legs) but I suspect given that its a signature move they will be reluctant to give it to another Pokemon unless its also got an Afro.

Pokefan_1987

Shiftry/Nuzleaf's base movepool in Gen 6 is just terrible. Here is what i ended up with after using TM's

EDIT: Didn't know Nuzleaf gets Leaf Blade at level 28 but not listed for Shiftry himself?...I hope i can get it from the Move Reminder in Dendemille City after Shiftry gets from level 20 to 28

Energy Ball
Razor Leaf
Swords Dance
Dark Pulse

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Tyrantrum can use charm. A giant ferocious dinosaur starts acting cute in the middle of a battle.
There's plenty of instances where a pokemon that uses charm or tail whip or, even attract even in strange cases. Whitney's Miltank is one of the most obnoxious attract users.

Luthor

There's plenty of instances where a pokemon that uses charm or tail whip or, even attract even in strange cases. Whitney's Miltank is one of the most obnoxious attract users.

One Infamous example is Cyrogonal. Cryogonal is gender unknown and thus the move will always fail. Attract currently always fails when used by a gender unknown Pokemon.

Tsukisha

Diggersby: Drill Run
This is basically weird since the Pokémon itself is intended to be a professional digger. With those ears I think Diggersby shouldn't have issues to execute that move, yet it can't.

Emboar: Drain Punch
Does the Unova region hate its own Fire/Fighting starter Pokémon? I think yes. Conkeldurr can do this, Emboar can't, yet they both are from Unova and have a thick shape... and the fifth generation starter's final evolution totally needs some signature move to be distinguished from Blaziken and Infernape.

Calyrex (Ice Rider): Psycho Cut
Shadow Rider can do this, Ice Rider can't. It doesn't make sense, since the former is special attack oriented while the latter is attack oriented.
In addition to that, Ice Rider is slow, meaning that it can't even use Zen Headbutt at the best of its property.