• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That was the norm for stone evolutions until Gen VII. They didn't really get moves, their pre-evolutions did.
Eelektross suffers from this the most. Eelektrik is the only member in the line that gets new moves via level up.

Luthor

Emboar: Drain Punch
Does the Unova region hate its own Fire/Fighting starter Pokémon? I think yes. Conkeldurr can do this, Emboar can't, yet they both are from Unova and have a thick shape... and the fifth generation starter's final evolution totally needs some signature move to be distinguished from Blaziken and Infernape.

Emboar is still lacking a lot of moves I think it should get like drain punch and close combat. What I find truly weird about it is that when it was first introduced it's pokedex entry was "it can throw a fire punch by setting its fists on fire with its fiery chin". Despite that it could not get fire punch until the sequels and in most games without move tutors it can't get the move at all without transfer

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Emboar: Drain Punch
Does the Unova region hate its own Fire/Fighting starter Pokémon? I think yes. Conkeldurr can do this, Emboar can't, yet they both are from Unova and have a thick shape... and the fifth generation starter's final evolution totally needs some signature move to be distinguished from Blaziken and Infernape.
Technically Heat Crash is the Tepig lines signature move https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Heat_Crash_(move) but then the Rolycoly line came along and stole that accolade. However Emboar can learn Body Slam and Heavy Slam as Egg Moves. Body Slam in particular would be ideal in it's learning move pool to fit the wrestling theme.

In Gen 8 Heat Crash became a TR Move for these...

Charizard, Rhydon, Snorlax, Mew, Blaziken, Torkoal, Groudon, Rhyperior, Heatran, Regigigas, Golurk, Reshiram, Volcanion, Incineroar, Turtonator, Solgaleo, Guzzlord, Stakataka, Sizzlipede, Centiskorch, Stonjourner and Copperajah.

Pokefan_1987

Same for Pelipper. Gets only Shock Wave but no other Electric move.
Gardevoir can also get Shockwave with TM usage. Probably since electricity is similar to the crackling effect of shadow ball.
It was handy in my Brilliant Diamond since Flint's Drifloon has Minimize cutting his options in half.

And if you don't have a well trained level Raichu/Luxray or hard hitters like Magnezone or Electivire or the gift Mew in this
game then Gardevoir is a excellent special attack user.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Gardevoir can also get Shockwave with TM usage. Probably since electricity is similar to the crackling effect of shadow ball.
It was handy in my Brilliant Diamond since Flint's Drifloon has Minimize cutting his options in half.

And if you don't have a well trained level Raichu/Luxray or hard hitters like Magnezone or Electivire or the gift Mew in this
game then Gardevoir is a excellent special attack user.
Gardevoir actually does learn Thunderbolt. It’s a coverage move I often used on Gardevoir in most of my in-game play.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Considering that it currently doesn’t have any coverage moves for Dark types, Lugia should learn Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam.

Pokefan_1987

Gardevoir actually does learn Thunderbolt. It’s a coverage move I often used on Gardevoir in most of my in-game play.
Still Shockwave is better against Flint's Lopunny. It bypasses accuracy checks and evasion boosts gained from Minimize...making spamming that move worthless.
In BDSP the developers probably expected this. They gave Flint's Rapidash Poison Jab, so it's bad idea to send Gardevoir out before Rapidash is K.O'ed.
Oddly enough Drifblim does not have Ominous Wind...and he ditches both Drifblim and Lopunny in all rematches in BDSP.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Was leveling a Marill into Azumarill in Omega Ruby for the pokedex, turns out both Marill and Azumarill can't learn Dazzling Gleam. They only get Play Rough as a Fairy move. Gothita's DexNav found in the same area is nearly impossible to boost the DexNav to a high enough search level to find it.
I hate the DexNav exclusives.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Was leveling a Marill into Azumarill in Omega Ruby for the pokedex, turns out both Marill and Azumarill can't learn Dazzling Gleam. They only get Play Rough as a Fairy move.
Dedenne is in the same situation, getting Play Rough as its sole Fairy STAB. While Azumarill has Huge Power to make use of it, Dedenne’s stats favour special rather than physical attacks, making it useless.

Luthor

Dedenne is in the same situation, getting Play Rough as its sole Fairy STAB. While Azumarill has Huge Power to make use of it, Dedenne’s stats favour special rather than physical attacks, making it useless.

if I remember correctly I think Dedenne did finally get Dazzling Gleam in Sword and Shield but given that was only by TR it may not have it in the future so your point still is fair. Why it isn't a level up move for it I have no idea and why it doesn't get any other fairy moves beyond Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough and Charm (which does no damage) makes no sense to me.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
if I remember correctly I think Dedenne did finally get Dazzling Gleam in Sword and Shield but given that was only by TR it may not have it in the future so your point still is fair. Why it isn't a level up move for it I have no idea and why it doesn't get any other fairy moves beyond Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough and Charm (which does no damage) makes no sense to me.
It’s weird movepool choices like this that make you question if it even is a Fairy-type to begin with.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Was leveling a Marill into Azumarill in Omega Ruby for the pokedex, turns out both Marill and Azumarill can't learn Dazzling Gleam. They only get Play Rough as a Fairy move.
and Gothita's DexNav in the same area is nearly impossible to boost the DexNav to a high enough search level to find it. I hate this DexNav exclusives mechanic.
Well Marill can learn Draining Kiss via TM which is a pretty good damaging move and reliable way to restore HP. Stack it up with Aqua Ring and have it hold a Big Root and you could have Marill go from being in the red to almost full health in one turn.

Pokefan_1987

Well Marill can learn Draining Kiss via TM which is a pretty good damaging move and reliable way to restore HP. Stack it up with Aqua Ring and have it hold a Big Root and you could have Marill go from being in the red to almost full health in one turn.
Silly Marill line doesn't learn the Draining Kiss in Omega Ruby. I also rarely rely on recovery moves over healing items which is more convenient use since i don't ever battle online

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
What always bothered me was that in Gen 1 (Pokemon Red/Blue) that Charizard could not learn Fly despite the fact it has wings on it.