• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Doduo is one of the weirdest ones. No wings on it to explain flying..
I've seen how it flies in Stadium in a video and it's... ridiculous. I have no idea how Doduo can fly. This has to be a joke on Game Freak's part.

Like Final Gambit Shedinja. Why can it learn that? It won't do more than one damage!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Most Dragon types can learn Surf so it’s not that weird for Hydreigon to learn it. Even several Pokémon who aren’t Dragon or Water types can learn Surf. (Tyranitar, Rhydon, Aggron, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Tauros, Lugia, etc.)
I've heard it suggested that pokémon in the monster breeding group might often be able to use surf as a reference to kaijus (which a lot of the pokémon in the monster breeding group resemble) causing natural disasters such as tsunamis. Lugia also lives underwater, so it getting a water move isn't all that weird.

No clue why tauros gets it though.

Luthor

Doduo is one of the weirdest ones. No wings on it to explain flying..

There is actually an explanation. With Dodrio its stated from Pokemon Snap "It can jump so high with its powerful legs, it may as well be flying!". Essentially its just so good at jumping it can "fly" (or fall with style). It's weird but its an explanation.

If you want weirder when it comes to Dodrio for me its how it uses Wing attack or Steel wing without wings.

Trillion

i was updating the movesets for some of my pokemon about three or so days ago and discovered that my cobalion can learn volt switch. seems like such a random move for it to be able to learn lol

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
i was updating the movesets for some of my pokemon about three or so days ago and discovered that my cobalion can learn volt switch. seems like such a random move for it to be able to learn lol
Resolute Keldeo has access to Sunny Day but no other fire moves and i doubt it can get Hidden Power Fire

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Resolute Keldeo has access to Sunny Day but no other fire moves and i doubt it can get Hidden Power Fire
With that logic, Keldeo should be able to use Max Flare, but can’t due to Sunny Day being a move that powers up Fire type moves for five turns and not being a move that damages the opponent.

Pokefan_1987

With that logic, Keldeo should be able to use Max Flare, but can’t due to Sunny Day being a move that powers up Fire type moves for five turns and not being a move that damages the opponent.
I just went over all of the swords of justice moves and one member stands out. Virizion, she learns Sunny Day as well. Keldeo is like a attempt to give it a possible backup role for setting up the sun to power up Virizion's solar blade and solar beam faster in double battles in the new games.

They have the same Speed of 108. But Keldeo has the 129 Sp. Attack compared to Virizion's 129 Sp Defense.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Keldeo can have Hidden Power Fire in games where Hidden Power is still an accessible move (I.E. not Sword/Shield).

Besides in Sword/Shield, the only restriction on Hidden Power is that Pokemon in the Undiscovered egg group (I.E. Legendaries, Mythicals, and Ultra Beasts) who originated in Gens 6 or 7 can never have Hidden Power Fighting, as as of X/Y, all Pokemon encountered in that egg group are guaranteed to have at least 3 perfect IVs of 31, and Hidden Power Fighting requires at least 4 even IVs. So it's impossible to have, say, an Xerneas with Hidden Power Fighting, as Xerneas is guaranteed to have at least 3 perfect IVs in every game it has been available in.

Pokefan_1987

Just caught a Nihilego and sadly it gets very few rock moves in Gen 7

USUM Learnset: Power Gem Stealth Rock and Head Smash (Only good as a Z-Move)

TM: Only Sandstorm and Stealth Rock

Gen 8 TM (Level moves are unchanged) Rock Slide and Rock Tomb. And Meteor Beam with tutor.

But it never gets other moves like Stone Edge or Rock Blast. I'd say it is barely a Rock type despite it being it's first type.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Nigilego shouldn't bother with physical attacks anyway, its special attack is way better. Power Gem is fine as a Rock move

Luthor

Just caught a Nihilego and sadly it gets very few rock moves in Gen 7

USUM Learnset: Power Gem Stealth Rock and Head Smash (Only good as a Z-Move)

TM: Only Sandstorm and Stealth Rock

Gen 8 TM (Level moves are unchanged) Rock Slide and Rock Tomb. And Meteor Beam with tutor.

But it never gets other moves like Stone Edge or Rock Blast. I'd say it is barely a Rock type despite it being it's first type.

Yeah I'll admit it probably should get more more rock type moves even if they aren't that useful. I'd give it ancient power as its the only special move option left it doesn't get and a status option like wide-guard. In general I think there should be more rock typed special moves.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Yeah I'll admit it probably should get more more rock type moves even if they aren't that useful. I'd give it ancient power as its the only special move option left it doesn't get and a status option like wide-guard. In general I think there should be more rock typed special moves.
Most rock types are as physicals But Nihilego not getting a lot of rock moves? It could have been created as a poison type and the maybe rock type is just to give it defensive resistance?

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

New oddity why can Emboar learn Scald, a water move? is he just spitting flammable alcohol?

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
I find it weird how Gyarados can learn Flamethrower despite the fact its literally a Water type Pokemon and I also find it really shocking how Yanmega cannot learn fly despite it LITERALLY has wings on it.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I find it weird how Gyarados can learn Flamethrower despite the fact its literally a Water type Pokemon and I also find it really shocking how Yanmega cannot learn fly despite it LITERALLY has wings on it.
Gyrados learning Flamethrower I’ve always believed was because it is based on a Chinese dragon which is said to have elemental powers.

Luthor

Gyrados learning Flamethrower I’ve always believed was because it is based on a Chinese dragon which is said to have elemental powers.

Plus while it is a mainly inspired by a Chinese dragon I could also see it having some influence from western dragons (who often breath fire) as pokemon can take inspiration from multiple sources and in more modern of interpretations of Chinese dragons they have been more commonly depicted associated with fire for similar reasons.

To be honest having wings and flying does not mean a Pokemon can use the move fly. There seems to be additional requirements, especially for bug types, as there are only 3 bug type Pokemon which can learn the move at time of writing despite how many bug/flying Pokemon there are . Volcarona, Genesect & Vikavolt. Volcarona (which while not legendary was considered to be a deity), Genesect (which can do so via artificial augments) and Vikavolt (which has levitate rather than being a flying type). Notably not a single Bug/Flying type can learn it. While I personally would give Yanmega the move (as I personally think its at least as capable as Vikavolt) my guess is they don't think most bug types can soar high enough, breath at those heights or their exoskeleton can't take the force. In my opinion now Fly is no longer used as a HM i personally would give a few more strong bugs the move.

Pokefan_1987

Plus while it is a mainly inspired by a Chinese dragon I could also see it having some influence from western dragons (who often breath fire) as pokemon can take inspiration from multiple sources and in more modern of interpretations of Chinese dragons they have been more commonly depicted associated with fire for similar reasons.

To be honest having wings and flying does not mean a Pokemon can use the move fly. There seems to be additional requirements, especially for bug types, as there are only 3 bug type Pokemon which can learn the move at time of writing despite how many bug/flying Pokemon there are . Volcarona, Genesect & Vikavolt. Volcarona (which while not legendary was considered to be a deity), Genesect (which can do so via artificial augments) and Vikavolt (which has levitate rather than being a flying type). Notably not a single Bug/Flying type can learn it. While I personally would give Yanmega the move (as I personally think its at least as capable as Vikavolt) my guess is they don't think most bug types can soar high enough, breath at those heights or their exoskeleton can't take the force. In my opinion now Fly is no longer used as a HM i personally would give a few more strong bugs the move.
Speaking of Vikavolt, the pokedexes say it is very fast but in the game it has a base speed of 43 base speed. Why did they literally lie about it's speed? You'd have to EV train it and still give it a Trick Room coverage partner. Poor little bug *gets zapped*

Luthor

Speaking of Vikavolt, the pokedexes say it is very fast but in the game it has a base speed of 43 base speed. Why did they literally lie about it's speed? You'd have to EV train it and still give it a Trick Room coverage partner. Poor little bug *gets zapped*

Speaking of dubious Pokedex Entries Vikavolt has base speed slower than Arctozolt (even without its ability) . Arctozolt has Pokedex entries claiming it's slowness was the cause of its extinction and while those Pokedex entries are supposed to be false its not exactly supposed to be naturally fast and yet it can outspeed Vikavolt. At the very least I think Vikavolt should have got quick attack so that its dex entry makes some sort of sense.