• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

i was updating my camerupt's moveset in bdsp the other day and it learns flash cannon for some reason

i'm not complaining, hell i was actually glad it was able to learn it. i just didn't expect that lol

Yeah the distribution of flash cannon can be somewhat surprising. Even Pokemon like Spritzee and Vanillite can get the move which surprised me. Very useful for coverage but unexpected.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Drampa didn't know Draco Meteor in Gen 7....instead it was only first available in Gen 8 and only from a tutor.
That's restrictive compared to the pokemon entries that say it will destroy the homes of any bullies and i thought it was a level up move.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Nothing gets Draco Meteor through level up, and Drampa got Draco Meteor through tutor in gen 7 just fine

Luthor

Starapator can learn Close Combat, BUT HAS NO FISTS its a bird!

The move never specifies you need fists. Falinks, Arrokuda, Sharpedo, Xerneas, Honedge and even other birds like Unovan Braviary can all learn the move. The move states "the user fights the foe in close without guarding itself. It also cuts the user's Defense and Sp. Def.". In the anime Staraptor repeatedly kicks, pecks, and hits the opponent with its wings at a fast speed. It requires some form of physicality but its less specific.

Pokefan_1987

The move never specifies you need fists. Falinks, Arrokuda, Sharpedo, Xerneas, Honedge and even other birds like Unovan Braviary can all learn the move. The move states "the user fights the foe in close without guarding itself. It also cuts the user's Defense and Sp. Def.". In the anime Staraptor repeatedly kicks, pecks, and hits the opponent with its wings at a fast speed. It requires some form of physicality but its less specific.
It's more like recklessly fighting up close with body limbs or anything useable.

Yveltal91057

Hurry up Ichigo! Follow the damn Baxcalibur!
Ho-Oh is the only Fire/Flying type that can learn Ground type moves which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. (Earth Power, Earthquake, Bulldoze)

Pokefan_1987

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It took until Generation VIII for Amaura and Aurorus to learn Aurora Veiland Power Gem, despite them being based on auroras and having gems in their bodies.
While I don't know why they didn't have Power Gem, them not getting Aurora Veil makes sense. It was Alolan Ninetales' signature move, like how Mystical Fire, Mat Block, and Spiky Shield were unique to the Kalos starters in Gen VI but other Pokemon learned them in Gen VII.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
While I don't know why they didn't have Power Gem, them not getting Aurora Veil makes sense. It was Alolan Ninetales' signature move, like how Mystical Fire, Mat Block, and Spiky Shield were unique to the Kalos starters in Gen VI but other Pokemon learned them in Gen VII.
Not quite true. Aurora Veil was a TM in Gen VII.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Alolan Ninetales is the only Snow Warning Pokémon to get Aurora Veil in Alola, aside from Vulpix that is, which I suppose is kind of its signature trick. But other Pokémon do have access to Aurora Veil, like Articuno, Delibird, Regice, Sandslash, and Glaceon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Starapator can learn Close Combat, BUT HAS NO FISTS its a bird!
It has talons, though. So, it's not weird it can learn close combat.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
For Vanilite, I think it’s that its reflective surfaces allow it to use the move.
Yeah, and spritzee probably gets it because it's largely based on cosmetics, so it makes sense for it to be flashy.

Charizard gets Earthquake plus both it and Moltres can learn Scorching Sands.
To be fair, charizard at least looks heavy enough to pull off an earthquake, and a sand-based move is fine for a bird (pidgey's had sand attack since gen 1). Earthquake on a bird, though, seems pretty odd.

Pokefan_1987

Fluffy cloud bird Altaria also gets Earthquake, I think that's weirder than Charizard getting it.
Maybe it's their odd way of giving dragon types physical moves to attack with.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Maybe it's their odd way of giving dragon types physical moves to attack with.
I think that’s one reason since pre Gen IV Dragon moves were all Special. And Altria has some elemental mastery since it’s a Dragon. It can breath fire, create windstorms, make it rain, and even use Ice Beam so it does make sense that it could create an earthquake.