• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I wouldn't even see Luvdisc as a particularly fast pokemon. Maybe they decided to remove it or nerf egg moves?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Luvdisc is one of the fastest Swift Swimmers around, it combined with some unique egg moves like Entrainment and Heal Pulse was basically its only niche since all its other stats are horrible. I have no idea why they decided to remove Luvdisc's egg moves, it was among the very bottom of all Pokémon on the list needing a nerf.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Luvdisc is one of the fastest Swift Swimmers around, it combined with some unique egg moves like Entrainment and Heal Pulse was basically its only niche since all its other stats are horrible. I have no idea why they decided to remove Luvdisc's egg moves, it was among the very bottom of all Pokémon on the list needing a nerf.
A lot of older Pokémon lost Egg moves. Pichu lost Volt Tackle completely and it is still in the games.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I wouldn't even see Luvdisc as a particularly fast pokemon. Maybe they decided to remove it or nerf egg moves?
97 Base Speed is faster than Murkrow's 91 Base Speed, which part of the reason I wanted to use it.

Basically, the strategy boiled down to using Baby-Doll Eyes on a Eject Pack Palafin and then Aqua Jet on a Weakness Policy Steam Engine Coalossal while Luvdisc held a Focus Sash to avoid the KO first turn.

That way I could outspeed Murkrow's Prankster-based Taunt for the first turn and use Aqua Jet the second turn, since people might suspect something fishy with Luvdisc (pun not intended).

Pokefan_1987

A lot of older Pokémon lost Egg moves. Pichu lost Volt Tackle completely and it is still in the games.
That's odd why did they that many remove egg moves. Did they think Pichu would be too strong with Volt Tackle in the PU/Pika Cup Minor Leagues ?

Luthor

Iron bundle cannot learn Steel wing or any steel type moves. I expected it to get moves like Flash Cannon and Steel Wing. Even Delibird used to get Steel Wing via TM.

Pokefan_1987

Charmander doesn't have Metal Claw in the Let's Go series (unlike Fire Red and Leaf Green) I know Let's Go is a Yellow remake and Pikachu and Eevee can learn Double Kick before.
But if you want Metal Claw on Charmander for after you've caught 50 pokemon and reached Cerulean city then you've out of luck.
But removing quality of life moves after Charmander has had Metal Claw since Gen 3 doesn't make sense.

Luthor

Clodsire was one of my favourite Pokemon of gen 9. One of its most surprising moves I saw it get by level up was Megahorn. I can only assume it uses the spines as a "horn" but I think its fair to say its a bit odd (though useful). Very few of the Pokemon that get Megahorn don't have obvious horn and most of those has specific reasons (e.g Smeargle). It seems notable as its by level up so its a move that Clodsire gets naturally.

Pokefan_1987

Clodsire was one of my favourite Pokemon of gen 9. One of its most surprising moves I saw it get by level up was Megahorn. I can only assume it uses the spines as a "horn" but I think its fair to say its a bit odd (though useful). Very few of the Pokemon that get Megahorn don't have obvious horn and most of those has specific reasons (e.g Smeargle). It seems notable as its by level up so its a move that Clodsire gets naturally.
Horn attack can work for Smeargle: When Sketch has copied a horn attack, Smeargle it is doing it with horned bush on it's "hat".

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Why Meowscarada despite being based off a Magician can’t learn Fake Out is beyond me.

Luthor

Why Meowscarada despite being based off a Magician can’t learn Fake Out is beyond me.

I can only assume its some balancing thing. Given how many cat Pokemon get the move to me it should logically get the move so its a bit weird it doesn't.

It's a physical move and Meowscarada is a Special Attack based.
Meowscarada is a physical attacker

Either way it shouldn't be an issue- look at Meowstic which is a special attacker and Perrserker which are Physical attackers. Both can use fake out.

Last edited:

Luthor

Why would it being a magician based Pokemon mean it has to learn Fake Out? Fake Out is based on a sumo wrestler tactic iirc so it's got nothing to do with magic.

Well Fake out has a wide distribution among catlike Pokémon which seems to be a play on its Japanese name, as apparently it literally translates to cat deception. Given that this is a cat based on being a magician (rather something truly magical like being based on a wizard) and given that it uses misdirection (or to put it another way-deception). While there are some Pokemon that suit it for sumo reasons it's kinda hard to imagine creatures like Persian using it for that reason its fairly easy to it to imagine it being deceptive and Meowscarada would seem to be similar and yet it doesn't get it. If i had to guess they may just have not wanted to give it to another starter (at least not yet)

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Wattrel and Kilowattrel not getting Rain Dance. Storm Petrels are notoriously associated with maritime incumbent weather and their presence on ships foreshadows fierce conditions. Hence the name. Naturally, GF doesn’t give them Rain Dance, or any other (normally) Water-type moves. You find them all over Paldea’s coastlines. Petrels are as aquatic as gulls. Frigate birds don’t swim and don’t land very often, but both of these brbs are strictly marine. They can launch Hurricanes, change wind fronts, and drop wicked Thunderbolts, but cannot bring the weather. They can get Weather Ball, but cannot get RD! What is with you, Game Freak?