• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

PageEmperor

Yep, it’s one of those threads. So basically what are some moves that certain mons can or cannot learn that are just boggling?

Druddigon. Has a tail, can learn Iron tail. Breaking swipe. Explained to be an attack using a hard tail. Druddigon cannot learn Breaking swipe. WHY?

As for the other side, every quadruped creature capable of learning Close combat. I got a Close combat TR in Shield, to teach it to my Gallade, and then found out my Tauros can learn it. HOW? How does a Tauros, something that is seemingly always on all fours, suddenly start punching the **** out of the opponent despite the lack of fists, how?

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
As for the other side, every quadruped creature capable of learning Close combat. I got a Close combat TR in Shield, to teach it to my Gallade, and then found out my Tauros can learn it. HOW? How does a Tauros, something that is seemingly always on all fours, suddenly start punching the **** out of the opponent despite the lack of fists, how?
Tauros has four legs to fight with. Bulls fight using their horns and legs.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Chesnaught is seemingly based on a knight and since it's bipedal it has hands yet it can't learn Leaf Blade or Solar Blade while Meganium and Verizion, quadrupedals, can.

That still pisses me off.

Chesnaught is seemingly based on a knight and since it's bipedal it has hands yet it can't learn Leaf Blade or Solar Blade while Meganium and Verizion, quadrupedals, can.

Ummm... It 100% makes sense for Virizion, it is literally part of the SoJ, it just creates a sword on top of it's head like how it does with Sacred Sword

Akashin

Am I missing something? Meganium can't learn either of those moves.

Solar Blade was signature to Lurantis prior to Gen VIII, so that barely even counts regardless.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
This one I find funny.

Tyrantrum can use charm. A giant ferocious dinosaur starts acting cute in the middle of a battle.
Its Japanese name roughly translates to "Spoiled Pout", which explains why many ferocious Pokémon learn it. They're not getting their way, and they're performing an epic pouting maneuver.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ummm... It 100% makes sense for Virizion, it is literally part of the SoJ, it just creates a sword on top of it's head like how it does with Sacred Sword

Yes, it does but it's still odd that a quadrupedal Pokémon can learn it, specially with an excuse such as "horn-light-saber" yet a pokémon with hands can't.

Am I missing something? Meganium can't learn either of those moves.

I think I recall reading somewhere that there was a Pokémon Home datamine that indicated Meganium could get Solar Blade.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Zeraora is incompatible with Magnet Rise, despite official sources claiming that it uses magnetic fields from its paws to levitate and fly.

It took until gen 8 before Steelix got access to Iron Defense.

Gastly is the Poison Gas pokémon, but doesn't get access to Poison Gas (although it does get elemental punches)

Beheeyem gets Steel Wing

Neither Dragonite nor Salamence can learn Sky Attack

In gen 1 Moltres can't learn Flamethrower, it only got access to it from Crystal onwards.

Mew can't learn Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge, or Water Pledge.

Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow

Popplio can't learn Bubble

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Zeraora is incompatible with Magnet Rise, despite official sources claiming that it uses magnetic fields from its paws to levitate and fly.

It took until gen 8 before Steelix got access to Iron Defense.

Gastly is the Poison Gas pokémon, but doesn't get access to Poison Gas (although it does get elemental punches)

Beheeyem gets Steel Wing

Neither Dragonite nor Salamence can learn Sky Attack

In gen 1 Moltres can't learn Flamethrower, it only got access to it from Crystal onwards.

Mew can't learn Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge, or Water Pledge.

Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow

Popplio can't learn Bubble
Gastly gets Poison Gas in the Let’s Go games. And Beheeymem getting Steel Wing is mostly likely a reference to flying spaceships and shuttles.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Silvally can learn Grass Pledge. A move that is mostly learned by grass starters (the only exception the Pansage line). This would be odd on its own but the fact that it can't learn Fire Pledge or Water Pledge just seems random.
It's a glitch. It's supposed to, but an error from legacy coding prevents learning the other Pledge moves.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It took until Generation VIII for Amaura and Aurorus to learn Aurora Veiland Power Gem, despite them being based on auroras and having gems in their bodies.

Bronzor was not able to learn Reflect at first, and Bronzong has never been able to learn Heal Bell.

Regarding Close Combat, the description seems to be that the user just pummels the opponent at a close range, which can be done by pretty much anything able to fight physically. That being said, its Japanese name is "Infight," as in the English word. I don't know if it means something different in Japanese than it does in English though, as infighting would refer to disputes occuring between allies and friends.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Steelix doesn't get Coil despite being a snake. It would be a great move for it, much better than Dragon Dance. Combo it with Sheer Force Iron Tail for damage.
Gastly gets Poison Gas in the Let’s Go games. And Beheeymem getting Steel Wing is mostly likely a reference to flying spaceships and shuttles.
About time for Gastly. I've seen that explanation for Beheeyem before, but I don't really buy it because it didn't get it in gen 5. TM51 was Ally Switch in gen 5, and I think they just forgot to uncheck that TM51 box for it when copying everything over to gen 6 when TM51 became Steel Wing

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Beheeyem gets Steel Wing

There are two alternate theories for why this is and they both make a certain degree of sense. One is that Steel Wing is TM51 in Gen 6, and some people believe it might be a reference to Area 51, a location in the U.S. famous in urban legend for supposedly harboring aliens, alien technology, or proof of aliens collected by the U.S. government. Personally I think this explanation is a bit of a stretch, but I suppose it's possible.

The more likely explanation, in my opinion, is that TM51 was actually Ally Switch in Gen 5, when Beheeyem was introduced. It makes perfect sense for Beheeyem, a Psychic-type with known teleportation powers, to learn Ally Switch. When TM51 was changed from Ally Switch to Steel Wing in the transition to Gen 6, perhaps they simply overlooked removing it from Beheeyem's pool of learnable TMs.

EDIT: I see you mentioned this in one of your later posts, disregard this lol.

I guess I'll also add that Growlithe still can't learn Growl.

Last edited: