• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

MrJechgo

I can’t really picture Sirfetch’d using Wood Hammer and I think Falinks would be more interesting as a Fighting/Bug Pokemon as it would get STAB First Impression and the little individual bodies sort of look like a caterpillar when they are all lined up and marching in synchronization. Grapploct not being part Water is rather odd as it is vastly different from Octillery in terms of design and battling style and octopi are aquatic and rarely come on to land by free will. If an octopus ever gets on land, it is usually escaping a tank and just moving along the floor to escape into another source of water. Or it is near the coast of the ocean as octopi have gills and if they don’t get back into water after a few minutes, they will suffocate.
Wood Hammer using the leek :p

MrJechgo

Zeraora is known as the Thunderclap Pokémon yet it doesn't learn Boomburst, which would be appropriate given the LOUD sound an actual thunderclap can sound.

Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu cannot learn Play Rough... while Tapu Lele and Tapu Fini can learn it, despite being special attackers.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Zangoose is based specifically on the Indian Grey Mongoose (as can be seen by its long, bushy tail and zigzag stripe fur pattern, as well as its rivalry with Seviper), which does not use its claws for any sort of scratching or slicing. Rather, all of an Indian Grey Mongoose's offensive power is in its jaws. Doesn't explain why Zangoose can learn all sorts of other claw-based moves like X-Scissor, Night Slash, Fury Swipes, Slash, Swords Dance, and Crush Claw though. Most likely it's that Zangoose's claws are not well-equipped to cut, but to pierce and scratch.
Many of Zangoose's Pokedex entries do refer to it using its sharp claws to attack, and given the presence of similar moves in its movepool I think it's more likely that the absence of Cut is a simple oversight that was never corrected (and doesn't really need to be at this point thanks to the removal of cuttable trees from the recent games).

MrJechgo

Milk Drink can be learned by Male Gogoat. This makes me question how that move actually works.
To their defense, Gogoat doesn't have drastic gender differences. I think the ONLY Pokémon which has those is Indeedee, which the male and female have different stats and movesets. Then again, why does a female Dubwool have horns? Why does a female Stantler have antlers? :p

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Milk Drink can be learned by Male Gogoat. This makes me question how that move actually works.
Actually it is possible for male goats to produce milk. It’s not a common occurrence but it does happen.

To their defense, Gogoat doesn't have drastic gender differences. I think the ONLY Pokémon which has those is Indeedee, which the male and female have different stats and movesets. Then again, why does a female Dubwool have horns? Why does a female Stantler have antlers? :p
You forgot about Meowstic having different movesets and stats based on gender.

NeedsAName

Actually it is possible for male goats to produce milk. It’s not a common occurrence but it does happen.

You forgot about Meowstic having different movesets and stats based on gender.
Common misconception but male and female Meowstic have þe exact same stats!

HP: 74
Atk: 46
Def: 76
SpA: 83
SpD: 81
Spe: 104
BST: 466

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I was surprised to find Wood Hammer in Mimikyu's level-up moveset. Komala I an kind of get because it has that wooden block thing it always holds onto, but why Mimikyu?

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
It's strange how many of Talonflame's Dex entries mention it using powerful kicks, but it can't learn any kicking moves at all. You'd think they'd give it Blaze Kick by now, yet despite it being a TR in Gen 8, it can't learn it.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
I wonder why Butterfree and Venomoth learn Confusion. For the longest time as a kid, I thought Venomoth was a Psychic type.
Not only do they learn it, but they're the best at it! Their confusion attack is so strong that it even affects the real-life player. I thought the same thing about Vennomoth until I used one for the first time.

I always thought it was weird that Hoppip could learn Splash. And doesn't Cosmog also learn it? Also, kind of off-topic but splash should cause damage to rock, ground, and fire types. :p

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
It's strange how many of Talonflame's Dex entries mention it using powerful kicks, but it can't learn any kicking moves at all. You'd think they'd give it Blaze Kick by now, yet despite it being a TR in Gen 8, it can't learn it.
Its Pokedex entries is a reference to the way its real-life inspiration (the peregrine falcon) hunts. Though if martial arts style kicking moves are out of the question it is strange Talonflame did not get a signature move based off the hunting technique of the peregrine falcon.

Luthor

Especially considering it's English name is literally the words Talon + flame you'd expect it to have a move to do that with. (One of the reasons I always preferred it's Japanese name)

MrJechgo

I don't know if that was mentioned, but...
  • Bibarel cannot learn Wood Hammer. Beavers are often associated with wood logs, but Bibarel cannot whack with one of these :p
  • Wishiwashi cannot learn Body Slam, when being much larger would be suitable.
  • Samurott cannot learn Horn Leech, Horn Attack, Horn Drill and/or Smart Strike, especially if its horn is supposed to be a sword.
  • Gourgeist cannot learn Heavy Slam, Heat Crash or other weight-dependant move, when its gimmick is literally weight-based ^^;