• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
That might have been mentioned, but...
  1. Venusaur should learn one or 2 offensive Poison moves while leveling.
  2. Feraligatr should learn Jaw Lock, being, y'know, the Big Jaw Pokémon :p
  3. Delphox should learn Thunderbolt, Thunder, Ice Beam, Blizzard and Energy Ball.
  4. Decidueye should learn Wing Attack.
  5. Incineroar should learn Crunch.
  6. Primarina should learn Water Pulse.
Delphox is based on a mage so naturally, it should be able to learn different elemental attacks.

MrJechgo

Luthor

Bastiodon gets Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Blizzard. For a defensive pokemon with special attack lower than Chikorita that's quite impressive if a bit odd.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Delphox is based on a mage so naturally, it should be able to learn different elemental attacks.
It's a mage, hence magic.
A fire mage as far as I can tell, it just uses fire magic. The mage portion comes in it being a Psychic type and capable of using moves like Psychic and Mystical Fire (at least before they gave that to tons of pokémon). Mage doesn't have to be a magician of all the elements, it can also just be a fire mage.

MrJechgo

A fire mage as far as I can tell, it just uses fire magic. The mage portion comes in it being a Psychic type and capable of using moves like Psychic and Mystical Fire (at least before they gave that to tons of pokémon). Mage doesn't have to be a magician of all the elements, it can also just be a fire mage.
Maybe because a mage is often referred to a Fireball-throwing D&D wizard/sorcerer, but even then, these classes are far more versatile. Delphox can learn Solar Beam, Shock Wave, Dazzling Gleam and Signal Beam, but cannot learn Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Energy Beam? Sounds pretty random to me...

Flamethrower, Psychic, Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam would be the perfect moveset for Delphox, with 2 STAB moves (one being good against Ghost), a good move against Water, Rock and Ground and a good move against Dark.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Shock Wave is a weird move that's widely distributed, especially among Psychic types. All sorts of pokémon get it. Same with Signal Beam. Weak moves like that tend to get much wider coverage. Thunderbolt is far more focused to Electric types, with some exceptions like Dragonite, Gardevoir, and Latias. Ice Beam would be a unique, aside from Alolan Marowak literally no fire type in the game gets that move (and Marowak gets all sorts of weird moves it can't make good use of, like Rain Dance, Thunder, and so on, Rain Dance is also quite rare on fire types). Offensive Ice moves on fire types is unheard of, it just doesn't happen. And just because Delphox is a magician doesn't mean it should get Ice Beam, other magician pokémon like Alakazam or Mismagius also don't get it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Shock Wave is a weird move that's widely distributed, especially among Psychic types. All sorts of pokémon get it. Same with Signal Beam. Weak moves like that tend to get much wider coverage. Thunderbolt is far more focused to Electric types, with some exceptions like Dragonite, Gardevoir, and Latias. Ice Beam would be a unique, aside from Alolan Marowak literally no fire type in the game gets that move (and Marowak gets all sorts of weird moves it can't make good use of, like Rain Dance, Thunder, and so on, Rain Dance is also quite rare on fire types). Offensive Ice moves on fire types is unheard of, it just doesn't happen. And just because Delphox is a magician doesn't mean it should get Ice Beam, other magician pokémon like Alakazam or Mismagius also don't get it.
Alolan Marowak getting Rain Dance could be justified as it being based off of the fire dancers you see at luaus.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That is weird indeed. It doesn't really miss it, its special attack is so garbage it wouldn't do any significant damage anyway (it never runs Blizzard either despite being a hail attacker), but it is weird.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
That is weird indeed. It doesn't really miss it, its special attack is so garbage it wouldn't do any significant damage anyway (it never runs Blizzard either despite being a hail attacker), but it is weird.
Kinda like Flareon on the other end. It's 130 Attack stat is higher than its 110 Special and it only has 4 physical fire moves.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Flareon is not nearly as extreme as Alolan Sandslash. Alolan Sandslash has worse special attack than Sunkern or Pyukumuku, it has the same special attack as Metapod, Kakuka, and Silcoon. And its pre-evolution Alolan Sandshrew literally has the worst special attack of all pokémon in existence, tied with Shuckle. Flareon can use either side quite well, if you want you can run Overheat on Flareon and actually deal good damage with it, especially with Flash Fire. Sandslash is going to deal virtually no damage with Blizzard no matter what.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Flareon is not nearly as extreme as Alolan Sandslash. Alolan Sandslash has worse special attack than Sunkern or Pyukumuku, it has the same special attack as Metapod, Kakuka, and Silcoon. And its pre-evolution Alolan Sandshrew literally has the worst special attack of all pokémon in existence, tied with Shuckle. Flareon can use either side quite well, if you want you can run Overheat on Flareon and actually deal good damage with it, especially with Flash Fire. Sandslash is going to deal virtually no damage with Blizzard no matter what.
You're right a base total of 25 in Special Attack is so bad it might as well not have any points. It barely tickles anything with those special versions and special defense is fragile as well. It's 4x weakness to fighting is also bad that it's to fragile to use, it'd need a focus sash or sturdy to survive 1 turn.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Or just don't keep it in on fire or fighting attacks... that's the case with everything with a 4x weakness. You don't keep Scizor or Ferrothorn in on fire either, or Heatran on ground. I run Sandslash with Assault Vest with Icicle Crash, Iron Head, Rock Slide, and Drill Run and it's a powerful pokémon with that huge Slush Rush speed, good super effective coverage, and flinch hax, you just need other pokémon to cover its weaknesses. Like Kommo-o is immune to hail and can easily switch in on fire attacks. With Assault Vest Sandslash can take special hits quite well as long as they're not fire or fighting hits, you just switch it out if the foe has something with fire or fighting that you can't take out first, like Incineroar.

MrJechgo

I get the feeling that Mantine should be able to learn any move that Remoraid can, since Mantine has a Remoraid, or two stuck under its flaps. Those specific moves would be used by the Remoraids themselves.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I get the feeling that Mantine should be able to learn any move that Remoraid can, since Mantine has a Remoraid, or two stuck under its flaps. Those specific moves would be used by the Remoraids themselves.
Even Octazooka? I think that one would be hard to see the Remoraid on Mantine’s flap using the move considering it only gets it as an egg move. Also Remoraid hasn’t been seen on Mantine since Gen III because Mantyke exists and GF didn’t want to explain why the Remoraid in your party that helped evolve it didn’t disappear.

MrJechgo

Even Octazooka? I think that one would be hard to see the Remoraid on Mantine’s flap using the move considering it only gets it as an egg move. Also Remoraid hasn’t been seen on Mantine since Gen III because Mantyke exists and GF didn’t want to explain why the Remoraid in your party that helped evolve it didn’t disappear.
Was Mantyke's evolution a secret? Because if it was, I'd... kinda hate to have a Remoraid forcefully removed from my party when I had other plans for it. What if I had two Remoraids, and the "wrong one" disappeared when Mantyke evolved?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Was Mantyke's evolution a secret? Because if it was, I'd... kinda hate to have a Remoraid forcefully removed from my party when I had other plans for it. What if I had two Remoraids, and the "wrong one" disappeared when Mantyke evolved?
I didn’t mean to imply it was a “secret” but the possibility of having the wrong Remoraid disappearing if you have two in your party is probably why Mantine’s in game battle sprite no longer has Remoraid.