• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

The fact that none of the Galarian legendary birds get Heat Wave makes no sense, as Pokemon like Xatu (who has the same typing as Galarian Articuno) and Mandibuzz (who is Dark/Flying like Galarian Moltres) get the move.

As most flying types with wings get the move did I expect the Galarian birds to get heat wave? yes definitely. Most of the birds that don't get it are normally are due to it typing (like how Kantonian Articuno can't get it because its an ice type).

That being said there is a fire type move I think could also make sense for thematic reasons. Burning Jealousy. Particularly Galarian Moltres is the Malevolent Pokemon and the move is known by a lot of dark types (mostly those with slightly darker personalities like Alolan Persian) . Galarian Articuno is the cruel pokemon and is said to be callous which I feel for thematic reasons feels like it would make sense as while its not a dark type it does suit the personality. Galarian Zapdos is the least of a direct connection but it was described as being a belligerent, battle-hungry Pokémon seems unable to resist challenging Pokémon it senses may be stronger than itself which could sort of fits the motif for the sort of pokemon that get this move but I admit the reasoning is less direct that the other two.

Galarian Articuno getting not Heat Wave I can understand. I can sort of see why Galarian Moltres doesn’t get it as well. Galarian Moltres doesn’t actually have fiery wings like it appears to have. It is the result of some sort of dark energy that fuels Moltres’ rage. The “fire” is basically an aura that Moltres is giving off. Galarian Zapdos I could imagine being able to use Heat Wave by simply running around its opponents in a circular motion extremely fast and the friction creates some sort of heated vacuum that closes in on to the targets.

Of the 3 I'd say Galarian zapdos is the one i'd least expect to get it as it has atrophied wings whereas the other two have fully formed wings which is for the most part required for flying types who get this move. Still I'd give it to all 3.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Galarian Articuno getting not Heat Wave I can understand. I can sort of see why Galarian Moltres doesn’t get it as well. Galarian Moltres doesn’t actually have fiery wings like it appears to have. It is the result of some sort of dark energy that fuels Moltres’ rage. The “fire” is basically an aura that Moltres is giving off. Galarian Zapdos I could imagine being able to use Heat Wave by simply running around its opponents in a circular motion extremely fast and the friction creates some sort of heated vacuum that closes in on to the targets.
I guess that kind of makes sense, the only question then is what excuse honchkrow and mandibuzz have for getting it while the similarly-typed, and seemingly more suited Galarian moltres misses out.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I guess that kind of makes sense, the only question then is what excuse honchkrow and mandibuzz have for getting it while the similarly-typed, and seemingly more suited Galarian moltres misses out.
Mandibuzz have been shown living in deserts. So in an odd way it makes sense that it gets Heat Wave. Not sure about Honchkrow though.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Lots of pokemon that aren’t even Dragon types can learn Outrage (Swampert, Aggron, Xerneas, Pangoro, Krookodile, Copperajah, Lapras, Tauros, etc.)

Luthor

Lots of pokemon that aren’t even Dragon types can learn Outrage (Swampert, Aggron, Xerneas, Pangoro, Krookodile, Copperajah, Lapras, Tauros, etc.)

To be honest I don't find that odd considering how many non-dragons can learn dragon type moves. What I do find odd about outrage its how Kingdra used to be unable to get that that move introduced in the same gen as it and considering how few dragons there were to use it. It now does get it but I'm surprised it wasn't there in gen 2

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
To be honest I don't find that odd considering how many non-dragons can learn dragon type moves. What I do find odd about outrage its how Kingdra used to be unable to get that that move introduced in the same gen as it and considering how few dragons there were to use it. It now does get it but I'm surprised it wasn't there in gen 2
It’s not nearly as odd as Growlithe and Arcanine being able to learn Dragon Rage by TM in Gen I. I get that there were only three Dragons but why the dog Pokémon? Mew gets a pass as learning every single TM and HM in existence is its thing and Lapras is Dragon like in a way. Outrage I just have always imagined the user having a fit that somehow turns into a sort of shockwave that damages the target and the user gets confused after the Outrage auto attack effect wears off due to exhaustion.

Luthor

It’s not nearly as odd as Growlithe and Arcanine being able to learn Dragon Rage by TM in Gen I. I get that there were only three Dragons but why the dog Pokémon? Mew gets a pass as learning every single TM and HM in existence is its thing and Lapras is Dragon like in a way. Outrage I just have always imagined the user having a fit that somehow turns into a sort of shockwave that damages the target and the user gets confused after the Outrage auto attack effect wears off due to exhaustion.

It's a bit odd i'll admit considering how limited distribution of the move was in that gen. I'm guessing it's because they may take inspiration from Komainu, Shisa or xiezhi and a few other things so they are more than just dogs (and have some mythical significance) but If I'm honest it's not the best reason.

MrJechgo

I just wanted to post how Articuno's, Zapdos's and Moltres's respective leveling up moves changed from Gen 1 to Let's Go.

I'm still shocked that Moltres got Fire Spin instead of Flamethrower, and you had to farm the MissingNo glitch to get Fire Blast XD Ah, good times. I swear, I spammed that glitch to no end to duplicate TMs, to the point that I got several Pokémon ready for Stadium 1 on N64.

No wonder Moltres got captured first in the 2nd movie :p

Luthor

I never noticed just how limited Landorus and Thundurus are with regards to flying moves. As far as I can see the only Flying moves either get are Fly, Defog and Sky Drop (Landorus doesn't seemt to get this one but Thundurus seems to). I know wind based moves were saved for Tornadus but I never realised they couldn't get moves like Acrobatics or Aerial Ace despite being flying types.

Lucariomen

People talk about how Wooper shouldn't learn punching moves, but Quagsire shouldn't either! He can only SLAP with those flat fins! Also, Yanmega should learn Fly, especially because it could be a good Flyslave.

Luthor

People talk about how Wooper shouldn't learn punching moves, but Quagsire shouldn't either! He can only SLAP with those flat fins! Also, Yanmega should learn Fly, especially because it could be a good Flyslave.

I've said this before but For me the interesting thing with Fly is that only 3 bug types can learn it Volcarona, Genesect & Vikavolt. None of which are flying types. So I wonder if the issue is not about the ability to carry a person but due to something else. Possibly being able to get to the required height. Volcarona has always been treated as being something significant (not a legendary pokemon technically but almost given its deity status) so I could imagine it can fly high. Genesect is artificially upgraded so its capable of things most bugs are not. Vikavolt is an oddity but given it has levitate it might make sense if it means that it can fly higher. Speculation I'll admit but its the best explanation I have as to why Yanmega and other Bug/flying types don't get the move.

Speaking of a pokemon that does get Fly Thundurus does not get any dragon-typed moves I'd expect it to get given its likely design inspiration of the Azure Dragon in Therian form. This is particularly odd given that Landorus does gets outrage.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

around 7:35

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I was going through a few moves in x and y on my doduo (pokedex entry finishing) that i hadn't levelled up and got me thinking. That can't be right, how can this thing use FLY ? It's a wingless pokemono_O

The design is obvious that it is nothing more of than a ball of ruffled feathers instead traditional feathers and wings. If it ever tries to fly even from a cliff for assistance, it would just crash including any trainers trying to travel flying.

Last edited:

Trillion

I was going through a few moves in x and y on my doduo (pokedex entry finishing) that i hadn't levelled up and got me thinking. That can't be right, how can this thing use FLY ? It's a wingless pokemono_O

The design is obvious that it is nothing more of than a ball of ruffled feathers instead traditional feathers and wings. If it ever tries to fly even from a cliff for assistance, it would just crash including any trainers trying to travel flying.

Luthor

I've always found it a bit weird the creation trio and Garchomp don't get Dragon Dance. Especially as its now a TR. Seems like they just didn't want to give it to any of the dragons from Sinnoh for some reason.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
^ Not sure about garchomp, but dialga and palkia at least look a tad bulky to be doing much dancing. At least that's my best guess.

Lucariomen

Lapras could learn Energy Ball in the TCG before it was introduced in Generation 4.
Well, TCG always had its own rules when it comes to creating moves, with some even going to the main series, like Energy Ball. Another example is Flareon, who knew Fiery Dance in a certain Pokémon Card that I don't remember which, yet it can't learn it on Gen 5, since it is now Volcarona's signature move.

Lucariomen

I've always found it a bit weird the creation trio and Garchomp don't get Dragon Dance. Especially as its now a TR. Seems like they just didn't want to give it to any of the dragons from Sinnoh for some reason.
In my opinion, every Dragon-Type that looks like a dragon should learn Dragon Dance. Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Garchomp shouldn't be exceptions.