• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It’s because Smart Strike’s Japanese name is “Smart Horn”, which is why its learnset is mostly limited to Pokémon with visible horns, and some outliers like Mew, Togekiss and Kartana. Tusks aren’t exactly the same as horns.

Well Mew gets a pass since its entire gimmick is it can always learn every single TM and TR. It doesn’t need an explanation as everyone has accepted the fact that Mew being able to use X-Scissor with no claws as being part of its mysterious powers.

MrJechgo

Well Mew gets a pass since its entire gimmick is it can always learn every single TM and TR. It doesn’t need an explanation as everyone has accepted the fact that Mew being able to use X-Scissor with no claws as being part of its mysterious powers.
Mew can use Transform, so it wouldn't be weird for it to partially morph its body to use just about any move it can learn.

Luthor

Magikarp can't learn any other moves in legends Arceus other than splash (even by tutor). Even back in gen 1 it got tackle. Its been able to learn flail for a while, can often learn bounce and in sword and shield got hydro pump. This gets weirder when you realise Tackle and Hydro pump are in the games so its not like there was no options.

Captain Jigglypuff

Magikarp can't learn any other moves in legends Arceus other than splash (even by tutor). Even back in gen 1 it got tackle. Its been able to learn flail for a while, can often learn bounce and in sword and shield got hydro pump. This gets weirder when you realise Tackle and Hydro pump are in the games so its not like there was no options.
What about the Spheal line not being able to learn their own signature move Ice Ball via level up and only by Move Tutor in Legends? That is a weird thing to do considering it’s the move most associated with the line other than Rest and maybe Encore.

The_Orb

Feraligatr not being able to learn Waterfall in gen 2 has always confused me.

That just had to have been an oversight, right?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I've always found it odd that Wingull can learn Shock Wave. Given that both of its types are weak to Electric and it can't learn any other electric moves.
What's even more odd?

Cosmog and Cosmoem (Nebby) can't learn anything. Couldn't they have let it at least learn Confusion? Splash and Teleport are absolutely useless in battles.
It's just stuck as a whining cloud and a superdensed heavy egg when it becomes cosmoem

Luthor

What's even more odd?

Cosmog and Cosmoem (Nebby) can't learn anything. Couldn't they have let it at least learn Confusion? Splash and Teleport are absolutely useless in battles.
It's just stuck as a whining cloud and a superdensed heavy egg when it becomes cosmoem

Yeah. Considering its supposed to be legendary I'd expect to be able to do something. Even if it was a weak move like you suggest with confusion or something that takes time to build power like stored power. Definitely odd.

Captain Jigglypuff

Yeah. Considering its supposed to be legendary I'd expect to be able to do something. Even if it was a weak move like you suggest with confusion or something that takes time to build power like stored power. Definitely odd.
I think Tackle would be perfect. It is not too strong and would allow them to survive a bit longer.

NeedsAName

What's even more odd?

Hidden Power? Pound? Flail? Secret Power?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I've always found it odd that Wingull can learn Shock Wave. Given that both of its types are weak to Electric and it can't learn any other electric moves.
Shock Wave is one of those TMs that had such weird distribution. I can understand Psychic-types learning it, given most of them also got Thunderbolt, but Wingull of all Pokémon? Super ironic for it to learn a move that it’s 4x weak to.

Luthor

It's a leftover from G1. Lorelei's Elite 4 room actually allow using the Fishing Rod on the pokemon statues in the Red and Blue (Not in any of remakes, don't know about Yellow version)
Rhyperior learning Surf...

I've seen it suggested its more to do with Kaiju (e.g godzilla) Rhydon was at least partially inspired by Kaiju and Kaiju are capable of doing things things like cause tsunamis so I suspect its more connected to that (similar to why Tyranitar can learn surf) or it could be connected to the fact that rhinoceroses are also an inspiration (which can also swim) and just amplifying as its connected to a Pokemon.
Rampardos learnt Surf in gen 4 so clearly giving it to Rock types was something they were still willing to do and I can only assume for similar reasons.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Was leveling up Riolu in Ultra Sun last night to get him to evolve into Lucario. Mananged to use Poison Jab to make him defeat most enemies (Cottonee are part fairy). I was relying on the Adrenaline Orb on Chansey Bush in Poni Meadow where Blissey can be S.O.S. summoned.

However Cottonee and Scyther are much more common and while thinking of moves, Lucario can't learn Fire Punch but it can still Ice Punch and Thunder Punch as Tutor Moves. But it can still get Blaze Kick as a Egg Move ?

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Riolu naturally being able to learn Aura Sphere as a level up move in Pokémon Legends Arceus is a nice callback to the second Pokémon Ranger game and brings things full circle.