• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
it's just a joke about how it created the seas but doesn't have the ability that powers up water type moves.
It's a legendary with high stats *laughs* Kyogre is bulky pokemon and Torrent only works when the pokemon has low health. So it wouldn't do much after healing it in a battle. And there is no Belly Drum for Kyogre.
It has access to the Blue Orb (Primal Kyogre) Primordial Sea ability which is literally a upgraded infinite drizzle, which gives a water moves a big STAB boost and prevents fire moves as well. Water Spout and Surf are also very powerful moves in singles.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
To be honest having wings and flying does not mean a Pokemon can use the move fly. There seems to be additional requirements, especially for bug types, as there are only 3 bug type Pokemon which can learn the move at time of writing despite how many bug/flying Pokemon there are . Volcarona, Genesect & Vikavolt. Volcarona (which while not legendary was considered to be a deity), Genesect (which can do so via artificial augments) and Vikavolt (which has levitate rather than being a flying type). Notably not a single Bug/Flying type can learn it. While I personally would give Yanmega the move (as I personally think its at least as capable as Vikavolt) my guess is they don't think most bug types can soar high enough, breath at those heights or their exoskeleton can't take the force. In my opinion now Fly is no longer used as a HM i personally would give a few more strong bugs the move.
Yeah, I imagine that was the logic for most of the bug/flying types, but yanmega, whose dex entry explicitly states that it is capable of carrying an adult human, probably should be exempt from this exclusion.

Pokefan_1987

Speaking of dubious Pokedex Entries Vikavolt has base speed slower than Arctozolt (even without its ability) . Arctozolt has Pokedex entries claiming it's slowness was the cause of its extinction and while those Pokedex entries are supposed to be false its not exactly supposed to be naturally fast and yet it can outspeed Vikavolt. At the very least I think Vikavolt should have got quick attack so that its dex entry makes some sort of sense.
On that note i get a ridiculous speed occurence. When i'm Chansey exp and a Cottonee appears instead Why does a tiny Grass pokemon with a base value of 66 outspeed a lvl 100 Incineroar with a maxed speed of 186.

For reference these pokemons are launching non priority sunny day or cotton guard. What is their average speed for a lvl 55 Cottonee?

Pokefan_1987

Cottonee has Prankster so it gets priority on status moves like Sunny Day and Cotton Guard
Still very odd with a level 100 pokemon against a cotton/grass ball.

I find it weird some Fairy Pokemon like Jigglypuff and Clefairy can learn the technique Flamethrower through TM.
They had that since G1 Normal types had a wide movepool. It's more absurd how many normal pokemon learn Shadow Ball. A complete opposite type move.

Pokefan_1987

Just got Latias (red dragon) in Ultra Sun, but she has no way to learn Dragon Dance until Sword/Shield
Why were they afraid of giving to her compared to her blue brother ? *inconsistent grumbling) :mad:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
She's the more defensive of the two, she gets Charm instead. You also see it with getting Mist Ball (which lowers the targets Sp.Atk) as opposed to Luster Purge (which lowers targets Sp.Def). Latias also gets Healing Wish (which heals) as a sacrificial move while Latios gets Memento (which hinders targets). It's not a huge deal, they're both more special oriented and both get Calm Mind. Latias is arguably the better one in Calm Mind Recover sets with the increased defences making it easier to set up.

Pokefan_1987

After spending 2 days looking for a Alolan Sandslash trade and not being able to learn Ice Beam. I'm terrible at getting enough Beach/Battle Points (BP) to get Ice Punch. *grrrr*

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
After spending 2 days looking for a Alolan Sandslash trade and not being able to learn Ice Beam. I'm terrible at getting enough Beach/Battle Points (BP) to get Ice Punch. *grrrr*
Sandslash gets access to Icicle Crash through the move tutor in the Lanikala Mountain Pokémon centre, teach that to it instead. It's more powerful and doesn't cost BP

Trillion

i was updating my camerupt's moveset in bdsp the other day and it learns flash cannon for some reason

i'm not complaining, hell i was actually glad it was able to learn it. i just didn't expect that lol

Luthor

i was updating my camerupt's moveset in bdsp the other day and it learns flash cannon for some reason

i'm not complaining, hell i was actually glad it was able to learn it. i just didn't expect that lol

Yeah the distribution of flash cannon can be somewhat surprising. Even Pokemon like Spritzee and Vanillite can get the move which surprised me. Very useful for coverage but unexpected.

Pokefan_1987

Drampa didn't know Draco Meteor in Gen 7....instead it was only first available in Gen 8 and only from a tutor.
That's restrictive compared to the pokemon entries that say it will destroy the homes of any bullies and i thought it was a level up move.

Luthor

Starapator can learn Close Combat, BUT HAS NO FISTS its a bird!

The move never specifies you need fists. Falinks, Arrokuda, Sharpedo, Xerneas, Honedge and even other birds like Unovan Braviary can all learn the move. The move states "the user fights the foe in close without guarding itself. It also cuts the user's Defense and Sp. Def.". In the anime Staraptor repeatedly kicks, pecks, and hits the opponent with its wings at a fast speed. It requires some form of physicality but its less specific.

Pokefan_1987

The move never specifies you need fists. Falinks, Arrokuda, Sharpedo, Xerneas, Honedge and even other birds like Unovan Braviary can all learn the move. The move states "the user fights the foe in close without guarding itself. It also cuts the user's Defense and Sp. Def.". In the anime Staraptor repeatedly kicks, pecks, and hits the opponent with its wings at a fast speed. It requires some form of physicality but its less specific.
It's more like recklessly fighting up close with body limbs or anything useable.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Ho-Oh is the only Fire/Flying type that can learn Ground type moves which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. (Earth Power, Earthquake, Bulldoze)