• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ho-Oh is the only Fire/Flying type that can learn Ground type moves which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. (Earth Power, Earthquake, Bulldoze)
Charizard gets Earthquake plus both it and Moltres can learn Scorching Sands.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
While I don't know why they didn't have Power Gem, them not getting Aurora Veil makes sense. It was Alolan Ninetales' signature move, like how Mystical Fire, Mat Block, and Spiky Shield were unique to the Kalos starters in Gen VI but other Pokemon learned them in Gen VII.
Not quite true. Aurora Veil was a TM in Gen VII.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Alolan Ninetales is the only Snow Warning Pokémon to get Aurora Veil in Alola, aside from Vulpix that is, which I suppose is kind of its signature trick. But other Pokémon do have access to Aurora Veil, like Articuno, Delibird, Regice, Sandslash, and Glaceon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Starapator can learn Close Combat, BUT HAS NO FISTS its a bird!
It has talons, though. So, it's not weird it can learn close combat.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
For Vanilite, I think it’s that its reflective surfaces allow it to use the move.
Yeah, and spritzee probably gets it because it's largely based on cosmetics, so it makes sense for it to be flashy.

Charizard gets Earthquake plus both it and Moltres can learn Scorching Sands.
To be fair, charizard at least looks heavy enough to pull off an earthquake, and a sand-based move is fine for a bird (pidgey's had sand attack since gen 1). Earthquake on a bird, though, seems pretty odd.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Maybe it's their odd way of giving dragon types physical moves to attack with.
I think that’s one reason since pre Gen IV Dragon moves were all Special. And Altria has some elemental mastery since it’s a Dragon. It can breath fire, create windstorms, make it rain, and even use Ice Beam so it does make sense that it could create an earthquake.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Its certainly an odd fit but for me I find it more odd that Mantyke can learn Earthquake.
I mean, I guess if a stunfisk can make earthquakes...

Rays do hang out on the sand and stir up the ground. Weird fit for its typing, but maybe less so for its inspiration than altaria.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I mean, I guess if a stunfisk can make earthquakes...

Rays do hang out on the sand and stir up the ground. Weird fit for its typing, but maybe less so for its inspiration than Altaria.
It happens just because its in a game for Stunfisk. But realistically it's manta ray/fish design makes it seem not use to be strong and more like a minor disturbance.

Well, Earthquakes do happen underwater.
Still Mantyke and Mantine water creatures that mostly live in the ocean. It doesn't make sense for a winged water creature to make a ground move. Diglett line technically dig and move underground in groups all day long so they are logically able to cause earthquakes.
Lugia i always mistake for water/flying can learn earthquake since it's giant wings can cause big storms just by flying.

Actual fact: Swampert is a clearly a bulky muscle ground creature but with water abilities too. Those muscles just scream that they can cause serious damage by punching the ground. It even has a bigger emphasis on bulky attacks with 15 more points in direct attacks compared to Special Attack

Last edited:

MidnightHo-Oh

Still Mantyke and Mantine water creatures that mostly live in the ocean. I doesn't make sense for a winged water creature (no hands) to make a ground move.
Lugia can learn earthquake since it's giant wings can cause big storms just by flying.
You've kind of contradicted yourself here, mate...

Mantine has relatively "giant wings" as well, and sorry to say that great gusts of wind from wings causing a storm does not directly translate to being able to cause an earthquake. Storms in no way have any part in causing earthquakes...

TwilightBlade

Well this complaint is more about a TM than an issue with the move itself but what the heck was up with Soft-Boiled being a TM in Gen 1? Only 2 Pokemon could learn the move back then and one of them was Mew who was incredibly hard to get.

And why couldn't Exeggcute or Exeggutor learn it when they were egg themed Pokemon themselves?

WildHennaCharizard

Well this complaint is more about a TM than an issue with the move itself but what the heck was up with Soft-Boiled being a TM in Gen 1? Only 2 Pokemon could learn the move back then and one of them was Mew who was incredibly hard to get.

And why couldn't Exeggcute or Exeggutor learn it when they were egg themed Pokemon themselves?
Exeggcute and Exeggutor can't learn it cause their described as being seeds and a cocoanut tree not eggs. Even if it is debated among the fans if they are eggs or seeds.