• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

Well this complaint is more about a TM than an issue with the move itself but what the heck was up with Soft-Boiled being a TM in Gen 1? Only 2 Pokemon could learn the move back then and one of them was Mew who was incredibly hard to get.

And why couldn't Exeggcute or Exeggutor learn it when they were egg themed Pokemon themselves?

It gets even weirder when the move became a move tutor move and for some reason Clefairy could then learn it despite not being able to learn it previously in gen 1.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The Oricorio birds can't learn Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Shadow Ball/Psychic ? (not counting the Revelation Dance move) This is very limiting for their bonus typings.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Meh, Revelation Dance functions fine. I think it's more hindering that Oricorio doesn't get a move like Revelation Dance earlier on, like a weaker variant for lower levels. Revelation Dance is also more powerful than Shadow Ball

Pokefan_1987

Meh, Revelation Dance functions fine. I think it's more hindering that Oricorio doesn't get a move like Revelation Dance earlier on, like a weaker variant for lower levels. Revelation Dance is also more powerful than Shadow Ball
Yeah most of them are learnset moves that are average, although Air Slash is great. But you can't even get their good moves until after Sophocles trial if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Mirai

Not sure why Skuntank is able to learn Flamethrower by level up. It's a Poison and Dark type skunk Pokemon so that's a weird move for it to learn naturally.

Luthor

Not sure why Skuntank is able to learn Flamethrower by level up. It's a Poison and Dark type skunk Pokemon so that's a weird move for it to learn naturally.

My guess is its a partial reference to the 'tank' part of the name. Some tanks have flamethrowers equipped. Its probably also a partial (and disturbing) reference to pyroflatulence.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Yeah, skuntank's knowing flamethrower is likely a reference to its main weapon being toxic fumes, which pretty easily could be flammable. Same reason it gets explosion.

Pokefan_1987

It could be related to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrophoricity specifically under the liquid category.
Pyrophoricity means that a substance causes a form of combustion when exposed to air.
Explosion only seems possible if Skuntank could invent Nitroglycerine or a similar chemical.

On a different note Eelektross has never learned Thunder Fang ever despite being a eel and instead it has a Thunder Punch move.
Since it has been absent ever since it was a island scan only in USUM we will probably never know if it ever learns Thunder Fang by any means?

Last edited:

MrJechgo

Pawmot cannot learn Drain Punch... yet its signature move revives a fainted Pokémon...

If your Pokémon learns Bite and/or Crunch, it should be able to learn the Fangs moves... Looking at you, Meowscarada...

Tinkaton cannot learn Earthquake... It has a HUGE hammer, but cannot shake and fissure the ground with it. It does learn Bulldoze.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

It's weird that Glaceon is not able to use the new Ice Spinner move in Gen 9 as a substitute until you find Ice Beam late into the game. Ice types could benefit from any of the Ice Moves. Blizzard doesn't have a lot of PP outside of online battles because it has a high tendency to miss when needed. Not counting ice legendaries that keep their exclusive moves.

Gargoss

Hotshot
Pawmot cannot learn Drain Punch... yet its signature move revives a fainted Pokémon...

If your Pokémon learns Bite and/or Crunch, it should be able to learn the Fangs moves... Looking at you, Meowscarada...

Tinkaton cannot learn Earthquake... It has a HUGE hammer, but cannot shake and fissure the ground with it. It does learn Bulldoze.
Pawmot uses its palms like defibrillator pads to 'jump start' a Pokémon back into battle. The paws are designed for expelling energy, so it likely lost the capability of drawing that energy in the other direction...

Most Pokémon capable of learning Fire/Ice/Thunder Fangs via TM tend to be restricted by any Elemental Types they may have. In Meowscarada's case, Fire or Ice-Type attacks that are generated within body parts like its Teeth would be incredibly painful to use for the Grass Cat. Electricity is probably not a good idea to run through its mouth either, despite a resistance...

Tinkaton not learning Earthquake?
...I got nothing.

MrJechgo

Pawmot uses its palms like defibrillator pads to 'jump start' a Pokémon back into battle. The paws are designed for expelling energy, so it likely lost the capability of drawing that energy in the other direction...
Would love a good punching Fighting-type move though^^;
Most Pokémon capable of learning Fire/Ice/Thunder Fangs via TM tend to be restricted by any Elemental Types they may have. In Meowscarada's case, Fire or Ice-Type attacks that are generated within body parts like its Teeth would be incredibly painful to use for the Grass Cat. Electricity is probably not a good idea to run through its mouth either, despite a resistance...
Oh, yeah, good point... Still sucks that Meowscarada learns Power Gem, which is a Special move, a.k.a. useless due to its low Special Attack stat.
Tinkaton not learning Earthquake?
...I got nothing.
Come to think of it, it's a Steel type... which was weak to Ground... and Earthquake damages everyone on the field (not as recoil, mind you).

Pokefan_1987

Oh, yeah, good point... Still sucks that Meowscarada learns Power Gem, which is a Special move, a.k.a. useless due to its low Special Attack stat.
Speaking of physical moves. Meowscarada doesn't get Leaf Blade by any means available.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
It's weird that Glaceon is not able to use the new Ice Spinner move in Gen 9 as a substitute until you find Ice Beam late into the game. Ice types could benefit from any of the Ice Moves. Blizzard doesn't have a lot of PP outside of online battles because it has a high tendency to miss when needed. Not counting ice legendaries that keep their exclusive moves.
To be fair Glaceon's Attack is its lowest stat so it is not exactly a good user of the move, you are probably better off using it on a physical Ice attacker or something that appreciates the coverage.

Gargoss

Hotshot
My guess here is that Ice Spinner hasn't been named that well, as its description mentions tearing up Terrain as it slides on its makeshift Ice Skates. This implies the Pokémon using it would need to either be capable of moving lightning-fast with Ice on its feet, or be so big and heavy they smash things up despite a lack of speed, like is the case with the Pokémon that does learn Ice Spinner, Cetitan.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I kinda wish Bombirdier got Fling.

Pairing that with a Hard Stone and Rocky Payload would have been an awesome combo.

But for what baffles me is why Staraptor gets Struggle Bug now.

It seems weird, but not necessarily bad if you need Special Attack drops on demand.

Could work with Assualt Vest and Intimidate, in my opinion.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Balance. Primarina with Boomburst would be OP, it has Liquid Voice. Put it next to something like Trick Room + Rain Dance Jellicent and it's virtually unstoppable. Boomburst is a ridiculously powerful move, it can't just be handed out nilly-willy.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Any reason why Skeledirge and Primarina cannot learn Boomburst?
I can see Skeledirge getting it. But Primarina nope she's plenty powerful Sparkling Aria being 90 base power. Her Special Attack is also 126 (10 points higher than Skeledirge's)

Skeledirge would still need at least 2 uses of Torch Song to make the special attack stat strong enough to utilize Boomburst full potential. Maybe add a Normal Terrastalize typing and Silf Scarf too? Skeledirge's hidden ability is Unaware meaning it doesn't get a move STAB instantly.

Last edited: