• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Weird moves certain Pokemon can or cannot learn

Luthor

In the past I've mentioned Pokemon I thought should get metronome and interestingly a far few did this generation (and honestly most make sense) But the one that got the move that I noticed was Galarian Meowth does but only Galarian Meowth and none of the other meowths (despite there also being a TR in gen 8 where Galarian Meowth got came from and did not get the move then). This is probably to do with Persian being quadrupedal (given its Japanese name wage finger). But if that is the case I'm not sure why the move was also added to the limbless Shuppet this gen rather than just to its evolved form.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I have always thought that the Jigglypuff line should be able to learn Metronome to keep being the counterpart to Clefairy.

Luthor

I have always thought that the Jigglypuff line should be able to learn Metronome to keep being the counterpart to Clefairy.

Well good news on that front in gen 9 Jiggypuff, Wigglytuff & even Scream Tail all get metronome by TM according to this

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Cool Trainer Jennifer's Lanturn in Emerald... only knows Earthquake?
That thing isn't supposed to learn it and doesn't get any STAB bonus. What were those Game Freak employees drinking a lot when they assigned Victory Road moves?

Pokefan_1987

Well, it is based on a mole, so it makes sense for it to have claws.
Most likely some sort of hammer-space exists on pokemon when it's not in use? How else do trainers like Ash store pokeballs without the backpack is bulging...i.e. like it's about to burst?

Captain Jigglypuff

Most likely some sort of hammer-space exists on pokemon when it's not in use? How else do trainers like Ash store pokeballs without the backpack is bulging...i.e. like it's about to burst?
The anime shows that the Pokéball can be shrunken to a much smaller size. It appears to be able to become the size of a tangerine which isn’t that big.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Not really a can/cannot learn a move scenario but it blew my mind when I was looking up the move Earthquake and realized that Garchomp didn't learn it via level up.
Not only that, Garchomp’s movepool is scarce to begin with, AND they whittled it down further by removing Dual Chop and Dragon Rage from the games. Then, because the developers are just so kind, they removed Fire Fang from its remembrance pool during the generational transition, and bumped the last move it learns (Dragon Rush) up to lvl. 82 last Gen. Garchomp has always been a heavy TM investment, but this Gen. takes the crown.

Luthor

Not really a can/cannot learn a move scenario but it blew my mind when I was looking up the move Earthquake and realized that Garchomp didn't learn it via level up.

Certainly odd. My surprise with Garchomp is its limited number of flying moves despite a lot of its dex entries talking about "It flies through the sky as fast as a jet airplane" and "its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees." It's only flying type move I'm aware of in gen 9 is Aerial Ace which is learnt by a lot of Pokemon that are not known to be fliers

MrJechgo

I feel like many Dragon-type Pokémon would be eligible to Steel moves, but aren't always, as if GameFreak wwants to keep them "weaker" against Ice and Fairy...
  • Can they headbutt? Give them Iron Head.
  • Can they slam with their tail? Give them Iron Tail.
  • Do they have horns? Give them Smart Strike.
  • Do they have wings? Give them Steel Wing.
  • Do they have claws? Give them Metal Claw.
  • Can they breathe out elemental energy? Give then Flash Cannon.
Simple, no?

Luthor

Gholdengo is a Pokemon heavily influenced by a surfer (it's Japanese name is apparently Surfugo). To a point where it can travel on a surfboard on water. I know there is more to the move surf than just being able to surf (swamping the area around the user with a giant wave) but given Gholdengo is fairly good at special attacks I think it should be capable of that and has a surfer theme and can surf in game I think it would make sense for it. I can only imagine it was a balancing thing.

aawetu

Silvally can learn Grass Pledge. A move that is mostly learned by grass starters (the only exception the Pansage line). This would be odd on its own but the fact that it can't learn Fire Pledge or Water Pledge just seems random.

Captain Jigglypuff

Silvally can learn Grass Pledge. A move that is mostly learned by grass starters (the only exception the Pansage line). This would be odd on its own but the fact that it can't learn Fire Pledge or Water Pledge just seems random.
That was a glitch it seems in USUM. It was programmed in the game to be able to learn the other two but for some odd reason the Move Tutor would only teach it Grass Pledge

Pokefan_1987

Not only that, Garchomp’s movepool is scarce to begin with, AND they whittled it down further by removing Dual Chop and Dragon Rage from the games. Then, because the developers are just so kind, they removed Fire Fang from its remembrance pool during the generational transition, and bumped the last move it learns (Dragon Rush) up to lvl. 82 last Gen. Garchomp has always been a heavy TM investment, but this Gen. takes the crown.

Thats just weird between generations. They really try to nerf dragons a lot.